Riding a naked Excelsior!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding a naked Excelsior!

Today when I got home from work, I decided to remove my fairing to kill an electrical gremlin I'm my ignition connector... Ended up being a rotted out female spade...

Then I decided to remove my hardbags as well.

Then put my old headlight back in, with the HID.
    Removed the calipers, painted them, as well as my swing arm, and final drive.

I haven't ridden Excelsior nude like this, since before it actually ran good.

Oh my! Soooooo much lighter, and more agile. Woo!
    I might get in trouble around town with Excelsior setup like this.

One thing I did notice... Riding without a shield... When you hit 60..the wind, causes my head to like... Drift side to side... So weird.

Last edited by sparkfly88; 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM.
    79F
    "Excelsior"
    Honda gl1100 handlebar
    Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
    OE headers,Jardine slipons
    Hid headlight 6000k
    Stock jets
    Shinko 712 F & R
    Oe hardbags and luggage rack
    TC fuse block
    K&n filter with oe airbox
    Raptor 660 Acct

It looks good that way.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I like the COLOR!!! I see some low-profile bars, stock seat, tank & side cover badges in your future to make the bike look really fast!
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

The previous owner did that....

I reversed it all

Stock seat pan is rusted through... The rear end was chopped off and was rewelded back... Then they had flat bars on which dented the tank..
        79F
        "Excelsior"
        Honda gl1100 handlebar
        Hid headlight 6000k
        Stock jets
        Shinko 712 F & R
        TC fuse block
        Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
          The previous owner did that....
          I reversed it all
          Stock seat pan is rusted through... The rear end was chopped off and was rewelded back... Then they had flat bars on which dented the tank..
          Hi sparkfly,
          like in another activity, naked is the best way to ride.
          If you are unhappy with your double bucket seat and want to fix up your rusted out factory seat pan
          get it sandblasted then put a 1/8" thickness of fiberglass on it's top surface to restore it's strength.
          Never mind how your bars look, the only thing that matters is how well they suit your preferred riding position.
          But me, I'd do something about the tank badge mounts.
          Put replacement badges on or bondo them in smooth and perhaps a decal.
          The way they are now looks kinda unfinished.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The battery tray itself is plastic. The brackets are steel and are prone to rust due to off-gassing of battery acid as possibly boil-over from excessive charging.
            I would remove the fuse panel (good to upgrade also) and clean the contacts for both the four-wire clip and the two-wire clip to the alternator. I am not blaming the overchanging on that, but it is a real good thing to improve contacts there.
            The thing about rust is that it leads to more corrosion. Hopefully the fork pipes are pristine.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

One more thing... There are some errors in the Clymers manual like torque on the swing arm adjustment and I believe there is a mistake on the example for adjusting the shims.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Shims on the swing arms? What are you talking about?
                Really the only rust was where the rear fender was welded back on... The chrome by the headlight has surface rust... It doesn't bother me.

It's a daily driver that stays outside under a bike cover. Not a show bike.

I have the oem manual that is in the website everyone seems to know on here. I tightened the whole front end to spec.

The badges don't bother me.... Yet.... Because it needs paint, and the tank insides redone.

Just wait till you see my next couple videos... Whole reason I took the touring gear off is so I'm lighter for this upcoming trip... Excelsior is going to see forest roads. I'm gonna gopro it all, my practice sessions are going to be on a sand road my friend owns.
                Last edited by sparkfly88; 12-29-2013, 11:18 AM.
                79F
                "Excelsior"
                Honda gl1100 handlebar
                Hid headlight 6000k
                Stock jets
                Shinko 712 F & R
                TC fuse block
                Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Wow that looks really nice...why do you need a fairing living in Fla? Bike looks so much better naked...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Shims on the swing arms? What are you talking about?
                    Really the only rust was where the rear fender was welded back on... The chrome by the headlight has surface rust... It doesn't bother me.

It's a daily driver that stays outside under a bike cover. Not a show bike.

I have the oem manual that is in the website everyone seems to know on here. I tightened the whole front end to spec.

The badges don't bother me.... Yet.... Because it needs paint, and the tank insides redone.

Just wait till you see my next couple videos... Whole reason I took the touring gear off is so I'm lighter for this upcoming trip... Excelsior is going to see forest roads. I'm gonna gopro it all, my practice sessions are going to be on a sand road my friend owns.
                    he is talking abt 2 separate issues...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Did my photo show my bike had issues somewhere?

Also... Riding like this, makes me feel like I have no front end... Like I'm floating... It's kinda strange. I'm used to my huge fairing being there like as a "This is the front end of my bike" now.... There is just nothing. Lol
                      79F
                      "Excelsior"
                      Honda gl1100 handlebar
                      Hid headlight 6000k
                      Stock jets
                      Shinko 712 F & R
                      TC fuse block
                      Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Nakid bikes are way more "flickable" in the twisties. No fun on long interstate rides... The only solution to the problem is that you NEED at least two xs11s: One nakid and one fared.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

LOL, at last, some entertainment.
                          When you get back, you can share with us the ways to get an 11 back on it's tires.
                          Videos of that exercise would be nice. Especially the sand road.
                          If you can get some knobby's, I would recommend them, fore and aft.

CZ

Comment

Sparks,
                            If you're going to be doing some highway driving I do suggest adding a windshield. It will prevent a lot of fatigue.
                            1980G Standard, Restored
                            Kerker 4 - 1
                            850 Rear End Mod
                            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                            Automatic CCT
                            1980GH Special, Restored
                            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I plan to put the handlebar mounted one back on for the highway ride there
                              79F
                              "Excelsior"
                              Honda gl1100 handlebar
                              Hid headlight 6000k
                              Stock jets
                              Shinko 712 F & R
                              TC fuse block
                              Raptor 660 Acct