Replacement of Clutch Springs/Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
    Well, you got a good winter project then, there is a tech tip on converting the XS11 to a hydraulic clutch.
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13345
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
      Castrol 20w50
      If everything is in spec and it has new Barnetts it certainly should not be slipping.

Maybe the adjustment isn't right. I've struggled with adjustment before.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        If everything is in spec and it has new Barnetts it certainly should not be slipping.

Maybe the adjustment isn't right. I've struggled with adjustment before.
        Not trying to detract from the OP post but as far as I can tell the adjustment is right. The plates were burned in a couple small spots so may just be time for new ones.
        Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
        Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
        Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
        Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
        Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
        K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
        81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

No one is detracting from the OP, simply discussing and elaborating on it.

There would have to be smoke billowing out of the crank case for the clutch plates to get burned in a wet clutch system. A slipping clutch can be caused by any number of things the least of which is worn or burnt frictions in this type of system.

In most cases a slipping clutch isn't cured by replacing the frictions but by the other things discussed here.

Just saying. No sense replacing parts unnecessarily.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

One thing to note is that if you soak the steels over night in e-vapo rust they come out looking like factory. It will not remove blueing but, man it cleans them up nice, with no sand paper or stuff like that. I posted it a long time ago, showed pic's and all that but it escapes my old fart mind right now.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thanks for the evapo-rust tip Ras. I may do just that. The hydraulic mod looks fun, and it's something that has always intrigued me. I'll be okay without it though. Barnett springs as suggested by Greg and the rest will work great. Thanks fellas.
              1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Spring Tension

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                Yeah, I've read through many posts regarding the EBC springs (including Nate's above), and was advised to stay away from those. They come too short, and are weak. I'll be going for some Barnett springs. Not sure I want HD springs though, as I hate a still clutch, and love the hydraulic clutches on my other bikes.
                How was the tension of the available springs determined, mathmatically, guestimate or by a spring checker?

The stock clutch springs, Vesrah and EBC springs all have the same wire diameter, spring OD and are the same height however the stock and Vesrah springs have 10 coils while the EBC springs have 9 _guess which is the stiffest?

The only sure way to determine the tension of a spring is to test it on a spring tension tester because although springs may differ in the number of coils, type of wire and so forth only a test will be exact.

Some of these super stiff springs everyone talks about are designed for a diaphragm clutch which of course our XS doesn't have however it's true that a worn out clutch will slip but with enough spring tension it might not.
                81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

How was the tension of the available springs determined, mathmatically, guestimate or by a spring checker?
                  I got this at 650Central.com:

Heavy Duty Clutch Springs
                  Fits all XS
                  Set of 6, 14% stronger than stock
                  Spring free length is about 1.67".

Heavier Duty Clutch Springs
                  Fits All XS
                  Set of 6, 27% stronger than stock
                  Spring free length is about 1.61".

Heaviest Duty Clutch Springs
                  Fits all XS
                  Set of 6, 43% stronger than stock
                  Spring free length is about 1.50".

