No announcement yet.

Cured the low end stumble finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So.... How much are all of these mikuni jets gonna cost me......
    79F
    "Excelsior"
    Honda gl1100 handlebar
    Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
    OE headers,Jardine slipons
    Hid headlight 6000k
    Stock jets
    Shinko 712 F & R
    Oe hardbags and luggage rack
    TC fuse block
    K&n filter with oe airbox
    Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Mikunis $

Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
      Check this place out, Kyle ...

I think some of the members get their Mikunis here ...

http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_str...1100F_1979.htm
      Marco

Current bikes:
      1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
      1979 Honda CBX
      2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
      WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

I went to a local stealership once and needed new pilot jets. Guy went in the back and got the try of knock off jets which were $5.50 each. I told the guy I wanted Mikuni jet and he sort of protested and complained that he would have to order them and it would take awhile. He finally got out his parts catalog and we looked them up. $2.36 each, he chuckled a little and just shut up.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The OE jets are a really good start point for jetting but with old/worn carbs and old/worn engines they can only be a start point.

I use jets from anywhere that sells them the cheapest and drill my own, once you're altering jetting the jet sizes are only a number indicating whether you're going up or down in size.

If you have OE jets and need to go up or down you may want to stick to OE manufacture bigger or smaller, but in the end its all down to doing correct plug chops in ALL rev ranges/ throttle openings.

The 110 size is the actual hole diameter, = 1.10mm
          Tom
          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

You must use genuine Mikuni jets, IMHO. I struggled with many revving issues for a month, replaced the junky K&L jets that came with the rebuild kits with genuine Mik's, and have had no problems since.
            79 F
            Previously owned: (among others)
            1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
            1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
            1973 Suzuki TM 125
            1979 XS1100 F
            2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
            1991 BMW K75

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
              The OE jets are a really good start point for jetting but with old/worn carbs and old/worn engines they can only be a start point.

I use jets from anywhere that sells them the cheapest and drill my own, once you're altering jetting the jet sizes are only a number indicating whether you're going up or down in size.

If you have OE jets and need to go up or down you may want to stick to OE manufacture bigger or smaller, but in the end its all down to doing correct plug chops in ALL rev ranges/ throttle openings.

As much as I hate to say there is correct info on the UK site... I will have to confirm what TomB has said. There is no better way than a plug read to see what your engine is seeing.
              2-79 XS1100 SF
              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post

That sizing contrary to what you stated is actually s predetermined flow RATE.Least that is how Mikunis are done.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

And of course the flow rate is also related to the air bleed holes on the sides.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    That sizing contrary to what you stated is actually s predetermined flow RATE.Least that is how Mikunis are done.
                    I've read the same thing elsewhere, and know that the old Amal carb jet sizes are definitely flow rate numbered as the numbers don't relate to a measured size, however when measuring my genuine Mikuni jets with a view to drilling them I found they were exactly numbered to the equivalent size.

Though not Mikuni specific THIS website has a chart confirming jet vs drill sizes are direct equivalents.

When doing a lot of tuning work I scrounge old smaller/worn jets that folk would normally throw away, and redrill them, once you have the right size you can buy that set new. I know old racers that drill the jets out big and solder in new brass to drill fresh.

I fully acknowledge that different manufacture jets may give a different flow rate because of different lead in tapers or other differences even with the same size holes. I was merely trying to point out that once you've moved from standard jetting when trying to tune worn/old carbs it doesn't really matter which manufacturers jets you use, its all down to a correct full range of throttle openings plug chops.

All too often I read that someone has taken their bike out for a good run, ridden home, stopped the bike on their driveway and taken the plugs out to read them, all they have done is read the plugs from the last thing that engine did, which usually is tickover before switching off, this is not an indication of the complete throttle range.

On the pilot jets? yes the originals with different side hole configerations will affect tune and I would always try to use OE, but the same applies as above, you can move away from OE if done correctly.
                    Tom
                    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Well, As usual though its only ONE cylinder giving me issues...

So maybe my carbs STILL arnt clean enough, if it was the jets giving me issues, all of them would be acting up not just one..at least thats what I'd think.

Each time this surfaces, I hook the color tune on, find the problem cylinder, adjust, and I'm good for a couple days it seems
                      79F
                      "Excelsior"
                      Honda gl1100 handlebar
                      Hid headlight 6000k
                      Stock jets
                      Shinko 712 F & R
                      TC fuse block
                      Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Jets

I know an old racer that still has jets sitting in his tool box. I keep them there for sentimental reasons and the memories.
                        We would shut off the engine after a WOT run. No idling, no nothing. Full power, high revs and switch it off. Use a 10 times eye glass and look down the core.
                        Would also use a set of new plugs for this.
                        After a while you get used to the different sounds coming from the engine. If it is a two stroke and starts to scream you know it is running lean and may stop very quickly. A four stroke will start running hotter. Too rich and neither will run clean and crisp, and lack power. The sponsored riders usually have better tuners than the rest. Steve Baker on a 250 would gain one bike length on me, down the back straight at Westwood. That is all it took to get in front. He also weighed less than me.
                        Unkle Crusty

Comment

For the last couple weeks....it has been riding WONDERFULLY....

I havent done anything to it yet

I must have another issue somewhere beside the carbs if its intermittent like this...

In the back of my mind I want to replace the coils...........I just havent wanted to swallow that price of the coils yet
                          79F
                          "Excelsior"
                          Honda gl1100 handlebar
                          Hid headlight 6000k
                          Stock jets
                          Shinko 712 F & R
                          TC fuse block
                          Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

...........I just havent wanted to swallow that price of the coils yet
                            Or you can save some money and grab-up some Honda VF coils, or something else.
                            1979 XS1100F
                            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I looked up the honda coils on ebay....I wouldnt really be saving THAT much money...plus, they are used, and who knows how long they'll last
                              79F
                              "Excelsior"
                              Honda gl1100 handlebar
                              Hid headlight 6000k
                              Stock jets
                              Shinko 712 F & R
                              TC fuse block
                              Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

For the last couple weeks....it has been riding WONDERFULLY....

I havent done anything to it yet

I must have another issue somewhere beside the carbs if its intermittent like this...

In the back of my mind I want to replace the coils...........I just havent wanted to swallow that price of the coils yet
                                Your carbs are having electrical issues.
                                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                                X