European riding position conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European riding position conversion

As many people here know, the European 'standard' riding position is different from the same model in the USA. The Euro footpegs are set further back which gives a more upright riding position, with feet further back and no backache. One of the big marketing things when the XS1100 first came out here was the ergonomics which allowed loads of miles to be covered in relative comfort.

Because the pegs are further back, the alloy hangers and the footpegs themselves are different, the brake lever is shorter and the gearbox cover is adorned with an adjustable linkage to put the gearchange further back along the bike. Also, the handlebars are different although they aren't as critical to the riding position. Also, as a mere aside, the clutch inspection cover has three lines cast into it to complement the gearbox engine casing.

Twice so far, I've sent all the necessary parts to two fellow XSives in the USA, for them to convert their bikes to the European riding position. In fact, FEDEX just picked up a box for one of our members.

So...what I'm thinking is....if anyone over the pond who has what you refer to as a 'standard' model and wants to change the riding position from the somewhat laid-back, legs forward, back a bit bent position....I am willing to source the parts for you and send them to you, all at cost. I'm not looking to make any money out of it.....more do it in the interests of international relations and because us Brits let you have a little go in WWII and then ran off with our women by bribing them with chocolate and nylon stockings.

So, if anyone is interested, just let me know. Here's some pix of the parts

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

If I only actually rode my XS, I'd do this in a heartbeat James! Thanks for offering it to folks.
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

James, I am interested in this conversion for my '79SF, and have done some research on the parts needed.

Please correct me if I have my list, of parts needed, out of order:

shifter cover and shifter linkage

clutch adjustment cover

chrome brake pedal

footrests

seat or seat cover and grab handles

handlebars

On my SF, I will have to fabricate the footrest mounting points as in the following pics, correct ?

1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Careful there Schming, James is offering to send Standard footrests, you may need to specify that you have a Special.

The frame you have pictured is a 5K7 (Euro Sport or RH in Oz + NZ) which is more like a Special, not a Standard, the two aluminium brackets will not swap over.

I have sent 5K7 footrests over to one of the US members on here, "XS-play", you may want to ask him how he's getting on fitting his to his Special.

Not quite sure why you'd need the finned clutch cover for different footrests

Tom
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
          On my SF, I will have to fabricate the footrest mounting points as in the following pics, correct ?
          There's more to it than just that....

You'll need to cut off the OEM Special frame mounts and the brake pedal pivot to install the 'standard' muffler/footrest mounts, convert to standard brake linkage, and this will now prevent you from using the special exhaust because the mounts will be too low.

If you want to retain the Special exhaust, you could modify the special mounts by drilling the 'new' holes for the forward footpegs, this would allow the brake linkage to remain, but the euro brake pedal will be a bit short. I'd also worry about the right side mount breaking with the added stress of the rider's weight transferred to the mount; these are known to break at the brake pivot hole already. A better choice would be to install a anti-rotation 'stop' on the frame (similar to the existing stop on the US models), that way you could use the Special mounts as-built, with only the brake pedal issue to deal with. Because the Special mounts the brake pedal pivot further back and up, the Euro pedal will be a bit short.

Not an easy install on a Special....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yes Tom, I realize James post shows the Standard 2h9? footrest brackets,
            I don't need those for my SF.

These footrests :

I believe are correct for the 5k7 Sport which I'll have to fab the mounts for 'cause our models aint got 'em.

I want the Euro style clutch cover 'cause we don't have it o'er here.

This is what I'm lookin' to do :

with this :

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              There's more to it than just that....

You'll need to cut off the OEM Special frame mounts and the brake pedal pivot to install the 'standard' muffler/footrest mounts, convert to standard brake linkage, and this will now prevent you from using the special exhaust because the mounts will be too low.

If you want to retain the Special exhaust, you could modify the special mounts by drilling the 'new' holes for the forward footpegs, this would allow the brake linkage to remain, but the euro brake pedal will be a bit short. I'd also worry about the right side mount breaking with the added stress of the rider's weight transferred to the mount; these are known to break at the brake pivot hole already. A better choice would be to install a anti-rotation 'stop' on the frame (similar to the existing stop on the US models), that way you could use the Special mounts as-built, with only the brake pedal issue to deal with. Because the Special mounts the brake pedal pivot further back and up, the Euro pedal will be a bit short.

Not an easy install on a Special....
              Steve, I will be using the stock SF's footrest mounts so the exhaust will remain the same.

The Euro brake lever mounts the same way the US models do:

Comment

Look carefully at the parts fiche; it appears that the Euro Sport/RH aluminum mounts are the same as the US models, just the footpeg mounts are different.

These look like they could be fabricated fairly easily, no frame mods needed, just a shorter brake pedal which could also be fabbed.

You'll still need the shifter bits, but those can be gotten off any euro bike...

You could probably do something similar for the standard, eliminating the euro pegs/mounts.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yes Tom, I realize James post shows the Standard 2h9? footrest brackets,
                  I don't need those for my SF. OK

These footrests :

I believe are correct for the 5k7 Sport which I'll have to fab the mounts for 'cause our models aint got 'em.

No, they are the 2H9 footrests, they don't fit the 5K7

I want the Euro style clutch cover 'cause we don't have it o'er here.
                  As good a reason as any
                  Tom
                  1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                  1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                  1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                  1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    Look carefully at the parts fiche; it appears that the Euro Sport/RH aluminum mounts are the same as the US models, just the footpeg mounts are different.

These look like they could be fabricated fairly easily, no frame mods needed, just a shorter brake pedal which could also be fabbed.

You'll still need the shifter bits, but those can be gotten off any euro bike...

You could probably do something similar for the standard, eliminating the euro pegs/mounts.
                    Yes Steve, the Al mounts are the same.

Here's a pic of the Sport frame that shows the mounts for the footrests:

Comment

No, they are the 2H9 footrests, they don't fit the 5K7

Tom would you have a pic of the 5k7 footrests ?

Comment

I just want one of the round clutch adjustment covers with those ribs on it!
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

To clarify...the group of parts I posted a pic of are all 2H9 components which are compatible with each other since they were removed from the same bike....the 'standard' European XS1100 first released in 1977. We didn't get the other variants which were marketed in the US. Ours were, I believe, the E and F models which had the same alloy hangers, footpegs etc. Here's some pix of the parts in situ..

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                            I just want one of the round clutch adjustment covers with those ribs on it!
                            the ribbed clutch inspection cover mirrors the look of the gearbox cover and linkage on the other side of the bike. IMO it looks nicer than the flat USA version. It's a straight swap. Our engines were all black with ridges in alloy eg on the cam box cover, clutch cover and gearbox cover. The pj1 satin black case paint achieves 99% the OEM finish. The black engine look was quite radical at the time and was on all the European engines. All the other Japanese manufacturers had silver engines, so the factory black really looked something cool at the time.

Comment

Hello XS community. I asked James to send me the Euro parts after falling in-love with his Black Beauty. James assured me that it was a seamless adaption of parts, so I bit. James constantly stayed in-contact with me, comparing pics of my bike, etc. to make sure everything would work. The pics shown above are the parts he's sending to me. The reason I asked for the clutch arm cover was purely asthetic. Also, the handlebars are rare, but I chose to stay with my superbike bars. I look forward to the arriving parts and painting everything. Thank you James for a valuable international service. An ambassador you are!
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X