Can't tighten headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't tighten headers

Had the stock headers off my XJ parts bike ceramic coated. Went to install them tonight with new exhaust gaskets and cylinders 1&2 snugged up fine but 3&4 won't get tight. The nuts hold the flange tight against the machined surface of the exhaust port but the header still wiggles around, I don't dare tightened it any more for fear of stripping a stud. Why would this happen? Will putting a second gasket on do the trick?
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Hey there Billy,

Curious, you say STOCK headers, yet your signature says Jardine Spaghetti?? So..are they really stock headers or the Jardines??

Just a stupid question, but you did remove the old crushed exhaust gaskets from the head?? After years and heat/pressure, they can get flattened and squished and discolored so that they can be hard to differentiate from the actual header/head aluminum. And they could offset the alignment.?

If Jardines, then the flanges may have gotten bent?

Are the stud threaded all the way up to the head, or how close is the unthreaded portion is to the inside edge of the flange?

To answer, I think a double gasket would be fine, but as folks say, would be a bandaid type fix...it should fit with just a single gasket.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I bought the bike with Jardines on it but acquired a parts bike with stock headers...those are the ones I'm putting back on my bike for now.

I think I found the issue. I bought the gaskets on Ebay, said they fit the XJ, but they are very thin with a gray heat resistant coating on them and listing does reference the OEM part #4BE-14613-00-00, $8.79 w/ free shipping. I found the same part # On Georgefix's store but the gaskets appear to be 4-5mm thick.

It appears I need to order these other thicker metal gaskets.
      Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Working...
      X