Cured the low end stumble finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cured the low end stumble finally!

For the longest time I've been messing with the fuel system trying to get rid of this low end load stumble..

Taking off from a stop it'll stumble a bit, and while cruising.

Synced and colortuned to a little richer from Blue as normal... And running NGK bp6es. The NGKs have like 4k miles on them.

Well last night I decided I'm gonna try something. I colortuned it to the cobalt blue, and changed the spark plugs to autolite platinum ap63.

Wow! What a difference. Smooth idle, smooth cruising, and no stumble at any rpm.

Woo!
    79F
    "Excelsior"
    Honda gl1100 handlebar
    Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
    OE headers,Jardine slipons
    Hid headlight 6000k
    Stock jets
    Shinko 712 F & R
    Oe hardbags and luggage rack
    TC fuse block
    K&n filter with oe airbox
    Raptor 660 Acct

Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
    For the longest time I've been messing with the fuel system trying to get rid of this low end load stumble..

Taking off from a stop it'll stumble a bit, and while cruising.

Synced and colortuned to a little richer from Blue as normal... And running NGK bp6es. The NGKs have like 4k miles on them.

Well last night I decided I'm gonna try something. I colortuned it to the cobalt blue, and changed the spark plugs to autolite platinum ap63.

Wow! What a difference. Smooth idle, smooth cruising, and no stumble at any rpm.

Woo!
    Well, since you performed the cardnial sin of changingtwo things at once, guess we'll never know which resolved the issue. But, good to hear it's resolved either way.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Brant, why don't you convince him he ought to re-install the NGK's, and see if that returns the stumble?

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
        Hey Brant, why don't you convince him he ought to re-install the NGK's, and see if that returns the stumble?

CZ
        Exactly, that is what I would do. It would be nice to know if the plugs or the tune was the culprit.
        Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Well, the stumble is back....rarely....but noticeable

poop
          79F
          "Excelsior"
          Honda gl1100 handlebar
          Hid headlight 6000k
          Stock jets
          Shinko 712 F & R
          TC fuse block
          Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Well the heat range of the BP6ES and the AP63 are exactly the same (stock) so the only thing the platinum plug could be contributing is an improved spark kernel (and that is debatable). Give a hotter plug a try (BP5ES) as my machine sometimes likes a hotter plug.

I think the cause of any stumbling lies elsewhere.....valve adjustment, ignition timing, vacuum advance mechanism, less than squeaky clean pilot circuit passages, etc. Remember, setting the idle mixture to cobalt on a color tune only affects the motor at idle. As soon as you crack the throttle you are basically off of the idle circuit and onto the pilot circuit (though the idle circuit feeds from the pilot circuit).
            Last edited by TADracer; 12-06-2013, 08:37 AM. Reason: aded wording
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Well, ive already redone the advance system, valves are adjusted..ignition is timed, carbs are spotless many times over...

My next plan of attack is the pinholes in the diaphragms and new coils.
              Last edited by sparkfly88; 12-06-2013, 09:04 AM.
              79F
              "Excelsior"
              Honda gl1100 handlebar
              Hid headlight 6000k
              Stock jets
              Shinko 712 F & R
              TC fuse block
              Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Holy Moley! You've been knowingly riding around with pinholes in your carb diaphragms, and tried to diagnose other causes of stumble? Always one issue at a time as someone said above (I think Don).
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                  Holy Moley! You've been knowingly riding around with pinholes in your carb diaphragms, and tried to diagnose other causes of stumble? Always one issue at a time as someone said above (I think Don).
                  I've been broke for the longest time if you go back through my threads....

This whole bike build has been on ECONOMY
                  79F
                  "Excelsior"
                  Honda gl1100 handlebar
                  Hid headlight 6000k
                  Stock jets
                  Shinko 712 F & R
                  TC fuse block
                  Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

As a brethren if not a founding father of the CheapAzz tribe of XS owners, I have used RTV to seal over pinholes in the diaphragms before. Its not a long term fix, but it will buy you several months or more of service from the existing diaphragms.

And yes, that could easily be the cause of your stumbles. When you change throttle position is the biggest change in vacuum, and that is when the slides are trying to open and will flutter from the leaks in the diaphragms.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post

And the stumble has been on the backburner while I took care of all of the other issues, it runs, and gets me where im going ( when it decides to ) I'm just now beginning to focus on the little stuff
                      79F
                      "Excelsior"
                      Honda gl1100 handlebar
                      Hid headlight 6000k
                      Stock jets
                      Shinko 712 F & R
                      TC fuse block
                      Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        As a brethren of not a founding father of the CheapAzz tribe of XS owners, I have used RTV to seal over pinholes in the diaphragms before. Its not a long term fix, but it will buy you several months or more of service from the existing diaphragms.

And yes, that could easily be the cause of your stumbles. When you change throttle position is the biggest change in vacuum, and that is when the slides are trying to open and will flutter from the leaks in the diaphragms.
                        I tried using that rubber sealant in a can...it didnt work too well.
                        I get the stumble at cruising or when just barely getting on the throttle...like just a HAIR above a closed throttle
                        79F
                        "Excelsior"
                        Honda gl1100 handlebar
                        Hid headlight 6000k
                        Stock jets
                        Shinko 712 F & R
                        TC fuse block
                        Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

As this is the first I've heard of the pinholes, the first fix on the otther forums was Plati-Dip, but did not hold-up over time. We now use Gorilla Glue in several layers, as it allows flex unlike the Plasti-Dip. One other alternative you could try is the gas sealer found at all hardware stores, auto parts stores, etc.
                          Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 12-06-2013, 11:23 AM.
                          1979 XS1100F
                          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Rubber Sealant? As-in Flex-All or Rustoleum variety? Yeah, they probs would not hold upto gas well. Some thought rubber cement would work; it did not.
                            1979 XS1100F

Comment

I used the black RTV used for gaskets on engines. It held up for close to a year IIRC. I eventually spent the money a new slide with diaphragm.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X