Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets say that I want a general purpose tire....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets say that I want a general purpose tire....

Ive got over 4k on my shinkos now, and the rear is getting lower than I'd like it to be in the center.

I like general purpose and I see the Shinko 705 fits the bill. And to be honest, I almost put it on before buying what I have now.

Being that it is a tube type tire...I guess I need a tube....and a rim rubber strip?
    79F
    "Excelsior"
    Honda gl1100 handlebar
    Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
    OE headers,Jardine slipons
    Hid headlight 6000k
    Stock jets
    Shinko 712 F & R
    Oe hardbags and luggage rack
    TC fuse block
    K&n filter with oe airbox
    Raptor 660 Acct

general purpose tire...

fwiw, I have Dunlop d404's on my '80 special. I get about 8-9,000 miles out of a pair and I've had them on everything from an xs400 to a gl1200. i'm a conservative rider, mostly dry riding but an occasional rain downpour, and I've never had a moments concern with these tires. cost about $250/pair installed. they may not be a great tire for an aggressive rider but they make a good commuter tire. I've run them tubeless on all the bikes except the cb55k(had tubes and rim strips).
    Last edited by 650mark; 12-30-2013, 09:38 AM.

Comment

But I need some occasional non pavement traction...

I think the 404 has a bible written from it somewhere, that tire has quite a following
      79F
      "Excelsior"
      Honda gl1100 handlebar
      Hid headlight 6000k
      Stock jets
      Shinko 712 F & R
      TC fuse block
      Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

You don't say which Shinko you have on there, but a lot of people use the Shinko 712. I've gone through a bunch of them and usually get in the 5k mile range with them from a rear and double that for a front, but you sure can't beat the price. A little higher mileage when it's cooler, a little less in summer. Plus, I've never had a single problem with them in any weather condition and have been the best I've used in rain. I haven't heard many great things about their 777 or Tourmasters though.

@ Mark.. I'm just astounded at your D404 results. Several people I know have used them, including me, and I've not heard of anyone getting over 2500 miles on a rear tire. Ivan had one wear through the chords and develop a leak at 1500 miles. I rate them personally as the 2nd worst tire I've ever used.. with the Bridgestone Battle Axe being the worst. The HANDLING of the 404 wasn't bad, but it just wears out like pencil eraser.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have the 712 as per my signature.

I have nothing but praise for them, but its getting a little slippery in the center, I'd say its down to 3-4 32nds...

The front doesnt look like its worn at all...which is also a 712
          79F
          "Excelsior"
          Honda gl1100 handlebar
          Hid headlight 6000k
          Stock jets
          Shinko 712 F & R
          TC fuse block
          Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

So nothing but praise for them and they're the cheapest rear tire you can buy... What was the question again?

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

I need a better tire with tread blocks...for a little offroad...
              79F
              "Excelsior"
              Honda gl1100 handlebar
              Hid headlight 6000k
              Stock jets
              Shinko 712 F & R
              TC fuse block
              Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

@ Mark.. I'm just astounded at your D404 results. Several people I know have used them, including me, and I've not heard of anyone getting over 2500 miles on a rear tire. Ivan had one wear through the chords and develop a leak at 1500 miles. I rate them personally as the 2nd worst tire I've ever used.. with the Bridgestone Battle Axe being the worst. The HANDLING of the 404 wasn't bad, but it just wears out like pencil eraser.[/QUOTE]

I hear the same thing from the VentureRiders forum about D404 tires, but I have run them for over 150,000 miles on my 02 Venture and always get
                9-10,000 miles on the rear and 15k on the front.

Jim Parks aka Sylvester
                Where did all the years go? I think I slept through the last two decades.

2002 Royal Star Venture
                1980 XS11SG

Comment

Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
                  - - - Being that it is a tube type tire...I guess I need a tube....and a rim rubber strip?
                  Hi sparkfly,
                  I'm totally sold on tubeless tires but if you insist on leaping back into the past,
                  a rim strip is used to stop a wire wheel's spoke nipples from chafing holes in the inner tube so no, you don't need one on a cast wheel.
                  There's also the hassle of installing tire retaining clips (if indeed you decide to fit them, I gave up on using the bastards decades ago.)
                  Last edited by fredintoon; 12-30-2013, 01:39 PM.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Uhhhu huhhu huhuh.. Fred said nipples chafing.. uhuh huhhh.

Sylvester.. I don't know what to say except good for you guys?? If I could get anywhere NEAR that kind of mileage out of them for the price they are, I'd run them too. I just... can't. And nobody I've ridden with can either?

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

wow, I can't imagine going "off road" on an xs1100 regardless of the type of tires on it. "you're a braver man than me, gunga dinh"
                      my xs is about all I can handle even under the best of road or terrain conditions and I avoid dirt or gravel roads as much as I can. I have a 500 mile ride through death valley coming up in march(third time) and a small part of the route is on a VERY unmaintained gravel road and i'm usually one of the last in line going the slowest possible speed so I don't fall over. I hate it when that happens! as for getting very low mileage from the Dunlop d404's i'm sure those riders are much more aggressive( read that as "faster") than I am. I've tried several other brands of tires over the last 30 years but the dunlops have always worked as well or better for me than most, even the real expensive ones. I usually stick with what works best. I guess that's why I've had so many yamahas over the years

Comment

I've already ridden Excelsior on gravel, shell, and grass areas...

Just not dirt.......yet.
                        79F
                        "Excelsior"
                        Honda gl1100 handlebar
                        Hid headlight 6000k
                        Stock jets
                        Shinko 712 F & R
                        TC fuse block
                        Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          Uhhhu huhhu huhuh.. Fred said nipples chafing.. uhuh huhhh.
                          Hi Tod,
                          I very carefully typed spoke nipples
                          There's an easy way to tell the difference between spoke nipples and the other ones.
                          Gawd, I hate the taste of brass.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
                            wow, I can't imagine going "off road" on an xs1100 regardless of the type of tires on it. "you're a braver man than me, gunga dinh"
                            my xs is about all I can handle even under the best of road or terrain conditions and I avoid dirt or gravel roads as much as I can. I have a 500 mile ride through death valley coming up in march(third time) and a small part of the route is on a VERY unmaintained gravel road and i'm usually one of the last in line going the slowest possible speed so I don't fall over. I hate it when that happens! as for getting very low mileage from the Dunlop d404's i'm sure those riders are much more aggressive( read that as "faster") than I am. I've tried several other brands of tires over the last 30 years but the dunlops have always worked as well or better for me than most, even the real expensive ones. I usually stick with what works best. I guess that's why I've had so many yamahas over the years
                            In my younger years I have has guys mounted on 750 Honda's that could make me eat dust on my dirt bike. It was a hard pill to swallow but that is what they were used to riding on, in gravel road Saskatchewan. Point is that if you know how to ride the bike on the surface given, you will know how to ride it to the ends of the earth.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

So according to the Interwebs.......a 5.10-17 is the same as 130-90-17 for the rear tire....

yes?
                              79F
                              "Excelsior"
                              Honda gl1100 handlebar
                              Hid headlight 6000k
                              Stock jets
                              Shinko 712 F & R
                              TC fuse block