Stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck

I've been on my back for 4 hrs. trying to get that gear cluster back in the trans, did the washer swap but doubt that changed anything enough for the gears to block me getting the gear set into position, just don't fit back in, came out so easily, should have guessed putting it back would be a pain.

Any suggestions sure would help my sanity, sanity LOL.

TIA !! Done };~)
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

I have NOT been able to get the cluster in after the swap! The washer is about 0.005 too thick for the cluster to clear the case. You may be able to file the case at the point the gear hits to install with the swap. Other try would grind a little off the thickness of the washer. Use a plate of glass with oiled wet/dry paper to take some off.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      I have NOT been able to get the cluster in after the swap! The washer is about 0.005 too thick for the cluster to clear the case. You may be able to file the case at the point the gear hits to install with the swap. Other try would grind a little off the thickness of the washer. Use a plate of glass with oiled wet/dry paper to take some off.
      Tried putting the original cluster back in without the washer swap, same problem. I need 1/16-1/8 " to clear the upper gear closest to the left side with 5th gear removed of course.
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Should fit back in without the swap. Check the POSITION of the gears, as in what the rotation the gears are in order to clear. I found I needed to rotate some of the gears to get extra clearance. Although in the end, it just "magically went in".
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          Should fit back in without the swap. Check the POSITION of the gears, as in what the rotation the gears are in order to clear. I found I needed to rotate some of the gears to get extra clearance. Although in the end, it just "magically went in".
          Pretty much what I had happen(no washer swap). Took a breather for the nite, came back next evening, got under it(had bike centerstand up on 6"x6" for easy access), and it fell right into place. Decided at that point, curiosity didn't over-rule removing again to see what caused the prior issue.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

You need to find that magical combination of curses and yelling to make it work.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Pretty much what I had happen(no washer swap). Took a breather for the nite, came back next evening, got under it(had bike centerstand up on 6"x6" for easy access), and it fell right into place. Decided at that point, curiosity didn't over-rule removing again to see what caused the prior issue.
              Got mine hung from the handle bars as high as I could get it before the center stand started to tip it on the foot of the stand, rear wheel off. Super brite LEDs under there to see clear. Just hitting that left hand upper gear with the gear next to 5th by the slightest bit. Tried moving gears around to no avail.
              Dang came out like a charm !
              Might try again tonight if not maybe next day a charm ?
              Can I put it together and install the shift forks after ?

TIA Done };~)
              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

I had the same issue (I think everyone has) when I did this the one and only time about 18 mos ago, so bear with my memory! I did the dremel fix and the washer swap and managed to get it back together, so it will go. My motor was out of the bike at the time and upside down on the floor as opposed to you being under it. Here is a picture I snapped after the shaft dropped back in but before putting 5th gear back on:
                [IMG][/IMG]
                Here it is with arrows:
                [IMG][/IMG]
                Just for clarity, you can see 5 gears on the shaft. But from left to right you see the middle driven gear, 1st gear, 4th gear, 3rd gear, and 2nd gear...5th gear still on my bench.

I recall something about the gear on the lower shaft (blue arrow) needing to be slid a bit over to the right/towards 5th gear side to allow 4th gear to clear the shift fork (double arrow). This meant the other fork (red arrow) had to be in the right position to allow that lower gear to slide. Seems I also remember needing the middle driven gear, last one on the left, to be out towards the end of the shaft creating some spacing from 1st gear since it was impossible? for me to get both the middle driven gear AND 1st gear to engage the gears below them if they were tight to each other on the shaft.

Not sure about installing the forks after. I had mine held in place with a straightened coat hanger through the case and the fork shaft taken out. After dropping the gear shaft back in, I think I held the forks in place one at a time with another stiff wire or a screw driver and fed the fork shaft back though the forks.

