Is the XS1100 being referenced here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the XS1100 being referenced here?

The quote below from is from a period write up of a 1981 KZ1100?

"Its quarter-mile performance (11.621 seconds at 117.6 mph) promises exciting times on the highway, even if you've been jaded by 11-second quarter-mile times and 1100сс engines"

Are they referring to the XS? By 1981 the XS was around 85hp- Was yamaha still claiming high 11 sec 1/4 mile times with their 1100?

Heres the page Im quoting. The above quote is last sentence in the 3rd paragraph.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...00_a1%2081.htm

Sure as hell not referencing the Honda Goldwing, lol (GL1100).
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

He must be, but the XS11 is a better bike than the KZs that did not last...

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

No. It's about the Kawasaki KZ1100, which was derived from the Z1. By now it had been converted to shaft drive. I would be surprised if it outperformed the XS1100SH. Suzuki was a performer by then as well. The author probably has them lumped together.

Last edited by jetmechmarty; 01-26-2014, 10:49 AM.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Maybe Honda CBX or Suzi?
          Scott
          1979 XS1100F
          1978 R100S BMW

Comment

Originally posted by XS11UFO View Post
            Maybe Honda CBX or Suzi?
            CBX was 1000cc though, as was the GS, and was eaten alive by the XS1100 in Australia. Of the two CBX's in that race, one broke down and dropped out.

I've never understood why the XS hasn't ever achieved its rightful place in the hall of fame. They've certainly lasted and apart from the 2nd gear (mainly) thing, they have proved to be reliable and rock solid.

Btw.. In the Australian race, it's interesting to see the CBX wallow into corners. The rear wheel change took ages too!

Not that I'm biased, of course....
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              CBX was 1000cc though, as was the GS,
              James, maybe you're forgetting when we got what was marketed as the GSX1100, these boys got it called the GS1100

Tom
              1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
              1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
              1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
              1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

That KZ engine looks soooo tiny in the frame compared to the Suzy or Yammy. I've rode the GS1100E as well as the ES. Both really great bikes, the ES on my wish list. So, would I buy another XS over an '83 GS1100ES? Never.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                  That KZ engine looks soooo tiny in the frame compared to the Suzy or Yammy. I've rode the GS1100E as well as the ES. Both really great bikes, the ES on my wish list. So, would I buy another XS over an '83 GS1100ES? Never.
                  I'm a former owner of an '85 GS1150E - absolute rocket and a torque monster - never had an issue

with it; not as good-looking as the earlier 1100E's IMO, but still a great bike - I think the old big-bore GS engines

were one of the best engines of that era. Only reason I sold it was money concerns at the time. Looked seriously

a couple of years ago at an '81 1100E exactly like the photo TomB posted in this thread ... guy wanted too much money ... oh,well
                  Marco

Current bikes:
                  1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
                  1979 Honda CBX
                  2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
                  WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

I crew/spanner for a drag racer using the EFE engines, good solid motors
                    Tom
                    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

maybe he was thinking of the Harley XLH 1100cc Sportster 86-87 two years only before being bumped to the 1200cc
                      where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
                      Iowa the Beautiful Land 1980 XS1100SG

Comment

wow, I really thought the '83 ES was the bike I wanted, but now I saw that 1150 . . .
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

I can't really explain why, but I'm drawn to this bike.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jayel View Post
                            maybe he was thinking of the Harley XLH 1100cc Sportster 86-87 two years only before being bumped to the 1200cc
                            Mmm... I doubt it. They were about 5bhp and did the quarter mile in 2 days. Whilst sounding like a helicopter.....
                            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                              James, maybe you're forgetting when we got what was marketed as the GSX1100, these boys got it called the GS1100

no, I didn't know that. That must be what he meant then.....

Comment

Working...
                              X