Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 XS1100F Fixer Upper Project Begins.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the old petcock and the new petcock.

79 YAMAHA XS1100F
    2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
    1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

If you are worried about enough gas flow, I run both my XS11's with only one petcock running all 4 carbs and there is always plenty of fuel, even at WOT. Running two with smaller diameter shouldn't be a problem I would think.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        If you are worried about enough gas flow, I run both my XS11's with only one petcock running all 4 carbs and there is always plenty of fuel, even at WOT. Running two with smaller diameter shouldn't be a problem I would think.
        Thanks for the info.
        It looks like they will work.
        After looking closer it's the vaccuum line that is smaller so that shouldn't be a problem. I just hope the angle of the fuel line doesn't hit anything.
        Right now I have my engine builder taking the top end off and checking everything out making sure the engine is functional. Plus clean it up inside and then drain all of the old oil and look for any sediment.

Plus while he has the top end off he is going to put a brand new Helicoil insert in to the spark plug thread that is damaged.

So hope fully after that I can finish taking it apart and get everything cleaned up powder coated and painted.

CK
        79 YAMAHA XS1100F
        2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
        1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Okay my engine builder took the top end of the engine apart to fix that spark plug and just check the overall condition of the top end.

It was a damn good thing because someone had rigged the cam chain tensioner with a carriage bolt. So it was also a good thing we didn't try to crank it. The cams were completely out of synch and it would have completely blown the engine. The cams were almost in sych with each other they were so far off.

So now I have to find another cam chain tensioner adjuster and a new cam chain since the one in the bike is so loose we can understand why the cams are so far off.

We can't figure out if someone removed the cams and didn't know how to put them back or if they literally jumped to the present positions.

Oh well it can be saved.

Thank God!
          79 YAMAHA XS1100F
          2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
          1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Keep in mind that the stock tensioner tends to have the adjuster bolt and lock nut strip out. For this reason, a modification was created to use a carriage bolt with some nuts on it to make an adjuster that is locked into place. DBeardslee I think came up with this one.

It is ALWAYS a good idea to check valve timing and such before first trying to start a bike someone else has worked on. There are so many signs of less than astute people working on the one I have now. But, the timing was correct.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

The guy I bought this from says he drove it to the storage locker and we really don't believe this bike has run in some time generally because we don't believe it would run because the cams were both almost open at the same time. It was so far off it was scarey. Now the tensioner I was wondering about that because it did look like some one did have a plan of some sorts.

My engine guy said if we couldn't find one he would have to make it work.

But the bike has to have a new cam chain it is just too loose.
              79 YAMAHA XS1100F
              2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
              1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Go look in the tech tips, there is a list of all the bikes (and ATVs) that have auto chain tensioners that will fit with little or no modifications. A lot if the to.we you can find one under $10.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

A tensioner is not going to be an issue. A bajillion different ones will work. Look here: http://xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35501

Z1 Enterprises has a good chain available.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Thanks for the information.
                    Trying to figure out which of the tensioner part numbers listed is the V-Max almost direct bolt on. Can you supply the part number?

Yeah I have used Z1 on many of my other builds and I bought the chain yesterday with the new master link.

So I hope to have the engine back together in the next few weeks.

I do have the Vetter Vindicator fairing for sale so hopefully someone in the North Alabama, Georgia or maybe Tennessee might want to buy it.
                    79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                    2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                    1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

11H-12210-02-00 is the number listed in the tech tip.

Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Okay here is a picture of the cams and where they were sitting when they pulled the cam cover.

You can see how far they were off.

79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                        2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                        1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

I can honestly say I never compared the lobe spacing, what you want is to put the timing mark on the T and then check the dots on the cam to the arrows on the middle cam bearing caps.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

I myself am not too worried about it I have a professional race engine builder that does all of my engine work so it will be set correctly as soon as I get the new cam chain in.

He did the race engine build on my CB750K Cafe Racer.
                            He's been building engines for over 25 years for drag racing and AMA.
                            He specializes in the Hayabusa's but alo does Harley and many other bikes.

Thanks
                            CK
                            79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                            2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                            1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                              11H-12210-02-00 is the number listed in the tech tip.

Okay received this part is and you are saying this works.
                              It seems to be very different than the stock tensioner.

Has anyone use one of these with good results and is there anything I need to know before trying to install.

Looks like it would be too short compared to the stock part. Plus the stock part has that rubber tip and this one doesn't.

Thanks
                              79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                              2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                              1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Here are the installation instructions for the ACCT...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35501
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                                X