Not sure if this will help, but rest assured that anyone who has done this before is rooting for you!
                Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Oops...forgot the pic of what it looks like put back together, just so you have something to compare to how the gears looked when the shaft dropped back in.
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Had the same problem

So to start, I did this with my bike on its right side rather that on it's back (I live alone and don't have the extra hands of a wife just yet). To get the gears and shaft out took me ~30-40 min and eventually I use the right combination of swear words and it popped out. NOW, to get it back in make sure 5th gear is still off (I assume you already know that) and you only need to have the 3rd shift fork in position to get it back in. I found that if you angle it so that the bottom is forward of the bearing cover hole before you try inserting it (rather than trying to push it in with it angled out of the case). Here is a picture, you might have to click on it and zoom in:

Then of course once the all the other gears are in place you can slide 5th gear on and install the 1st shift fork. Hope this helps. It is a son of a gun, took me an hour to reinstall it and it just magically went back in.
                    78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
                    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      You need to find that magical combination of curses and yelling to make it work.
                      Didn't work for me. The more frustrated, the worse it got. Quietly snuck up on it the next evening, very stealthly slid under with shaft assembly still hanging there, carefully pushed up so as not to be detected and disturb the shift forks caught just right above that and walla, in it went. Reached up, touched each fork and they dropped perfectly in place. Bettin that would not of happened twice in a row, and wasn't gonna remove to find out, or remove to find what the hang-up was either.
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks Guys !

I'll try all you all have suggested.
                        I did get the cluster back in magically but did not put the #3 fork on and it will not go on with the cluster in place.
                        Took a bit to get it back out put the #3 fork on and spent another 4 hrs. on my back to no avail.
                        Like I said I'll try all your suggestions, maybe again tonight or next day.
                        I'm sore and beat up at this point but I'm not giving up, laying on a rug helps but at 60 my shoulders head and arms are sore but not done.
                        12 hrs. from now might not be able to move maybe take a break and back at it ?

Thank You All ! Done };~)
                        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                        80 XS650 G Special II
                        80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

So here is the things I find are key to getting the gears back in.

1 I start by holding getting the second gear shift fork up in place. Then I hold the shift fork for fourth gear (the one farthest toward the clutch side) on the fourth gear like it is ready to shift it. An alternative is to take all three shift forks and put a piece of string or similar though the holes the shift fork shaft goes through and use it to held them in place, I have never used that technique myself. Do note that the 1 and 3 shift forks look very similar, but are different. They are numbered.

2 Now as you slide the gear shaft into place, get second gear up in place first so the end with middle driven gear and first gear are down. Get it as far over toward 5th gear space as you can. Second gear will be against the main shaft gear that drives 5th gear.

3 Now let the middle driven gear and the first gear wheel slide out toward the clutch side case, Let first come off its bearing. This lets them slide over against the case and tilt on angle a little so they can go up into place, even though the shaft is not over that far. Use care so middle driven gear does not go all the way off the keys of the shaft, it has to be lined up to go on the shaft as it gets into place.

4 The tricky part is that the inside of the case has a "pocket" for the case side hub of the middle driven gear to fit into, it is a PITA to get the hub over the lip and into the pocket. There is a small opening in the ring that helps it get into place. This is where you have to manipulate things just so to let that hub get into the pocket.

4 Once you get that hub into the pocket, the shaft will be able to line up with the bearing, and by this point, first is back on its bearing.

I am still pleasantly surprised when all my cursing and swearing and praying add up to it magically going into place, but these clues and techniques have cut down on the number of attempts until the magic happens for me. And BTW, I ALWAYS do the washer swap, so it does go in with the washer swapped.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                            Thanks Guys !

I'll try all you all have suggested.
                            I did get the cluster back in magically but did not put the #3 fork on and it will not go on with the cluster in place.
                            Took a bit to get it back out put the #3 fork on and spent another 4 hrs. on my back to no avail.
                            Like I said I'll try all your suggestions, maybe again tonight or next day.
                            I'm sore and beat up at this point but I'm not giving up, laying on a rug helps but at 60 my shoulders head and arms are sore but not done.
                            12 hrs. from now might not be able to move maybe take a break and back at it ?

Thank You All ! Done };~)
                            DGXSER's method DOES work. If your referring to the fartherest fork to the left side, it does NOT have to go in till shaft assembly goes in. Easy to put in, since you slide fift gear on thru bearing hole AFTER assembly is in, which leaves plenty of room to stick that fork up in there without the gear on.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Didn't work for me.
                              You just didn't find the right combination.....
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X