Rebuilding again '81H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garagamus View Post
    I may just take you up on the shock offer. Send me a PM of what you want for them. I want to make the seat higher anyways because I'm a tad over 6' and I know the cafe seat won't be anywhere near thick enough, (or retain its looks) to lift me up the extra inch or two I need so I can shift with my foot, rather than move my whole leg...the joys of getting older
    Hi Garagamus, you may want to be careful of lifting the rear end too high with longer shocks, it screws with the shaft alignment. I lifted my project bike a little on the rear shock AND on the seat height, as you say you can achieve the same look. The swing arm and shaft alignment looks Ok.

I'm 6' 3", this fits me real well, and I'm going to add another inch of foam next.

Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

YAMAHA decals

I would have expected Fred to know where to get these. He probably does.

650 Central has these in various colors. Click graphics on the left side of the page. They mimic Triumph.

Omar's has several styles including Velocette style.

I have seen a Norton graphic as well, but I can't find it at the moment.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Garagamus View Post
        The British style Yama logos are actually freehand painted. I had one guy while getting a coffee, actually turn around in traffic and come back to the parking lot thinking it was a vintage norton he had stumbled upon. I'm going to try and put together an actual decal before spring. I recently left oil field work to try my hand at a bodyshop/collision centre, tons of toys to mess around with and a legit paint booth. Learning the body trade is a slow go at 43, but my title there is a 3M paint protection and graphics installer. I figure if I've got access to a state of the art plotter and a boatload of vinyl, I should be able to come up with some pretty cool decals. Still on the fence regarding the shocks. I'll probably end up taking them off your hands, (once I've paid for all the air tools for the new job).
        Hi Garagamus,
        like those previous posts say, I can get Triumph-styled or Velocette styled decals from the USA but I was hoping for a Canadian source.
        Good luck with the new career, note that it's easy to go broke buying air tools
        and don't go near a paint booth without wearing all the protective gear.
        The shocks can sit on the shelf, no problem.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey Fred, as soon as I've put together some proper patterns, I'll post what I'm capable of supplying. The only guy from ebay that seems to have the Norton/yam logo is out of Greece and the shipping just isn't worth it.
          81 H "Traumaha"
          06 KLR 650
          06 Katana 600 (Sold)
          05 Star 1100 (Sold)
          78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
          79 RD400 (Stolen)
          78 KE175
          Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Actually getting things done and sorta progressing. Got the old light off, tweaked the new stays for the round light, installed the gaiters, built the shelf for the battery, and have fabricated the seat pan. Still lots of sanding to do, but if I get the free time, I could probably bring the big parts down to the shop and use the paintbooth next week. It would be awesome to have her completed by the end of April.

Went out two weeks ago on the sport bike for a rip, now its snowing again...humbug.
            81 H "Traumaha"
            06 KLR 650
            06 Katana 600 (Sold)
            05 Star 1100 (Sold)
            79 RD400 (Stolen)
            78 KE175

Comment

Finally bit the bullet and bought the paint today. Had a buddy at a local body shop supply store mix me up a batch of Ford Kodiak Brown. Exactly the color I've been looking for, so dark it looks black in the shade, but in the sunlight, has enough gold and orange metallic in it to look like its glowing.
              81 H "Traumaha"
              06 KLR 650
              06 Katana 600 (Sold)
              05 Star 1100 (Sold)
              79 RD400 (Stolen)
              78 KE175

Comment

Gmus-- your bike is looking really cool. I liked it the way (s) it looked before a lot, too. It will definitely look more exotic than before, I look forward to the additions to the build thread, and for sure , pics of the finished (?) product!
                79 F
                Previously owned: (among others)
                1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
                1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
                1973 Suzuki TM 125
                1979 XS1100 F
                2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
                1991 BMW K75

Comment

Working...
                X