Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully degunked...

At least the front end is now degunked

Repainted the tree, cleaned and greased the head bearing, rebuilt the forks, cleaned and re greased the speedo gears, cleaned, repainted and rebuilt the calipers, and repainted the rotors. WHEW!

Before:

And, yeah, nice bonus, the brakes actually release.

I'm going to order a new set of spokes for the XS650 wheel as they are beyond cleaning.

Now I have to get a set of turn signals for the front. I'm going to use some old 60's Yamaha units I got at a garage sale years ago for now.

My reflector / headlight bolts should be arriving soon and I will be ready to ride.

The rear caliper needs repainting, which I will do later. For now, I just want to get her on the road.
    Living to EXcess.
    1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
    Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
    1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

What a mess that was!

Nice work, Orange ... looks really good!
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Wow!

I really like the front wheel, how about a picture a little further back?

Ernie
        1979 XS110F, Stock
        1980 XS1100G, Mostly Stock, gifted to my son.
        2000 YZ 250, Sold
        2002 YZ125, Sold
        2009 Royal Star Venture
        '94 Pontiac Trans Am, 25th Anniversary, For Sale

Ernie

Comment

More degunking. I have been busy.

Refinished most of the handlebar controls and cleaned out the master cylinder.

Rebuild and repainted the rear calipers,

Degunked and polished the frame where I could get to it.

Polished the valve cover, stator cover, clutch linkage cover, oil filler, nuts and bolts.

Installed a set of mint rear frame mount turn signals and I have the front stalks ready to go.

I'm going to swap the seat, tank and side covers from the '79 because they have decent paint. Then I can get to work refinishing the original bits.

I want to get collector plates for it which will require a stock paint colour so one bike will be candy orange like I want and the other will probably be macho maroon with the gold pin striping. I wish there was a gallery on here of good pics of all the colours.

I have been fine tuning the idle jets and I am close. Will have to re-sync once that's done. I used an infra red thermometer to rough tune it. Hotter pipes are too lean and cool pipes are too rich. Then I used plug colour to gauge how close I'm getting and adjust by 1/4 turns.

I have to refinish the peg mounts. I'm undecided as to whether polish or

I still have to repair the kill switch, refinish the right control, install the polished valve cover and install a fuse panel (PO had removed it and just spliced all the wires)

I'm waiting till winter to remove and polish all of the remaining covers.

Pic request of front wheel...

And before pic:

Living to EXcess.

Comment

6 months of tinkering...

I still have to refinish the right handlebar control, paint the tank, panels and cowl and finish the rear wire wheel project. For now it's ready to ride.

I do have one major issue I have to deal with. The rear brake hits the exhaust and I can't get enough travel to be able to lock up the rear. Either I have to modify the lever or move the exhaust inboard of the peg mount brackets. I don't know if that's possible. It has the Jardine spaghetti pipes. Anyone manage to mount them inboard?
            Living to EXcess.

Comment

I believe your exhaust hangar belongs on the inboard side.

Pretty bike!
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Thanks!

That's how it came from the PO but the crossover tube has been dented so it does not slide together any farther. That can be fixed though. I will probably get to that soon. It kind of drives me nuts.

I could either:
                A) weld a new set of pipes in there (Most work)
                B) Cut some off of the inner pipe so it can slide in farther. (Cheapest, easiest job)
                C) Buy a $130 pipe expander and push out the dents. (Most expensive job.)
                Last edited by Orange4; 07-18-2014, 11:50 PM.
                Living to EXcess.

Comment

Went on a ride today and the need for a valve adjust was very apparent. Too much clicketty clack. Also want to do the ACCT swap at the same time.
                  Living to EXcess.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange4 View Post
                    Went on a ride today and the need for a valve adjust was very apparent. Too much clicketty clack. Also want to do the ACCT swap at the same time.
                    Just so you know, these engines have a loud top end. The cam noise actually goes away as the valves get out of adjustment because the clearances get smaller.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I guess they are a bit noisy anyway but I measured them when I had the cover off and a couple gaps are too big. I'm losing lift! Heaven forbid!
                      Living to EXcess.

Comment

Looking good

You have that bike looking sweet. If it ever stops raining here I need to get some pics of my restoration on my MNS posted for everyone. I love the pipes on that bike. Wish they were still available. Looks like you have easy access to the oil filter and could actually still mount an oil cooler if you wanted to.
                        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                          If it ever stops raining here I need to get some pics of my restoration on my MNS posted for everyone.
                          You could bring it to XS Southeast in September and let us look at it up close and personal! I would be about a 500 mile ride for you. It won't get you any long distance award.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Yup, I may have to drive West first to add mileage this time there seems to be a larger contingent coming.

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                              You have that bike looking sweet. If it ever stops raining here I need to get some pics of my restoration on my MNS posted for everyone. I love the pipes on that bike. Wish they were still available. Looks like you have easy access to the oil filter and could actually still mount an oil cooler if you wanted to.
                              I may not have bought it if it didn't have those pipes. They sound great too. The left side is flaking on the inside so one day I will have to get it replated, if I can get the baffles out, but for now I'm riding as is. Yup. Oil filter access is a cinch

Looking forward to your unveiling.
                              Living to EXcess.

Comment

marty

would love to, however I have prior commitments. The bike would hold up fine. I would love to make one of these though. I hope everyone has a great time. If I still lived in Macon I would have just run up there for a day trip.
                                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                                81 LH
                                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X