No announcement yet.

Wiseco Big Bore Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have time and skills I don't see why you have to throw money at tuning work.

The drag bike I spanner on is one class below Top Fuel, Funny bike in UK, it has turbo with draw through carb, of course one carb eliminates a lot of sync work, and draw through instead of blow through makes carb air leaks less of a problem.

Its a Suzuki GS1150 engine and uses standard cams and standard cam timing on exhaust, slightly retarded on inlet, 1mm oversize valves with very minimal porting on a standard head, 1327cc MTC block with decompression plate on 130-140psi compression.

With two stage Nitrous controlled with Schnitz Racing ECU and Dyna ignition pick-ups with standard Suzuki 30degree BTDC timing. With Nitrous turbo spins up to 40psi, would be less without NO2.

The last time we rolling road dyno tested it the dyno owner wouldn't let us open it up full as it had hit the limit of his machine .....400RWBHP

With that sort of power we have to use a Robinson Industries (New York) 3 speed trans, but if not using Nitrous I don't see why the standard XS11 trans wouldn't cope easily, the gear problems XS's have is usually down to wear not breakages.

The XS11 could easily have the same turbo and single carb fitted for not much outlay, and using OEM ignition make 200RWBHP, I think Math has quoted 300-sh for his Turbo XS. The XS11 clutch could do with good plates and heavy duty springs.

Yes you could easily go overboard and spend the same as a new sportsbike but you can get good results on a tight budget, after all, we race on pennies* and are fast.

*apart from the Robinsons Trans, $2500 (worth every cent)
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Wow no kidding! 40psi and the carb still feeds? Maybe I will look more into that, I had practically just assumed I'd need the fuel injection to get the bike to run well with the turbo on it. Thanks for all that extra info, so the stock rotating assembly would be good for 150ish you think then? If that's the case I may build it just to be done with it and be sure it will be right (and sneak some extra airflow) I'd like to not have to worry about all the extra wiring anyway, I'm not against carb's just didn't imagine they'd be capable but apparently not! haha
      81 XS11 Special

Comment

Keep in mind any extra load on any engine will shorten its life, you know this, I just wanted to say it again to get me off the hook when you wreck an engine

We wrecked two engines last season and have been working all winter building two new, hence the $2500 on one trans, and $700 repairing the other trans. We break crankcase open.

Our turbo high pressure is due to the 2 stage NO2, it spins the turbo up a lot harder.

Extra flow? we don't bother too much, with that pressure we're ramming the fuel in regardless of flow. Flow is more beneficial to induced engines.

We have two 2.5" blast plates on the plenum against backfiring, made out of aluminium beer cans, I volunteered for the very important job of making the plates ......which includes emptying the cans first
        Tom
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

Heres us queuing up pre race
          Tom

Comment

Wow that's awesome! Very cool. I'm definitely not looking for anywhere near that kind of power so hopefully I can avoid complete catastrophe but I think I'll definitely have a backup motor on stand-by haha Thanks for all the great info guys
            81 XS11 Special

Comment

Et/mph

Originally posted by TomB View Post
              Heres us queuing up pre race
              Hi Tom,

Pretty impressive set up you guys have there. What E.T. and MPH do you guys run? 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile? How many races do you guys attend per season? Do you ever race in the US?

First NHRA race is this weekend in Pomono, CA - Winter Nationals.
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Fastest is 7.3s and 187mph, not fast compared to you lads, but for here very very quick. For anyone who these figures mean nothing to ....the turbo'd Hyabusa's look really slow compared

The big problem we have is heat, the track just hardly gets hot enough, the last decent race day we got was in August where the bike launched with pure venomous power and grip much faster than ever before, it was really obvious from launch it was gonna be a personal best .......until it twisted the output shaft until it snapped like a carrot in the middle inside the box wrecking crank cases and trans!

We get 1.16 60 feet, 150mph 1/8, but only get another 37mph in the second 1/8, we need to get the second stage NO2 ramped in better. We have fitted a fairing last season thinking once past 150mph streamlining will start taking effect and got some slightly better results.

Track conditions are a big part here, we download the datalogger after each 1/4 and you can see from the graph that the rider has the throttle 1/2 to 3/4 open searching for grip for a lot of the 1/4. I'm not the rider, he's Dave Peters, I'm the big'un in blue. We've built 2 new engines over winter with big improvements and are looking for a 6s this year.

We do 7 Nationals per year, and may do some demo runs to try to raise funds, Dave has raced in Canada before I joined the crew but its just too costly for us now, sponsorship is hard to come by, drag racing doesn't have the same publicity that other racing gets.

