Re: Winter Storage Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Winter Storage Tips

So, after reading the article, I got to thinking: where is the harm in parking the bike, but running it a couple times a week, instead of adding Sta-bil, etc.? We all know we get that one day in the middle of Winter where temps hit a high, and the snow melts, and we want to go for a ride.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Mate, the biggest harm I can see is that unless you run the bike until everything reaches a proper operating temperature is that the exhaust system will fill up with condensate when you shut it down and rust out VERY quickly.
    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Fuel

Hi !

What fuel are you using, ethanol ? Add the right amount of Stabil marine formula for ethanol fuel. I used to use Seafoam but the cost is higher in the long run. Still turn the petcocks on to keep the bowls full once a month.

Good fuel without ethanol, just turn the petcocks to prime once a month should be fine just to keep the bowls full.
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by Eveready1100 View Post
        Mate, the biggest harm I can see is that unless you run the bike until everything reaches a proper operating temperature is that the exhaust system will fill up with condensate when you shut it down and rust out VERY quickly.
        +1. When I was working on my carbs in the winter, and ran the bike to try to figure out what it was doing, I started getting water out the back of the exhaust after a few short runs on the engine.

If your going to run it, make it a good 10 miles or better run. Honestly, I add Seafoam AND I run the bike whenever I can all winter long. For me, 45 deg is the mark. And then it is a short run of my min 10 miles. I'm getting to old to ride in colder weather I guess.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Well we all know Mac is probably still riding because the snow hasn't fallen yet here in Michigan .

I'm curious about the same thing. I'm going to be working on the '79 all winter and I've read some stuff about people getting rusty cylinders from having one of their valves open to the elements to an extended period of time. Is there a crank shaft position like TDC that will have all of my valves closed?
          78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
          79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Yup, sure am Gabe! I have been riding all week, even this morning in this nasty rain. I don't really know why I asked that question, as I'll be pulling the engine, and a few other bits over the Winter for maintenance. Everything will come inside for the Winter.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I've ran mine Tue and Wed...sunny 42 deg
              Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Guys-- up here in N. MI we got an inch or so last night. It's mighty cold-- 32* or so. My beast is in the middle of a carb clean on the enrichening circuit passage in the fuel bowl, and fork seal install. Will add stabil to fuel, and let carb bowls remain empty 'til spring, so as not to maybe gum them up over the winter.
                79 F
                Previously owned: (among others)
                1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                1973 Suzuki TM 125
                1979 XS1100 F
                2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                1991 BMW K75

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
                  Guys-- up here in N. MI we got an inch or so last night. It's mighty cold-- 32* or so. My beast is in the middle of a carb clean on the enrichening circuit passage in the fuel bowl, and fork seal install. Will add stabil to fuel, and let carb bowls remain empty 'til spring, so as not to maybe gum them up over the winter.
                  In N. Mi. you most likely are not running ethanol, right ?
                  If you do have to deal with ethanol the marine stabil is cheaper in the long run because you use less per gal.
                  Stabil now has an ethanol treatment in the line up.
                  So stabil now has a regular, an ethanol and marine ethanol.
                  I would not use regular stabil with ethanol fuel.
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Done-

Just curious, why would Mark living in N. Michigan matter as far as ethanol? I've been all over the State, and know there are only a few stations that provide ethanol-free gas.

N. Michigan gets their fair of snow, but nowhere near as-much as the U.P., and they all have ethanol gas in their stations, from as far West as Iron River, and as far East as Mackinac Island.
                    1979 XS1100F

Comment

As long as you use the new blue Stabil, fuel ougha' stay fine. A better option you can find at most dealerships now is StarTron enzyme fuel treatment. Apparently this is the most compatible treatment for the increased alcohol levels of the fuel.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

ethanol

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                        Done-

Just curious, why would Mark living in N. Michigan matter as far as ethanol? I've been all over the State, and know there are only a few stations that provide ethanol-free gas.

N. Michigan gets their fair of snow, but nowhere near as-much as the U.P., and they all have ethanol gas in their stations, from as far West as Iron River, and as far East as Mackinac Island.
                        Mac,

The farther you are from the big city the less likely to have ethanol in your fuel.
                        Just heard the the EPA may release it's hold on the states to use ethanol gas.
                        It's hurts more than it helps the environment (air we breath), it adds to the cost of fuel production and in pre 93 engines it can be damaging.
                        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                        80 XS650 G Special II
                        80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Ethanol

I am fortunate in that I can obtain non-ethanol gas fairly easily. I have just recently begin using it and have had positive results. I will no longer leave gas with ethanol in any carbureted vehicle that I own. And I do mean everything carbureted - lawn mowers, chain saws, four wheelers, two wheelers, generators, etc. I've had too many negative and costly experiences by doing so.

I strongly believe that this will cure all of my fuel system related problems.

Mike
                          1981 XS1100H Venturer
                          K&N Air Filter
                          ACCT
                          Custom Paint by Deitz
                          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                          Stebel Nautilus Horn
                          EBC Front Rotors
                          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

indeed ethanol fuel sucks and is the cause of alot of evils...I too have non ethanol locally...the only thing is i dont winterize my bikes because i love to ride in the winter months...I did this in NJ and even moreso since moving to NC...hardly the advice the O.P is looking for but I just had to throw that out there...I mean i rode thru some pretty cold winters in NJ and as long as the roads were clear and dry i would ride.
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Unfortunately, all the gas available in and around the nearby counties contains 10% ethanol, except 2 stations. One is about 30 miles away, and one about 45 miles away. I saw one of them on my way to Traverse City yesterday--cost was $4.11/gallon. I'll put in the ethanol type Stabil soon. I've heard another product called 'start-up' is also a good treatment for winterizing against ethanolled fuel.
                              79 F
                              Previously owned: (among others)
                              1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                              1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                              1973 Suzuki TM 125
                              1979 XS1100 F
                              2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                              1991 BMW K75

Comment

Working...
                              X