Xs1100r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    To tell the truth, I'd use a lightened Special fender and fork brace over the XJ fender; it really is a heavy mother and can't be helping unsprung weight, although the swirly wheels are lighter than the XS units.

As to 'matching' final drives, they're all the same regardless of the rear wheel, just different finishes unless you're thinking of a 750/850 FD swap. Personally, I'm not a fan of the FD swap as it will reduce performance IMO.... and I like performance...
    Point taken on the fender, Steve.

I'm definately keeping the stock XS 1100, low ratio, FD. I had a brain fart and wondered if the XJ's rear hub spline was the same, or would fit the XS FD, but I don't recall ever reading anything different about FD's between the XS & XJ.

Originally posted by TomB View Post
    OE mounts, I'm not trying to use the engine for strength, I feel that the engine castings are not strong enough, I've seen many crashed XS1100's with broken rubber mount holes broken simply from the jolt of sudden stopping.

I do shim the OE mounts when fitting them, rolled shim around the mounts makes them tighter in the engine holes, but to bring the mounts back to new spec.
    Thanxs for the reply, Tom.
    I'll keep that in mind if I decide not to solid mount the engine.
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Got some last very interesting bits of info regarding the RH and 5K7 Sport models.
      Regarding the swingarms, they are listed as the same part as the previous EFGH standard and Special types, so there's nothing trick about them. Yamaha must have thought them up to the task.

A factor not mentioned so far are the motors. For all intents and purposes, they are 78E in specification. Same cams and small valve heads are used, and the pistons are of Euro 2H9 heritage. Not sure what the differences are between the euro pistons and the US types, as the part numbers are different, but someone should be able to chime in with an answer to that riddle.
      All else appears the same with the rest of the engine parts, but there has been a modification to the oil pan, with the addition of an extra windage tray, presumably to combat oil surge under braking and acceleration.

Here's a pic I've borrowed off Shappers, showing the difference between the Standard sump on the right with the 5K7 one on the left

Another view.
      79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
      Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
      *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
      *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Not looking at how it mates to the case, is that a crank wiper on the pan?
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Hi Errol, would you be able to post the width and height of the extra anti-slosh plate that the RH & 5K7 pan has ?

Easy enough fabrication if it makes a difference.
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Sorry, Schming. I've only got a wriggly framed, oil surging Special here at home. Shouldn't be too hard to make it close enough in size just from going off the photos

Just thinking that as the Sport / RH models had the early model based motor with the extra ponies, may have been the reason for not selling these models in the states due to the ever more strict requirements for meeting US pollution control standards.
            79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
            Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
            *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
            *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Working...
            X