Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1979 XS1100F Fixer Upper Project Begins.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The taper tip mufflers are REALLY quiet. Too quiet for me.

I had a set for a while.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by D0wn5h1ft View Post
      All of those products you mentioned all have Phosphoric Acid as the active ingredient if you read the product label. Save yourself the money.
      I believe you are incorrect. The MSDS would not indicate any phosphoric acid in the solution.

The tech data sheet states you can swallow it with no harm.

Granted they do not list the ingredients specifically, however I have had a professional chemist look into it, and he was not certain what it is.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
        You weren't kidding about putting the bike in your office. LOL!

At least it's not outside, so you can work on it anytime! (rain or shine)

I don't think you're going to save those carb boots. It looks like red plasti-dip was use don them.

Here's an ebay listing for some inexpensive used ones (not too bad looking either): ($25 + $15 s/h)
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS110...7#ht_594wt_758

As you will find, this site and ebay are you 2 biggest friends on getting parts for your bike.

Keep us posted and ask for help, we love to give advice because most of us have been there/done that.

I have found a set of new carb boots for $65.00.
        79 YAMAHA XS1100F
        2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
        1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          I believe you are incorrect. The MSDS would not indicate any phosphoric acid in the solution.

The tech data sheet states you can swallow it with no harm.

Granted they do not list the ingredients specifically, however I have had a professional chemist look into it, and he was not certain what it is.
          +1! no phosphoric acid in EvapoRust either. If that were the case, I doubt I would of been retrieving a stop switch assembly from being soaked in it after dis-assembly. Switch itself still had the bright red line on top.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by CKlamer View Post
            I have found a set of new carb boots for $65.00.
            Have not seen them quite that cheap, but here is where I got a set for my current XS11

Intake Boots

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Coca-Cola has phosphoric acid in it. Metal Rescue does not.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                Coca-Cola has phosphoric acid in it. Metal Rescue does not.
                When I was at the Barber's Vintage Festival the Metal Rescue company had a tent set up and I spoke to them for a pretty long time. I had already decided to go with their product. So we will see as soon as it gets here.

But I do have another question. What did you use to just clean the fuel and loose stuff out of the tank before filling with Metal Rescue?

Spent a few hours today taking her apart. The tank, breather box and carbs are all off now.
                Had to cut the added fuel lines and cut off valves because they had hardened so bad they just would not come off.

I will add some new pictures tomorrow once I get them downloaded.
                Last edited by CKlamer; 11-02-2013, 10:36 PM.
                79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

On the Katana, which was the worst tank I have ever worked on, I started by using chain in the tank with good soapy water. Just to get the loose crap out and take the top layer off. Understand, when I got this bike, it had about a gallon of some brownish fluid in it that did not even smell like gas, or turpentine, or anything, odorless. And the tank was flaking rusty metal inside.

After the thorough rinsing and chain removal, I put two gallons of Metal Rescue in the tank. The very pitted spots look black, the rest of the metal is shiney new.

On my last XS11 build I had to get a used tank off Ebay. Here is a picture of the tank that gives a before and after, the MR only went part way over the tunnel.

Here is the same tank after I added the second gallon and got all of the tunnel.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

A chain is risky in a standard tank because of the small tube that runs from the gas cap area to the nipple on the rear of the tank. The chain can catch that and break the tube.

Use a dozen or so larger sized (the kind you put on a bolt) and shake it around.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I think I would just rinse it out with some solvent. Nuts and bolts will cut into the metal. I did some mechanical stripping myself. I used rust cutting media from Harbor Freight. A couple of hours in the dryer did a fantastic job.

5 Lb. Rust-Cutting Resin Abrasive Tumbler Medial
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Just want to make sure what ever goes in comes out. Don't want anything getting stuck inside the tank. I have some pictures coming and you can see the bucket of brown fluid sitting on the ground.

The entire inside of the tank is completely covered in rust I will get some pictures.

Do the petcock rebuild kits come with a new feed tube/filter inside the tank?
                        At least one of mine is damaged.
                        79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                        2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                        1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Originally posted by CKlamer View Post
                          Do the petcock rebuild kits come with a new feed tube/filter inside the tank?
                          At least one of mine is damaged.
                          No, not in the kit. You'll need OEM. Your F needs 1J7-24514-02-00 NET,FILTER 1. They're just under $30 each at Partzilla.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

I think I would just rinse it out with some solvent. Nuts and bolts will cut into the metal. I did some mechanical stripping myself. I used rust cutting media from Harbor Freight. A couple of hours in the dryer did a fantastic job.

5 Lb. Rust-Cutting Resin Abrasive Tumbler Medial
                            Thanks that will work great.
                            How much did you put in the tank and what else did you add with it?
                            79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                            2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                            1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

True on the chain Nate, DBeardslee I think tries that years ago and had a heck of a time getting it out. I did that on the Katana, much different tank shape and access holes. On the XS tank I would do as you stated, nuts and bolts.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

No, not in the kit. You'll need OEM. Your F needs 1J7-24514-02-00 NET,FILTER 1. They're just under $30 each at Partzilla.
                                Jet I was looking at the partzilla site and the part number you gave me is for a 1980 and it would probably work fine but the part number is different for the 1979. It comes up as 3H3-24514-00-00 and they are only $17.00 each. What's the difference in the two?

I really appreciate all of the information guys please keep it coming.
                                Last edited by CKlamer; 11-03-2013, 09:43 AM.
                                79 YAMAHA XS1100F
                                2012 KAWASAKI CONCOURS
                                1981 HONDA CB985CR

Comment

Working...
                                X