No announcement yet.

MPG & What octane gas do you use? - Take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i do get better performance and MPG from the mid range "real gas" that is available around here. I've never heard my 81 ping on any fuel I've fed it so thats not a factor for me. I will use anything in a pinch but always make sure there is non alcohol fuel in the carbs if the bike is going to sit for an extended time. These carbs have been on the bike for 6 years and are due a cleaning. I'll get to it this winter.
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The Good News

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Good luck finding pure gasoline in Roswell. The closest vendor to me is eight miles and it's 89 octane only. 93 octane is available in Suches and at Turners Corner. I have to go to Blairsville for 87. At a rally based in Townsend, TN three weeks ago, I was able to run pure gas all weekend.
      Hi Marty,

You are right about that. Probably not a single non-ethanol station in the Roswell-Alpharetta area. I have a shop in Jasper. Found a non-ethanol station just outside of town there on hwy 53. They have mid grade (89) also. That is my only source from here so far. And the good news is that I have plenty of gas cans.

MP
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Mpg

The SH has the 750 rear end mod. I used to get 4k at 60-65 with the stock gearing. The H has a 17" rear wheel, so it gives the same numbers as the other bike.
        I have never calibrated the tach or the speedo, so their accuracy is based on Yamaha engineering on a 32 year old bike.

ExcessiveBiker

Comment

Mpg

Have you checked the MPG ?
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
          80 XS 1100 SG
          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

67octane as the higher octane doesn't go 'bang' soon enough with the low compression ratio of these bikes. As 3Phase has stated: "they'll run fine on kerosene and dead rats."
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

87octane as the higher octane doesn't go 'bang' soon enough with the low compression ratio of these bikes. As 3Phase has stated: "they'll run fine on kerosene and dead rats."
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

On my G

I've always run 87 octane in my G, and even experimented with non-ethanol fuel, but could never get more than 35 mpg. This weekend BikerPhil came over and we/he tore the carbs down, cleaned them, re-assembled them, and put them back in.
                On Sunday we went for a 140 mi. ride and I got 40.26 mpg !!!
                Big difference.
                Due to previous bad experiences where the wire clips on the top of the float needles hung up on the float tangs and flooded that cylinder, we/he eliminated them and set the stop of the float so they would operate within a proper range. This had become a real headache on my bike, don't know why. Typically it happened in #4 and I would drop the bowl and fix it. But then it happened in #2 so it was time to change things around.
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Octane is Resistance to Combustion. The higher the octane, the less tendency to burn. High compression Engines need more octane, because the Higher the compression, The easier the ignition. Think Diesel....Diesel have so much compression they do not even need spark. Ever heard an old car with high compression "diesel" on todays fuels. Hell even my Harley does on occasion.

I dont get why Harley's get so great of millage. My sportster is a Hot rod, 83 rwhp. and I never get less than 50 mpg and often upwards of 55 mpg.

I still dont have my Yamaha Running. But I did find a broken wire. So looking forward to fixing that and riding my Brand New Used 1100 this spring.
                  81 H Venturer

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                    I've always run 87 octane in my G, and even experimented with non-ethanol fuel, but could never get more than 35 mpg. This weekend BikerPhil came over and we/he tore the carbs down, cleaned them, re-assembled them, and put them back in.
                    On Sunday we went for a 140 mi. ride and I got 40.26 mpg !!!
                    Big difference.
                    Due to previous bad experiences where the wire clips on the top of the float needles hung up on the float tangs and flooded that cylinder, we/he eliminated them and set the stop of the float so they would operate within a proper range. This had become a real headache on my bike, don't know why. Typically it happened in #4 and I would drop the bowl and fix it. But then it happened in #2 so it was time to change things around.
                    Congrats on figuring out the problem. I was stunned when I went from 34MPG tops to 43 tops & all because of an extreme rebuild where I replaced all the jets with new. In an earlier rebuild I had replaced the throttle shaft seals. The old jets must have been buggered by a PO but now I never get less than 40 unless I'm riding it hard.

Gary
                    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

On Cobia's bike (80G), we also advanced the timing a few degrees and I'm sure that helped a bit with the MPG's.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If I run 60 - 65 MPH I get 40+ MPG also. I already have noticeable detonation at high rpms in high gear. I'm afraid if I advance the timing it will get worse
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Greg, I put a colder spark plug (BP7ES) in my SF and it seems to help reduce detonanion a bit , YMMV
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I actually thought about doing that a while back and never did.

Thanks Phil, I think I'll give that a shot.

NGK plugs run backwards as far as heat range I believe. The higher the # the colder the plug.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

FWIW - when I put the bikes away for the winter I fill up with avgas (I know, not legal - no road taxes paid), but also no crap in the fuel. The carbs are nice and clean in the spring + she REALLY likes avgas! Learned that trick on an Airhead (BMW) forum.

Some of the small airports have self service pumps but you might need a friend at the airport to get access. $4.65 / gal. here and that's cheap.
                              Last edited by XS11UFO; 11-08-2013, 04:04 AM.
                              Scott
                              1979 XS1100F
                              1978 R100S BMW

Comment

Why do you put bikes away for the winter in Palatka?
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X