Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mpg

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
    Mike I think your decreased fuel consumption is less dependent on the draft and more dependent on the stately speed with which most HDs run

John
    Hi John,

I am inclined to agree with you.

Mike
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I gained 1.5 miles per gallon with the FD conversion on average.
      Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

MPG Gain

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
        I gained 1.5 miles per gallon with the FD conversion on average.
        I consider that a substantial increase.
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

It sure beats a sharp stick in the eye! LOL. The lower rpm is such a nice thing on a bike of this size and ability to do long distance.
          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
            It sure beats a sharp stick in the eye! LOL. The lower rpm is such a nice thing on a bike of this size and ability to do long distance.
            These bikes ALREADY have the ability to do long distance rides, as they come stock. IMO, unless one is intending to make the bike their main and only ride, with LD riding being the main purpose, the final drive swap is a downgrade as far as longgivity and drive train load, if your just gonna use bike for local riding and short 1000mi. jaunts.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I STRONLY disagree Brant. I have an 850 FD in my bike that I've had in there since 09. My XS is my daily driver here in town, my long distance bike, and carves the twisties as well as my abilities will allow. Never had an issue with it and I'm NOT nice to it.

The difference is instead of 5K at 70 I run 5K at 80. Other than that the difference is unnoticeable.

It probably isn't necessary on a standard with a 17" wheel because a17" on a standard is EXACTLY the same gearing as a 16" on a Special with the mod.

Maybe someone here with the mod on a Standard will speak up.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

With the 850 drive, 70 MPH is 3500 RPM with the 17" wheel. It's nice on the highway. It's a little too tall thru town but on the Special with the 16" it's just perfect. JMHO
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I know we'll agree to disagree on this Brant (and others).

The FD swap is a no brainier for me and my bike. Lowered the rpm, gained mpg, and other than Scotty (3Phase) who basically and deliberately ran an FD conversion into the ground on purpose for the sake of knowledge, I have yet to hear of an issue with reliability of any bike components, other than an FD swap/set up not being done correctly and the FD dying.

Sure, the 850 FD is shown to be the choice vs 750 FD, but again, the reliability issue just isn't there in reality with either FD swap.

4000 rpm at 60 mph with a Special is not what i want, and was all about the short stop light to stop light crowd, period.

I would not do the FD swap on a Standard with the stock FD/17" rim. On my G, final gearing/rpm combo is perfect in my mind, which is precisely the rpm the FD conversion gives the Special.

I'll let everyone know as soon as my downgrade in longevity breaks. Ha-ha!

Until then, I will keep using 85 octane here in Colorado and get 37.5 mpg in daily use. I voted 87 octane since that was the lowest choice.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    I STRONLY disagree Brant. I have an 850 FD in my bike that I've had in there since 09. My XS is my daily driver here in town, my long distance bike, and carves the twisties as well as my abilities will allow. Never had an issue with it and I'm NOT nice to it.

The difference is instead of 5K at 70 I run 5K at 80. Other than that the difference is unnoticeable.

It probably isn't necessary on a standard with a 17" wheel because a17" on a standard is EXACTLY the same gearing as a 16" on a Special with the mod.

Maybe someone here with the mod on a Standard will speak up.
                    Seeing that the 850 drive hasn't given anyone grief as opposed to the lighter duty 750 drive, I'll retract that opinion.
                    The Standard, stock final drive rpm's@ 75mph are 5K on my Venturer. Speedo is also dead-on checked with GPS. I know anything above 4K fuel consumption starts increasing..........but motor is so silky smooth at 5K, it's hard to resist just lettin' it roll.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

mpg octane

Has anyone actually tested the 750 against the 850 FD, or is this just unsubstantiated opinions?????? I have an 81SH with 66,000 total, and 40,000 plus with a 750 FD installed, that has been ridden severely, with no noises, metal in FD oil, or anything else to indicate an imminent failure. Has ANYONE broken a 750 or 850 FD, mounted on an 1100???????????????
                      Let the opinions fly.

ExcessiveBiker

Comment

The type 1 750 FD is actually the same as the type 2 750-850 FD the difference being the pinion depth and pinion bearing preload on the type 1 is a shimmed adjustment and the type 2 has a crush sleeve. The type 1 is very sensitive to the torque on the pinion nut, the type 2 not so much.

The type 1 FDs I've seen fail were, as far as I could see, improper pinion depth adjustment or over tightening of the pinion nut causing pinion bearing failure.

Has anyone killed a type 2?

My $.02
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Seeing that the 850 drive hasn't given anyone grief as opposed to the lighter duty 750 drive, I'll retract that opinion.
                          The Standard, stock final drive rpm's@ 75mph are 5K on my Venturer. Speedo is also dead-on checked with GPS. I know anything above 4K fuel consumption starts increasing..........but motor is so silky smooth at 5K, it's hard to resist just lettin' it roll.
                          Well, that is pretty standard rpm for that speed for standards...
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hmm, the Type 1 and Type 2 '750 FD is 'weak' only compared to a '850 FD and the stock 1100 FD.

I killed the Type 2 '750 FD in my '80G but it took a lot to do it. It ran for, uh, I forget how many thousands of miles now but it died from wear and tear followed by lubrication failure. It was still running when I took it off the bike but it was definitely an ex-final drive, it wasn't just resting....

-- Scott
                            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                            1979 XS1100F: parts
                            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                            X