And that is what I know about clutch springs. It's blind trust for 650 Central.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hodges View Post
                    Some of these super stiff springs everyone talks about are designed for a diaphragm clutch which of course our XS doesn't have however it's true that a worn out clutch will slip but with enough spring tension it might not.
                    That's an incorrect assumption, Dan. With Vesra and EBC, I was going through at least two sets of springs, and sometimes three in a riding season. Of all the clutches I've had apart and mic'd, I've only personally seen one friction plate slightly out of spec. and never seen an out of spec. steel. That in no way prevents them from slipping though. These other springs lose their tension quickly and the clutches will slip even with everything else adjusted right and in spec. Vesra and EBC will usually work for a little while and fix a slipping clutch, but they don't last. I've had these Barnett springs in for at least three full riding seasons now with lots of stoplight launches and wheelies without a single hint of a slip. You say they aren't designed for our clutches, but they are apparently exactly what these clutches need. They work, they work well, and they continue working long after the others fail.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have had Vesrahs in one of mine for a very long time (more than a decade). No problems with them. I will admit this is my naked bike, so it doesn't get as much use as the others and my riding time is split between 4 bikes.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        That's an incorrect assumption, Dan. With Vesra and EBC, I was going through at least two sets of springs, and sometimes three in a riding season. Of all the clutches I've had apart and mic'd, I've only personally seen one friction plate slightly out of spec. and never seen an out of spec. steel. That in no way prevents them from slipping though. These other springs lose their tension quickly and the clutches will slip even with everything else adjusted right and in spec. Vesra and EBC will usually work for a little while and fix a slipping clutch, but they don't last. I've had these Barnett springs in for at least three full riding seasons now with lots of stoplight launches and wheelies without a single hint of a slip. You say they aren't designed for our clutches, but they are apparently exactly what these clutches need. They work, they work well, and they continue working long after the others fail.
                        With a stock motor the stock Yamaha clutch works as intended however the stock clutch and springs will slip on the dyno once you get into the mid 90's horsepower range.
                        I bought all the springs I could find and benched them and eventually finished my dyno sessions with new Yamaha disk and EBC springs and all was well.

I don't know what type of wire the Barnett springs are wound from but the Veshra, EBC and stock springs are wound from Oteva wire which is good stuff but it does and will lose some tension given enough abuse however I've solved the problem and have moved on to the final solution
                        Last edited by Dan Hodges; 02-14-2014, 07:00 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

however I've solved the problem and have moved on to the final solution
                          Way to leave us hanging Dan......
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

With a stock motor the stock Yamaha clutch works as intended however the stock clutch and springs will slip on the dyno once you get into the mid 90's horsepower range.
                            I bought all the springs I could find and benched them and eventually finished my dyno sessions with new Yamaha disk and EBC springs and all was well.

I don't know what type of wire the Barnett springs are wound from and stiff they are but the Veshra, EBC and stock springs are wound from Oteva wire which is good stuff but it does and will lose some tension given enough abuse however I've solved the problem and have moved on to the final solution.
                            I have since begun using the inner spring from a set of KMotion valve springs which are about 15-20 percent stouter compressed than the EBC/Vesrah/OEM stuff however the KMotion springs are made of H-11 tool steel and do not lose tension.

I learned long ago that when it comes to mechanical things one can sometimes find more than one way to solve a problem and so it is with clutch springs.

My naked Special is a stout piece but I seldom do wheelies on it for the sake of wheelies or charge away from traffic lights like a man running from his sx-wife but I do like to race but on the Interstate where I can get it on with something that's worth racing and there is no point in racing my XS against a Busa or a Harley because a Busa would kill the XS and the Harley is out to lunch.

It is in my humble opinion that Yamaha was savvy enough to put enough clutch in the XS however if you add a bunch more power add a bunch more weight or both the clutch might need strengthening depending on the person sitting in the saddle and of course there are those who walk among us that could break an Abrams tank.

Comment

there are those who walk among us that could break an Abrams tank.
                              Yeah, I know someone in a little place called Ada that fits that description to a T.
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I would clean the driven plates with fine wet and dry. I've used it lightly on the friction plates too, in the past. Check the clutch basket and file off any ridges in the 'legs'.

Put new springs in. And a new clutch release bearing.

Re EBC springs....the problem with any forum is that someone may have a bad experience with something, posts about it, and it becomes carved in stone thereafter. One person says " don't us XXXX" and someone else quotes it and before you know it does the rounds and becomes 'true'. Clutch slippage on the bike originally the subject of the EBC post, could have been caused by several other factors.

As a matter of interest, does anyone have any actual evidence re these springs being "weaker" or less durable? Like a compression test? Or is it all anecdotal evidence?

Re hydraulic clutch....my XJR has one....the slave cylinders are notorious for leaking! I've already had to do mine....
                                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                                X