Bringing an XJ back to life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing an XJ back to life...

Pulled the motor today on my most recent jigsaw puzzle.

Most of the bike is in those boxes you see on the left. P.O. said it has the gear problem these 1100s have, so thought I'd split the cases and give everything a look. He had bought most of the stuff to make the bike fuel injected because he hated carbs, but he had the cheap Emgo filters on them and the vacuum advance was hooked up to the carb bell not the boot? I'm going to bring it back with carbs because I know absolutely squat about fuel injection.

Tearing into it a bit, I drained the middle drive and saw massive chunks and shavings of metal stuck to the magnetic drain plug, so assuming the middle drive is junk and made me wonder if it has gear problems or the middle drive was the culprit? We'll see when I get to the gears.

50k miles on the odometer and I see that someone else had split the cases before. Engine numbers match the frame at least. I'll probably try to contact P.O. and see if he knows why the cases were split. Gaps on all the shims were really tight and #1 had zero clearance, so I'm going to have to check to make sure the valve isn't burnt. Assuming it had never been shimmed since new. Several were at that point where the specs say .21-.25 gap and they were like a .16 or .17, so that one shim will put it back at the very bottom of the spec. so you aren't really sure to go slightly over spec or just put it back in at the bottom of the spec.

I will also be pulling the head to be able to mic the cylinders and to plug off the YICS tube, but I quit for the day to go eat with the family for my birthday. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions when it comes to that elctrical stuff I suck so bad at.. lol. Everything has been disconnected and taken off, so all the magic smoke is gone...
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Looks like a project! Good luck with it!

And Happy Birthday Tod!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Happy birthday, Tod!

Have you ever found a worn shift drum on one of these engines?
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Multiple engines

I like the multiple engines under the workbench.
        Are they all 11"s?
        78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Wow Tod, and I thought I worked fast...Less than a day and your down to that! I feel like a lazy bum now.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys.

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

Have you ever found a worn shift drum on one of these engines?
            No, not personally. I think the buttons on the shift forks are going to be the wear item, wouldn't they?

@ RDMCguy... Yeah, those are motors for these 11's. I've got a few more than that, but those were just engines I've gotten without bikes. I was going through them at a pretty good pace at one time, but seem to have slowed down lately.

The one at the far right, I just happened to catch a Craigslist ad when I was going down to Texas to pick up the Limie bike. It came from a bike shop with good compression numbers scrolled on an attached tag, but the guy never used it. $25 with chrome covers.. said it was going to junkyard if nobody claimed it. So...

Middle motor came from Bob Jones' house. It was up on his engine stand and was about to get built for one of his project bikes when he passed away. I haven't gotten into it to check on the internals, but just making an assumption that Bob wouldn't have grabbed a worn out motor to work on with all the low mileage parts bikes he had around the place. I'll give it a look-over one of these days.

Motor on the left is apart, but it has the cylinders and pistons from a low-mileage motor that came from a guy that wanted his bored and Wiseco pistons installed. Talked him into getting another set jugs to bore and leaving these good stock ones intact.

We won't discuss the other motors in parts bikes or all the extra parts from other motors.. You may be able to catch me in a future adddition of Hoarders.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              Wow Tod, and I thought I worked fast...Less than a day and your down to that! I feel like a lazy bum now.
              Not saying you're NOT a lazy bum.. lol.. but the bike came home with me looking like this already. As I said, most of the bike is in the boxes you see here on the trailer.

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

Happy Birthday Tod. Another good project underway. Keep those pictures and stories coming.
                Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Happy Birthday Tod! I was thinking, that must be a good-sized bench you have, as that 11 engine looks small sitting on it. Shoot, my 750/850 engines are small next to the 1100, and they are not easy to lug around. I cannot imagine pulling my 11.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Nice XJ project...Happy Birthday you young fart...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ahh..IC said the blind man....Bike ala-box. OK so you had a head start on me. So I am a cheap azz and a lazy bum.

and a belated happy B-day to you Tod.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                        Happy Birthday Tod! I was thinking, that must be a good-sized bench you have, as that 11 engine looks small sitting on it. Shoot, my 750/850 engines are small next to the 1100, and they are not easy to lug around. I cannot imagine pulling my 11.

I ripped a piece of plywood, so the main bench is 8' x3' and used the 1' piece for a top shelf. I made the base from old treated guardrail posts I got for free from work. The part that was buried in the ground is still good, so I just pressure washed them and good to go. It worked out pretty well, so after I clean up the garage a bit, I'm going to add another 8' section along that wall and match that along the opposite wall. Wife wants to be able to park a car in a 2-car garage... can you imagine the nerve? She's sure cutting into my motorcycle space. But.. she's already told me to build a shop, so I'll have some more room to buy more motorcycles..

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          I ripped a piece of plywWife wants to be able to park a car in a 2-car garage... can you imagine the nerve?
                          I have the same problem!
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                            - - - Wife wants to be able to park a car in a 2-car garage... can you imagine the nerve? She's sure cutting into my motorcycle space. But.. she's already told me to build a shop, so I'll have some more room to buy more motorcycles..
                            Hi Tod,
                            I was offered alternatives:-
                            Option 1) Make sure there is garage space for the car while there is snow on the ground.
                            Option 2) Get up at 6:30 am to go outside, unplug the car's block heater, scrape the ice off the windows and start the engine so she has a warm car to drive to work.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred, think of all the exercise you're getting while your bikes stay nice and dry/warm...

Oops.. You mean you didn't choose that option?

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100