Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets say that I want a general purpose tire....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Sparkfly,

I did a little searching on this site, and found these SHINKO Dual Sport type tires, this is their 700 series rear that comes in a size for Standards 17, they don't have a 16!
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...port-rear-tire

The price is ~$61.99 for the rear. The Rear tire's capacity is 677 lbs, tubeless type.

THey don't offer the 700 in front tire sizes, but they have a 244 series in a 2.75 x 19.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...nt---rear-tire

This front is ~ $31.99. According to the SHINKO site, it's only a TUBE TYPE, and weight capacity is 342 lbs. Remember, divide the bikes total weight with rider and baggage by 2 for the weight that will be on the front. So...this tire may not be strong enough???

Okay, their 705 series has this size: in 110/80 Q-19 Tubeless $49.99 and has 536 lbs capacity! Not quite as aggressive a pattern, but still more than a regular street, and more load capacity, and the price is also quite good!

They had several other brands, but they are quite $$, some look too much like regular street tires, and others were extreme knobby/dirt styles.

Happy Shopping

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Nice that your on board with my crazy idea

110-80/19 705 will fit the front??
      I'm pretty terrible at fitting tires to sizes that are different

The front tire has plenty of meat on it, its just the rear...
      I have been looking at this tire, which is why I asked about the 5.10 size..

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...port-rear-tire

Last edited by sparkfly88; 12-31-2013, 09:19 PM.
      79F
      "Excelsior"
      Honda gl1100 handlebar
      Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
      OE headers,Jardine slipons
      Hid headlight 6000k
      Stock jets
      Shinko 712 F & R
      Oe hardbags and luggage rack
      TC fuse block
      K&n filter with oe airbox
      Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Hey again,

Here's a photo from the rear tire change pictorial that shows a Dunlop E3 140/90-16 rear tire inflated/mounted and a caliper measuring the width. The previous was an Elite II 140/90-16 and it measured ~5.66 inches wide, the E3 is a little narrower. The Elite II did rub the swingarm a bit with the raised white letters, the E3 which is a little narrower also shows just a slight rub of the black sidewall...barely, but I don't think it's an narrow as a 5.10 size. I would think the 5.10 would be narrow enough to not rub. Different manufacturers and models have different actual sizes in their similar metric size specs, so a 130/90 in one brand/type/style may be a little different in another brand even though it may also say 130/90 ! YMMV

You say your front tire has plenty of tread, but if it's a pure street pattern, you may still want to think about swapping it out for a more aggressive pattern. Remember, the front tire provides most of the braking power, as well as the steering, and if it doesn't have enough grip for the terrain, then if could slip out on you vs. the rear?? If you perform the swap yourself, then it shouldn't cost you anything more, you could put the Dual Sports on for your trip, and then put the street back on for the rest of your normal riding environments.

T.C.

PS, the stock front tire size is 100/90-19. The 110 is a little wider, and the height profile is a little shorter being 80% of the width, vs. the 90% for the other. Folks have installed other tires of 110 size on the fronts, is a little closer to the fender, but has room and not rubs. The 110/80 will just be a little less tall.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I do like that the 700 series is tubeless...keeps things simple...
          And actual photos of the tire makes it not as cheesy looking

I've been riding to work and back with the naked bike so far, its been quite enjoyable...I have the feeling Excelsior is being turned into a dirt bike

Good point on the metric tire variances... I do remember installing aftermarket tires on customers cars that were the same size, but different brand...some would rub, and some wouldnt.

But I know ZERO about the older tire measurements..

and yes, I'll be installing and balancing myself, so the only pocket expence is the tires.

The front 110/80/19 and rear 5.10/17 free shipping would be 111.98
          Last edited by sparkfly88; 12-31-2013, 09:43 PM.
          79F
          "Excelsior"
          Honda gl1100 handlebar
          Hid headlight 6000k
          Stock jets
          Shinko 712 F & R
          TC fuse block
          Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

I've ridden a lot of miles on dirt, gravel, and even out across desert sands on my XJ with regular street tires. The only advantage I see on you using these knobbied type tires would be in slick mud, and in that, you're going to have a lot of trouble keeping a 600 lb bike upright no matter the tire and those wimpy knobbies really aren't going to do you any good and will quickly clog with mud. It's hard to find a good full knobbied dirt bike rear tire that does that well. If it makes you feel better to have them, then so be it, but there's nowhere you'll go on that bike with those tires that someone else of equal experience on street tires wouldn't also be able to go. It's not personal, it's just physics.

Just my 2 cents..
            Last edited by trbig; 12-31-2013, 11:04 PM.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

But hey.. If you want to go full dirt look, get a Dunlop D606 rear. Full knobbies and I get over 5k out of them riding on the street with my dual sport. It comes in a 130/90/17.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

It's the ratio

Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
                So according to the Interwebs.......a 5.10-17 is the same as 130-90-17 for the rear tire....
                yes?
                Hi sparkfly,
                well, kinda.
                5.1" = 129.5 mm so both tires are the same width and for sure they'll fit on the same wheel.
                However, inch-size tires tend to be 100%, that is, the height is equal to the width.
                The -90 suffix on the metric tire sez it's height is 90% of it's width which means that if the inch-size tire does in fact have a 100% ratio it will have a bigger outside diameter than the 130/90-17.
                But only until that soft grippy tread wears down.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  Hi sparkfly,
                  well, kinda.
                  5.1" = 129.5 mm so both tires are the same width and for sure they'll fit on the same wheel.
                  However, inch-size tires tend to be 100%, that is, the height is equal to the width.
                  The -90 suffix on the metric tire sez it's height is 90% of it's width which means that if the inch-size tire does in fact have a 100% ratio it will have a bigger outside diameter than the 130/90-17.
                  But only until that soft grippy tread wears down.
                  Good enough for me
                  79F
                  "Excelsior"
                  Honda gl1100 handlebar
                  Hid headlight 6000k
                  Stock jets
                  Shinko 712 F & R
                  TC fuse block
                  Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

I found a nice tire size comparison calculator

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

the 100/90 vs 110/80 shows the 110/80 is .40" wider than the 100/90.

Will that really fit? I went out and looked at fender and tire...itll be CLOSE
                    79F
                    "Excelsior"
                    Honda gl1100 handlebar
                    Hid headlight 6000k
                    Stock jets
                    Shinko 712 F & R
                    TC fuse block
                    Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Shinko 230 Tourmaster front and rear.
                      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                      X