No announcement yet.

No neutral issue need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like maybe a circlip on the drive axle in the tranny may have slipped out of it's groove and a gear is kinda floating freely in there.

I would guess, just a guess now, that someone has worked on second gear and the clip that holds the 2nd gear wheel has slipped out of place.

You should be able to see something with the oil pan removed.

If the neutral light is working the shift drum is stopping where it should.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'm pulling the pan now but another discover is this
      Clutch is off so as I roll the bike and go thru gears the shaft always spins but now with every other gear the bike stops rolling and I can only to back and forth say 1st I roll as far and I want
      2 only 2 '
      3 as far as I want
      4th back to 2'
      78 E

Comment

It does sound like a shift fork or a gear is out of place in there. I would need to go back and stufy the gear diagrams to follow the process of shifting the gears to figure out which. But I would definitely open the tranny pan and see what is in the pan or what you can see as far as shift forks and how they are sitting on the shift drum.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I'm loading a pic up soon I didn't find anything broke and I can't tell what's out of place I can see the forks and everything is attached I need to look at the manual to check it
          78 E

Comment

If you copy and past the IMG code of an individual photo from Photobucket to your posts here the pics are much easier for others to view.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Picture of the gears is in that link I lasted earlier its dark but anyone see anything out of sorts

Last edited by Itsdamadhatter; 07-09-2013, 07:31 PM.
              78 E

Comment

You really can't tell by the pic. I suggest drain all the fluids and flip the bike on it's back. It's MUCH easier to work on the transmission that way.

IMHO

Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

The second gear from the left in the pic in this is the one I was speaking of before. There should be no lateral movement on the shaft.

That's the second from the bottom in your pic.
                  Last edited by BA80; 07-09-2013, 07:40 PM.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hey folks, aside from the shifting/lost neutral issue, I think we're ignoring an important piece of description he provided. He said the oil pump idler gear will free spin when separated from the oil pump gear, but will only move less than a full circle when engaged with the oil pump gear!!!! That's a big red flag for me with regards to the oil pump!!

Hopefully he still has the clutch basket OFF of the shaft and can easily access the oil pump gear. He needs to see if he can spin the oil pump gear just by hand/finger and have it complete several 360 degree revolutions. If it will not spin a full rev, then he's burned up the gear in the oil pump some way, perhaps with the high rev he did...he did report hearing a SQUEEL shortly thereafter, which could have been the sound of the oil pump gear.

He shut it off quickly after that so I don't think he actually did any damage to the bearings/cams YET....but I would NOT try to start that engine again until I was sure that the oil pump was functioning!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by Itsdamadhatter View Post
                      Idler gear spins free if I remove the c clip and slight it out a slight amount soon as it goes back tight it binds again only in one spot and its strange because the teeth are perfect.... The shifter housing looks fine I don't know if it was off adjustment though. The shifter peg side came off with the cover... So I put the dots together and reassembled.
                      TC,

This sounds like it is binding on the shift fork shaft. If he slides it off the case, and I think it was still engaged to the oil pump, both gears turned easily. It only got harder when it was pushed back against the case and the clip installed. I wonder if the shaft is bent or even if the locating pin broke and the shaft is spinning perhaps??

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Or, it's just resistance from the pump impeller since there is still oil in there.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Ok my oil pump is good, I'm thinking that shaft the idler is on is out of whack so slightly it binds up. If I remove the c clip and slide the idler back and forth as it spins it operates fine. There's just that one sweet spot it doesn't like, almost like the gear isn't 100% round,

So with that said it leads me to believe the issue is possibly a fork binding and that shaft is stressed.... I dunno I have all the covers off I'm working in a small shed so its tough getting everything situated for me to dig in, that and I'm little freaked about pulling those gears.
                          78 E

Comment

Originally posted by Itsdamadhatter View Post
                            Ok my oil pump is good, I'm thinking that shaft the idler is on is out of whack so slightly it binds up. If I remove the c clip and slide the idler back and forth as it spins it operates fine. There's just that one sweet spot it doesn't like, almost like the gear isn't 100% round,

So with that said it leads me to believe the issue is possibly a fork binding and that shaft is stressed.... I dunno I have all the covers off I'm working in a small shed so its tough getting everything situated for me to dig in, that and I'm little freaked about pulling those gears.
                            That shift fork shaft(same one idler gear is on) has a machined slot cut out of it for the fartherest gear on right side to clear(1st gear IIRC), hence the roll pin thru end of shaft on clutch side to keep it positioned correctly in order to clear the gear. If that roll pin or ajoining slot get fubared allowing shaft to rotate even ever so slightly(close clearance for gear), it could possibly bind up that lower shaft assembly.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Look up into the tranny form below and it should look very much like this...

The brighter metal shaft is the one the shift forks are on, same shaft that oil pump idler gear is on. All three shift forks should wiggle just a touch, not really move, but not rigid from any movement.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Oil pump idler had a super small tit on it so that's fine now

My forks all have some wiggle to them and I can watch them go thru the motions when I shift through so everything on that side of things is proper at least the lower gears I see all work
                                78 E

Comment

Working...
                                X