No announcement yet.

sg-xj forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you try to swap the XJ forks to a XS without using the XJ balance tube, you have to make a choice; air assist OR adjustable damping, you can't have both.

If you want the adjustable damping, you have to retain the XJ fork caps and dampers, but you no longer have any way to put air into the forks. The 'air assist' springs used in the air forks are considerably 'softer' and require at least 3-4 lbs of pressure to equal the non-air springs. This is why if using the aftermarket Progressive springs that fit all XS/XJ forks, no air is needed; they're 'stiff' enough already, although you could add air for 'tuning' if possible. A set of OEM non-air assist 'standard' springs (with a preload spacer) will work the same way. You can 'tune' the forks by changing the amount of oil in them; less will make them softer in initial movement, more oil stiffer. By changing the oil level, what you're really doing is changing the air volume in the forks; more oil = less air, and vice versa. The less air, the faster it compresses to a given pressure.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Replaced a set of rusted upper fork tubes with XJ tubes on the SF when I had it. They were free so I ended up welding up the air inlet hole in the tube which was then covered up with the SF headlight ears. Also had a mix and match internals, deleted the adjustable dampener and kept the air valve on top. Rode nice, just a bit taller.
      Richard

Comment

Thanxs for the explanation Steve, I wasn't aware of the XJ fork springs being softer.

Does that mean the stock fork springs in my '80G are of the softer type being they are air forks ?

Are the '78E and '79F the only two models that didn't have the air forks ?

Or I should ask, what models came with the non air assist fork springs ?
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
          Are the '78E and '79F the only two models that didn't have the air forks ?
          Yep.....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...