oil consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil consumption

are our bikes known for using oil?. ive owned my sg for 13 yrs.had 14k on when i bought it .it now has 45k on it, and still uses oil. not leaking it ,plugs dont show evidence of burning it.but will always use 2-3 quarts between oil changes.not that it matters to me oil is cheaper than motors.have used different oils over the years. been using rotella 15-40 for yrs with lcas oil treatment for extra protection.any thoughts.
    when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
    80 sg (old faithfull)

Running Rotella and Lucas Oil Treatment it really suprises me that your not on here complaining of a clutch slip. Either one by itself can cause a slipping clutch.

My bike uses about 1-1 1/2 quarts between oil changes. More or less depending on how hard I push it. Always has.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by graybird78 View Post
      will always use 2-3 quarts between oil changes.

How many miles between changes? 1 qt or so every 1,000 miles doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I'm not much of a fan of additives, and I prefer to use 20W50. I usually use oil designed for motorcycles. I still probably add a qt about every 1000 miles.

There's a good read about engine oil in issue 12 of Iron & Air Magazine.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I usually have to add 1/2 to 1 litre/quart of 20W/50 oil between oil changes depending how I ride and Km between changes. I have been using Lucas oil for a few years without any clutch slipping.
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Mine is more hit n miss. Sometimes I'll have to use a half qt between changes, but most of the time, I'll not have to add any, though most of the guys I ride with that have XSs will have to add a little on trips, so it seems fairly common. Well over 100k on this rebuild, so I feel pretty lucky, especially since I haven't babied it very much.

That being said, I think you'll find if you use a good 20/50 oil and quit using additives, your consumption will go way down, as Marty suggested. Most report quiter motors and smoother shifting after going to the 20/50.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

when i first got the sg i used only bike spec oil. always had missed shifts and false nuetrals.finally ended up with rotella and lucas .never any clutch slippage ever. i have hammered the crap outta this thing till i thought i would fly apart. the trans shifts quit and smooth oil ussage depends on temps and how hard i ride. anywhere from 1-2 1/2 qts every 2k.beleive me i have not been nice to bike at times.she will take everything i can through at her and has.
            when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
            80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

2k on oil changes.oils cheap.motors are not. has always used oil no matter what im using .even swithed to 20-50 havoline motor cycle spec oil no difference.

graybird78
              80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Oil

My Yami uses oil. Not a lot so I never bothered to measure it. Have about 40,000 miles on him.
                Unkle Crusty

Comment

I don't know for sure WHY, but 100% synthetic oil is "consumed" the fastest. This was before I knew about clutch slippage issues. Blends are much better for both issues.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I believe synthetic and consumption to be a myth. It will find it's way through certain kinds of paper gaskets, but it wouldn't be enough to be seen as consumption. Synthetic oil should have higher film strength and the viscosity will not break down as quickly as so-call dino oils. If the synthetic oil is motorcycle specific, the clutch won't be an issue.

I've switched back and forth between dino oil and synthetic without issue. My XS650 and XS1100 don't mind either type. I have used gallons of Rotella or other diesel product as well. They all worked just fine for me. Right now, I'm using Yamalube 20W50 because it's the most economical option. I get it for about $18 per gallon online. I'm not using synthetic because I'm a cheap smack as are some of you out there. After spending a small fortune on engine oil, I tend to not want to drain it.

The best oil is clean and slippery!

Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

With that question as with any you are hit with a barrage of conflicting answers everyone believing theirs to be correct. And, they are for them.

If your bike uses oil, it will use oil. If your bike's clutch slips or not with certain additives or oils, it will slip.

There are too many variables between riders and conditions for there to be a definitive answer.

It is what it is.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

On my 7000 mile trip last summer I used a quart every 1000 miles like clockwork. I was using Mobil 1 15w50 (goldcap Extended Life - not V-Twin) and had neither slipping clutch issues nor XSive consumption problems.

John
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Oh boy, another oil thread!

Hey there Greybird,

Okay, you got the bike with some miles and some age on it. No telling how long it would sit before it was ridden, and then apparently not for very long trips when ridden. So...there's the possibility that the oil rings may have gotten gummed and partially stuck??

I would suggest an experiment of putting in some(1/2 bottle or so) MMO just before your next oil change, gently bring the engine up to normal operating temps(fan blowing across headers) and do NOT perform any strong full throttle blips or Ride/Drive/put any load on it. Then after normal temperature is obtained, run for another 5 minutes. Then turn off, drain, change filter, and put in fresh oil....as suggested 20/50 range vs. 15/40, thicker on both ends, and ride and check your consumption.

The tolerances on these are not as tight as modern cars/bikes, and so there's more room for the oil to slip by the rings, so as several have stated some usage is probably normal, again dependent upon bikes age/engine miles, etc.. I have rebuilt my topend some 10 years ago with Wiseco kit, had a bike racing shop perform the boring/matching of pistons/rings to bores, and did the gentle version of the breakin procedure, and I rarely have to add oil in between changes, and I now have some 15-20k miles on the topend rebuild!
                          Also running just Castrol GTX 20/50.

T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think on my bike I use some oil due to valve seals being dried up(bike sat for 20+ years), and I always got some smoke out of exhaust on start up...
                            Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                              I believe synthetic and consumption to be a myth. It will find it's way through certain kinds of paper gaskets, but it wouldn't be enough to be seen as consumption. [/IMG]
                              Well, you can claim it to be a myth, but when I switched from Mobil 1 Syn to Castrol Dino juice, the oil consumption dropped dramically. Maybe it is something other than viscosity ratings that allows it to slip by the rings(?)
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                              X