Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 XS1100F Fixer Upper Project Begins.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already have the battery box and electrical mount covered.
    Would you happen to have that rubber mounting piece for the turn signal relay?
    Mine was completely rotted and fell apart trying to get everything off.
    You can only get that piece online if you buy the relay.
    79 YAMAHA XS1100F
    2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
    1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Started taking the petcocks apart and holy crap are they gunked up. I don't see how fuel was even flowing through them.

I had to take tweezers and pull the stuff out it was so thick.

Geez! What a pain.
      79 YAMAHA XS1100F
      2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
      1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
        I was hanging on till the veey end till you said MR would work great, lol. Other posts by Gabe (Down$hift) spoke of this and found that it was not the greatest idea.
        Still not sure why everyone was convinced Phos Acid is a bad idea. It worked perfectly from me and it doesn't etch steel. I guess people are ingrained in their ways ! If I was trying to etch something that had any aluminum in it I'd avoid it but oh well.
        78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
        79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Sorry, the turn signal rubber mount is broken where it attaches to the stay. Pretty darn flimsy for a 30+ yr old piece of rubber in my opinion...lol
          81 H "Traumaha"
          06 KLR 650
          06 Katana 600 (Sold)
          05 Star 1100 (Sold)
          78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
          79 RD400 (Stolen)
          78 KE175
          Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
            Still not sure why everyone was convinced Phos Acid is a bad idea. It worked perfectly from me and it doesn't etch steel. I guess people are ingrained in their ways ! If I was trying to etch something that had any aluminum in it I'd avoid it but oh well.
            Define everyone.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Just found out for what it will cost me to rebuild and try and repair the fuel petcocks I can purchase brand spanking new ones for just a few dollars more.

YAY!

Here is a picture of what came off of the bike.

79 YAMAHA XS1100F
              2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
              1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

That makes no senses. Rebuild kits for those petcocks are inexpensive. A few years ago, I bought a new vacuum shutoff because I thought that was the way to go. It failed after about a year. I rebuilt it and it has been functioning since. You just have to take the time to do it right.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                  That makes no senses. Rebuild kits for those petcocks are inexpensive. A few years ago, I bought a new vacuum shutoff because I thought that was the way to go. It failed after about a year. I rebuilt it and it has been functioning since. You just have to take the time to do it right.
                  Well I can get the rebuild kits for around $30 per side but I also have to replace the net filter on both and those are over $30 each. So the total is over $60.00 and you can buy the new one for around $69.

I did receive one of the new petcocks and they havethem listed fo the XS1100F but they are a little different and I also found out they are also used in the XS650, XS750 and XS850.

So how can a petcock made for these smaller bikes flow enough gas to run the big XS1100?

The petcocks overall are about the same size but different enough that you cannot switch parts like backs. It also looks like the Net Filter on top is different in size (smaller) versus what came off of the bike.

But the biggest thing I noticed is the brass nipple where the fuel flows to the carbs. It looks like the hole is a good bit smaller than what came off of the bike. So not sure these will work without some tinkering.
                  79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                  2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                  1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

The XS650 late models are single petcock. They also run BS34 Mikunis and the cylinders are bigger than the XS1100. I had forgotten you were replacing the nets. That may be where differences lie, due to the varying tank shapes.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      The XS650 late models are single petcock. They also run BS34 Mikunis and the cylinders are bigger than the XS1100. I had forgotten you were replacing the nets. That may be where differences lie, due to the varying tank shapes.
                      The net filter is smaller as is the intake area from the tank where the net filter sits.
                      Also the rubber seal that seals off the tank and the petcock so it doesn't leak doesn't have the extra two pieces across the middle it is only the oval part.

I just hope this will work I would hate to get down the road and find out later I wasted my time and money.

Has anyone tried them?

Thanks
                      79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                      2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                      1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Originally posted by CKlamer View Post

Has anyone tried them?

Thanks
                        CKlamer,

You lost me. What exactly did you buy, and from where? Your left fuel cock should be a 3G1-24500-03-00 and I see where it's available for less than $70. The right one is NLA. It should be a 2H7-24510-00-00. I looked up several bikes and the right fuel cock assy is obsolete on every one I looked at.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

I bought two of the 3G1-24500-03-00 and other than the vaccuum line being on the opposite side I should be able to use them.

But I think someone had said that they tried one and it hits the air box. But the petcocks are different than what I removed from the bike even though they have the same number listd above.
                          79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                          2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                          1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Originally posted by CKlamer View Post
                            I bought two of the 3G1-24500-03-00 and other than the vaccuum line being on the opposite side I should be able to use them.

But I think someone had said that they tried one and it hits the air box. But the petcocks are different than what I removed from the bike even though they have the same number listd above.
                            Sometimes the OEM parts get changed over the years. Hopefully, this will work for you.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

I don't think it is so much as being changed as it is just adapting what they have available to the situation at hand.

I am guessing they just had something that was close and are trying to adapt it to the XS1100 since there seems to be a need.

I guess I will try them if they don't work I will have to try and rebuild the old petcocks.

I was actually hoping they were the same and I could just swap the backs off but they are totally different.

My main concern is the size difference in the outlet for the gas. It looks considerably smaller than the stock ones and they are different so I cannot swap them out.

I will post a picture when I can get one.
                              79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                              2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                              1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

fuel petcock

good morning, I sent you a PM about pair of fuel petcocks for the std model. Used with filters. Should still get a kit but fuel still flows. Check your PM. thanx andreas

Comment

Working...
                                X