No announcement yet.

Swingarm center -swingarm bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two or three threads through on the left side.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I would move it over some so the threads on both sides are more even. The spec. in your first post says it can be off center no more than 1.6 MM, that should allow some movement to one side.

Edit: You can also cheat by exceeding the 47 inch lbs a bit to even the threads, I always thought that spec was a bit on the loose side.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 12-15-2013, 08:59 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        Edit: You can also cheat by exceeding the 47 inch lbs a bit to even the threads, I always thought that spec was a bit on the loose side.
        Exceeding the torque on the bearing pins would give you less threads to work with. There was someone on here a few years ago that used the ft lb torque on the bearings and tweaked the swing arm itself. Hope you didn't do that Marty
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Exceeding the torque on the bearing pins would give you less threads to work with. There was someone on here a few years ago that used the ft lb torque on the bearings and tweaked the swing arm itself. Hope you didn't do that Marty
          Fotunately no, I did not do that. I probably would have, without the timely reminder. I will mark my book accordingly.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

left side

right side

I'll play with it again, but it drives just fine. When I was going the job, the swingarm checked centered with about 7mm or so on each side.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Don't forget some blue locktite just for peace of mind. I would leave it like that if you're sure it's centered and torqued correctly, it should be fine.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 12-18-2013, 04:36 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I just revisited this while doing service. I did it wrong when I posted this. The photo from the service manual in post one is deceptive. On my bike the frame is cut out on the left side to use a caliper as shown. My caliper does not reach in far enough. The right side is not cut out at all, so it's impossible to use the the caliper at all. As BikerPhil suggested, you have to use a feeler gauge. Most of you probably know this, but I've been driving my bike improperly adjusted since post #1. Now, it's exactly correct.

I am my own PO.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                X