Cover Bolts - Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    I did the last one, and it was a bit of a PITA. For economy of scale, I'd need at least fifteen and preferably twenty buyers in order to get the best prices in bulk without having a bunch of leftovers. It's a considerable outlay of money, so pre-payment would be required. And last time I offered the carb kits separate, I won't do that again; too much work...

I did offer the 8mm bolts for the middle drive (including the very-hard-to-find 8mm x 160mm long one), something I haven't seen offered anywhere else. Kits prices worked out to $36 (engine, middle drive, early carbs) and $38 (engine, middle drive, late carbs) including shipping in the US. I can't say that those prices would still be good until checking on current prices. I did make a few bucks 'profit' on each kit, but given the time I put in making up each kit, packaging, and mailing, I 'worked' for third-world wages... LOL...
    Does anyone else out there have any interest in another "group buy", in order to make it worth Steve's while?
    Marco

Current bikes:
    1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
    1979 Honda CBX
    2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
    WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by CKlamer View Post
      Well what I was saying in an earlier post.
      My day job has been selling fasteners to the Government and their subcontractors to build their missiles, tanks and space stations for the last 25 years.
      Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
      Does anyone else out there have any interest in another "group buy", in order to make it worth Steve's while?
      Well, I say for those interested maybe we should give CKlamer a chance to get some prices since it is already his job and he can probably get better bulk prices already...
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Bolt Depot Report

I bought the SS bolts for the covers/cases from BoltDepot.com for $16 + $11 shipping.

They came in 2 days and seem quite nice.

I don't undertand the advice about antiseizing compound being necessary due to disimilar metals. SS is more chemically inert than steel, so I don't get it. Maybe folks are worried it's easier to break SS if it does get stuck?...or maybe folks are thinking that the plated bolts are 'insulated'?

Just curious about others' thinking. I expected there was something to it, so I did buy some anti-seizing compound. I do worry about bolts beng more likely to come loose with it.
        -Mike
        _________
        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
          I bought the SS bolts for the covers/cases from BoltDepot.com for $16 + $11 shipping.

They came in 2 days and seem quite nice.

I don't undertand the advice about antiseizing compound being necessary due to disimilar metals. SS is more chemically inert than steel, so I don't get it. Maybe folks are worried it's easier to break SS if it does get stuck?...or maybe folks are thinking that the plated bolts are 'insulated'?

Just curious about others' thinking. I expected there was something to it, so I did buy some anti-seizing compound. I do worry about bolts beng more likely to come loose with it.
          My thought, SS has a much higher tendancy to gall when being tightened. And since aluminum is so much softer you would do a good amount of destruction to the threads in there. Just put some antiseize on to save some hassle in the end.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

+1 You don't need any stuck-bolt hasstles.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Stainless galls super easy; I've seen SS bolts threaded together by hand, then break when trying to get them apart. Always use anti-seize on stainless, no matter what you're threading it into. If you need to use locktite, put it under the head of the bolt, not on the threads.

You also need to reduce the torque applied when using stainless; it's not as strong as steel, torque specs here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...tainless+bolts
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hmmmm....galling never occurred to me.

It's good to have peers to keep me out of trouble.
                -Mike
                _________
                '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Also keep in mind that anti-seize is a lubricant. It will increase the torque. If you're using a torque wrench, you should use the lube spec.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Working...
                  X