Sorry if I've taken over a thread
                Tom

Comment

Tom, one big issue is the racing surface and track prep, or lack of it. The NHRA does a great job during the 'big' national events when they're running the professionals, but for the sportsmen racing it's not nearly so good and that impacts ET a lot....

My X B-I-L used to run a pro-mod turbo Suzuki (Steve Tuggle) and he said that good track prep was worth several tenths at most tracks and a 'pro' prep could gain 1/2 second. And how good the surface is to start with makes a big difference too.

He quit racing about 6-7 years ago, and his personal best was a 6.40 @ 195.
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

1.16 '60 !!!!!!!!! Insane!!!!!!! That thing has to be an absolute rocket! Blame me for the thread going off topic haha but it is in the Idle Talk section after all :P
                    81 XS11 Special

Comment

Fastest is 7.3s and 187mph, not fast compared to you lads, but for here very very quick. For anyone who these figures mean nothing to ....the turbo'd Hyabusa's look really slow compared

The big problem we have is heat, the track just hardly gets hot enough, the last decent race day we got was in August where the bike launched with pure venomous power and grip much faster than ever before, it was really obvious from launch it was gonna be a personal best .......until it twisted the output shaft until it snapped like a carrot in the middle inside the box wrecking crank cases and trans!

We get 1.16 60 feet, 150mph 1/8, but only get another 37mph in the second 1/8, we need to get the second stage NO2 ramped in better. We have fitted a fairing last season thinking once past 150mph streamlining will start taking effect and got some slightly better results.

Track conditions are a big part here, we download the datalogger after each 1/4 and you can see from the graph that the rider has the throttle 1/2 to 3/4 open searching for grip for a lot of the 1/4. I'm not the rider, he's Dave Peters, I'm the big'un in blue. We've built 2 new engines over winter with big improvements and are looking for a 6s this year.

We do 7 Nationals per year, and may do some demo runs to try to raise funds, Dave has raced in Canada before I joined the crew but its just too costly for us now, sponsorship is hard to come by, drag racing doesn't have the same publicity that other racing gets.

Sorry if I've taken over a thread
                      Hi Tom, Those are good numbers especially for poor track conditions. Sounds like you would ruin a lot more output shafts if you were on a good hooking track. Might have to invest in some titanium.

My wife and I drag race here in Georgia. Our season is from March through November. We are bracket racers and do some division races (just under national events). Her car is a rear engine dragster that runs your 60 foot times with a big block Chevy engine. Her 1/8th mile e.t. is 5.16 @ 134 MPH. I am in a 1964 (big) Chevy Impala SS with a small block which is slower - 6.40s in the 1/8th mile. Both are naturally aspirated on methanol. She is a faster and better racer than I am and was our track champion last year. I am very proud of her.

Thanks for sharing your hobby with us. I know your passion well.

Mike
                      Last edited by MPittma100; 02-07-2014, 11:02 PM.
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors
                      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                        his personal best was a 6.40 @ 195.
                        Steve, what rear tyre was he using? production of our present tyre has just stopped, we've been given a new tyre as we're skint volunteered to try it.

We have the same set-up as a lot of racers on your side who manage 6s runs so know its capable, if we can only get everything to come together at the same time, thats what we've been working on all winter.

Next race is April, last time we did the Easter meet it snowed, we were sat queuing waiting for the snow to stop so we could race. Thats how cold the track is I'll do a little report in "other bikes" section instead of messing good threads up.
                        Tom

Comment

Steve, what rear tyre was he using? production of our present tyre has just stopped, we've been given a new tyre as we're skint volunteered to try it.

We have the same set-up as a lot of racers on your side who manage 6s runs so know its capable, if we can only get everything to come together at the same time, thats what we've been working on all winter.

Next race is April, last time we did the Easter meet it snowed, we were sat queuing waiting for the snow to stop so we could race. Thats how cold the track is I'll do a little report in "other bikes" section instead of messing good threads up.
                          Tom, I haven't talked to him since I divorced his wife's sister (won't answer the phone... funny how that works... LOL) so you're depending my memory but if I recall right, he ran both Hoosier and Goodyear depending on the track. Usually Hoosier as he said they were better on poorer track conditions.

He only managed that 6.40 once; more typical times were in the 6.7 to 6.9 range at around 190 mph. He got the 6.4 at SIR with a 'fuel car' track prep along with some fast talking to let him run; he only got two passes before somebody in the tower figured it out.... LOL.

He quit racing after crashing one of his street bikes and had a 3-4 month recovery time, but was thinking about quitting anyway because of the expense. To run the big numbers, the bike broke stuff on a regular basis and the costs got to be too much. As far as I know, the race bike is still under a tarp in his garage....
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                          X