Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 XS1100F Fixer Upper Project Begins.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CKlamer View Post
    Thanks that will work great.
    How much did you put in the tank and what else did you add with it?
    I put about 3 lbs media in the tank. Nothing else in the tank with it. The vacuum cleaner removed what didn't fall out.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Here are a few more pictures of the disassembly.

79 YAMAHA XS1100F
      2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
      1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

You could use those petcock filter towers still. You should always use inline filters anyways since those towers don't filter anything but big chunks anyways.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

with petcock filter tower you have to make sure that they are for your standard, as the ones for a special are different

as to your gas tank, I would clean it out with any kind of degreaser, like Simple Green or Purple Power, and media of your choice(bolt, nuts, ball bearings, etc.), but because of how extensive rust is I would plan on coating(lining) the tank

mine looked just like yours, except it had 20+ year old gas in it, I lined with Red cote, Caswell is good too, POR 15 has some good reviews

looks like petcocks were leaking and PO added manual shut offs, with good cleaning and polishing you can remove them, but I would still keep inline filters
          Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

I think the tank pic was mine from the SG I sold this spring. That tank needed no liner when completed. That's the beauty of the MR type products.

If a liner is needed, I highly recommend the epoxy type liners like Caswell. Others have had poor performance from Kreem type products.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I have used the Caswell liner on a fiberglass tank on my Cafe racer.
              But I hope to not use a liner on this tank.
              It seems to be mostly surface rust in this tank.
              79 YAMAHA XS1100F
              2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
              1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Thought I would add a few more pictures.
                Started soaking the tank yesterda and looks like it should be ready to go tomorrow.
                The new carb boots came in on Friday along with my GSXR 1300 front end for my new Cafe Racer.

79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Okay one more.

79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                  2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                  1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

With the tank being that rusted, I believe I would save the metal rescue for other valuable pieces. Fill the tank with water and about two cups of phosphoric acid. In a matter of hours, that tank will be clean. Follow with a Caswell liner. Rusted that bad, you have to line it anyway and the phosphoric acid is far cheaper than Metal Rescue. You have no shortage of parts there to give the Metal Rescue treatment. My opinion here is based only on $$. Metal Rescue will clean that tank perfectly.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      With the tank being that rusted, I believe I would save the metal rescue for other valuable pieces. Fill the tank with water and about two cups of phosphoric acid. In a matter of hours, that tank will be clean. Follow with a Caswell liner. Rusted that bad, you have to line it anyway and the phosphoric acid is far cheaper than Metal Rescue. You have no shortage of parts there to give the Metal Rescue treatment. My opinion here is based only on $$. Metal Rescue will clean that tank perfectly.
                      I was hanging on till the veey end till you said MR would work great, lol. Other posts by Gabe (Down$hift) spoke of this and found that it was not the greatest idea.
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Well I finally poured the Metal Rescue out of the tank and it went in absolutely clear and came out completely black.
                        Did a great job of getting rid of the rust in the tank though and I would highly recommend.
                        Put some of their rust inhibitor in the tank since I will not actually be putting it back on for a whil and it will keep it from rusting while it sits and waits.

Had to replace the battery box and electrical mounting plate. They were so badly rusted I had to cut them apart. The screws and the plates were one piece of rust. The pieces had started breaking off also.

Seems like everything on the right side of the battery was in horrible rusty condition. Looked like something had been dripping down behind that side cover for some time.

Also have a guy in Florida that did the ceramic coating on my exhaust for my Cafe Racer and he said he could media blast my exhaust and clean it up and ceramic coat the entire thing for way cheaper than buying a new exhaust.
                        79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                        2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                        1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Okay I have to say I am very happy with the Metal Rescue. I did call Metal Rescue about the fact that after I had it in the tank for two days I still had a few spots of rust left in the tank. So they said just strain the sediment out and out it back in the tank for another 24-36 hours.

So I took some chees cloth and strapped it to the top og my bucket and got rid of most of the debree. Oh and I also found out that during the second day the temperature had dropped outside and inside and that might have made the Metal Rescue stop working as well.

So I put it back in the tank and topped it off with an extra gallon I had bought that was new and clean. So after another 36 hours the gas tank is completely clean. I have to say I am very impressed with this stuff.

So here is the before and after pictures.

Also removed the exhaust.

I also had to cut the battery box and electrical connector mounting piece off of the bike because the rust was so severe on that side of the bike none of the screws would release. So took the Dremel and a drill and cut it off.
                          Last edited by CKlamer; 11-16-2013, 05:29 PM.
                          79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                          2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                          1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

By the way are the front shocks normally pretty mushy feeling and soft?
                            Pretty sure I will need to at least cgange the fork oil. Mainly because if it is anything like the rest of the bike it hasn't had a lot of TLC and the fork oil is probably what was in there in 1979. If it has been changed at all it might be once.
                            I really hate it when people don't take care of motorcycles and are just oblivious to taking care of them.
                            79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                            2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                            1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

I am probably going to keep the exhaust it doesn't seem to be rusted through anywhere so I have someone that will media blast it and then ceramic coat it. So after I clean up and paint the engine the black ceramic coated exhaust should blend right in.
                              79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                              2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                              1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

I have the battery box and various other "between the side covers" items in decent to good shape (81 Standard). Didn't figure anybody would have use for them, and I just bought an Odyssey AGM battery to install in the bump seat. If you can use any of it, send me a PM, pretty much shipping costs will get them.
                                81 H "Traumaha"
                                06 KLR 650
                                06 Katana 600 (Sold)
                                05 Star 1100 (Sold)
                                78 GS1000 Cafe (Traded for a Chrysler 68 Newport)
                                79 RD400 (Stolen)
                                78 KE175
                                Schwinn Tricycle red (with a loud bell)

Comment

Working...
                                X