sg-xj forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sg-xj forks

can you swap xj lower fork tubes onto sg upper fork tubes. cannot stand the mounting for the front brakes on sg. like the looks of the xj.and i have a complete xj parts bike.
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Short answer..... yes.

There are differences in the internals, but the lowers will swap no issues.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

hey there crazy steve,would there be any handling issues. sure would like to do this swap. will everything bolt up.
      when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
      80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Other than the different brakes, the Special/XJ fork lower geometry is identical; no handling changes.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by graybird78 View Post
          can you swap xj lower fork tubes onto sg upper fork tubes. cannot stand the mounting for the front brakes on sg. like the looks of the xj.and i have a complete xj parts bike.
          Why not just swap the whole set of forks and you'll not only have the balanced air assit but also adjustable damping.
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
            Why not just swap the whole set of forks and you'll not only have the balanced air assit but also adjustable damping.
            The triple tree and gauges would have to be swapped also because the air forks are balanced through the triple tree. The wiring for the dash would be a nightmare too I believe.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              The triple tree and gauges would have to be swapped also because the air forks are balanced through the triple tree. The wiring for the dash would be a nightmare too I believe.
              Hi Greg, Look at the second pic in this link, if you will: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37557

. . .and you will see the air assist balance tube runs underneath the top TT on the XJ, so the XJ forks can be installed into the Special TT's.

Comment

so can one swap forks between models without changing triple trees.all i really want to use is the fork tubes.dont want to change triple trees and gauges.want to keep my sg gauges. maybe i'm not asking right ?. swapping and mods is more than i want to tackle.

graybird78
                80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                  Hi Greg, Look at the second pic in this link, if you will: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37557

. . .and you will see the air assist balance tube runs underneath the top TT on the XJ, so the XJ forks can be installed into the Special TT's.
                  So, how are the balance tube and hardware held in place? I just helped trbig reseal his XJ forks and those parts seemed to be integral with the upper TT. At least they didn't move or drop out when the forks were removed.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    So, how are the balance tube and hardware held in place? I just helped trbig reseal his XJ forks and those parts seemed to be integral with the upper TT. At least they didn't move or drop out when the forks were removed.
                    The hardware for the air balance tube is sandwiched between the top TT and the headlight ears.

The top of the stock Special headlight ears will need to be shortened accordingly to use the XJ's fork tubes, and the air fill hole in the fork tube must be properly positioned.

Comment

Originally posted by graybird78 View Post
                      so can one swap forks between models without changing triple trees.all i really want to use is the fork tubes.dont want to change triple trees and gauges.want to keep my sg gauges. maybe i'm not asking right ?. swapping and mods is more than i want to tackle.
                      You can swap the whole XJ forks into your Special TT's but you would have to rig the balanced air assist tube as stated above.

Or you can just swap lowers and you won't have to fuss with the air balance tube.

Comment

So to restate the above info....

The XJ lowers will swap directly with the Special model lowers. You keep the same upper tubes. No need to change any part of the triple tree, or headlight brackets.

If you want to swap the entire fork tubes from an XJ to a Special, then you may / will need to modify the headlight brackets on the Special to accommodate the air balancing component from the XJ system.

Now here is perhaps a tricky question, can you just not use the air balance and simply cap or plug it? Can you then put the air caps from the Special into the XJ fork tubes? May be simpler than trimming the headlight brackets.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          So to restate the above info....

The XJ lowers will swap directly with the Special model lowers. You keep the same upper tubes. No need to change any part of the triple tree, or headlight brackets.

If you want to swap the entire fork tubes from an XJ to a Special, then you may / will need to modify the headlight brackets on the Special to accommodate the air balancing component from the XJ system.

Now here is perhaps a tricky question, can you just not use the air balance and simply cap or plug it? Can you then put the air caps from the Special into the XJ fork tubes? May be simpler than trimming the headlight brackets.
                          Correct on your statements above, but if one wanted to proceed with this swap I suggest using this link as a guide:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37399

In response to your first question, I would imagine that the air fill hole in the XJ fork upper tube could be welded shut or threaded and a flush plug be installed.

I'm not sure if the cap threads on the XJ's fork tubes are the same as the Specials.

Comment

If you want to use the air-assist on the XJ forks with XS top trees, you'll need to shorten the headlight ears and relocate the ignition switch as the balance tube will interfere with the switch mount and fork lock. The XJ has a fork lock, but it's separate from the switch and located on the side of the fork neck. If you can get a longer balance tube made ($$?) you could leave the XS switch where it is, but finding the right fittings may be tough....

To delete the air assist, you'll need to weld up the holes in the fork tubes; there's not enough meat there for a threaded plug. If you do this, you can't use the Special fork caps as you'll lose the adjustable damping. If you go this route (keeping the damping adjustment), install either aftermarket or non-air assist 'standard' springs with a preload spacer, then play with fork oil levels.

If you want to keep the air assist and are willing to give up the adjustable damping, weld up the holes and swap to Special fork caps and the Special dampers.

The XJ and Special fork tubes and dampers aren't the exact same lengths; as matched sets they're the same effective length, but mixing them will change the ride height slightly.

The complete XJ forks are not a direct bolt-on to a XS, but you can swap them if you're willing to do the needed mods.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                              To delete the air assist, you'll need to weld up the holes in the fork tubes; there's not enough meat there for a threaded plug. If you do this, you can't use the Special fork caps as you'll lose the adjustable damping. If you go this route (keeping the damping adjustment), install either aftermarket or non-air assist 'standard' springs with a preload spacer, then play with fork oil levels.
                              This paragraph may be slightly confusing to others who may want to do this swap.

I understand the first sentence, but could you elaborate on the second and third sentences, please.

When I swap the whole set of XJ forks into my SF I plan to lengthen the air balance tube to clear the ignition switch and shorten the headlight ears to allow room for the balance tube fork rings.
                              Last edited by Schming; 01-21-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X