No neutral issue need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/it...atter/library/

I'm having issues getting the link so here in my library I put a video up of the case open. I'm lost.
    78 E

Comment

Separating the cases was unnecessary. Click on the pic and the video will start.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I seperated the cases because I'm being told there's gears out of place or circlips lost so I'm digging for the issue but everything looks fine.

Nuetral I can rotate the shaft all day
        Any gear locks up and spins back and forth when I seperate everything spins free
        78 E

Comment

No suggestions at all
          78 E

Comment

Put the cases back together and go in from the oil pan. One thing you could check while your still there is make sure the shift forks are installed in the correct positions. They are numbered 1 - 2 - 3 from the shifter side to the clutch side. The numbers are on the side of the forks near the shaft they slide on.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I would also suggest you go ahead and refresh the starter clutch since you have it all apart anyway.

The repair kit is about 3/4 down this page http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xs1100/?filters[category]=electrical
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Shift forks are good, I pulled that rod to see if it was bent, which all is good with that

I pulled both shafts and pulled the gears off to check all the clips and whatnot all is fine with those, the bearings are good

I'm almost at the point of putting it all back together and running it hard till something actually breaks

Is there a diagram anywhere of what gears lock together when shifted?
                78 E

Comment

I'll see if I can get trbig to help you with some of the questions I can't answer off the top of my head.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Sorry.. the site was down for a while for me.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm trying to read this thing from the beginning, and I can't really understand much of what you're saying.

I've had my bike pop into gear when it was in neutral and revved it. I've learned to never do that unless the clutch handle is pulled. Check the little throwout bearings on the cover as well as that little bearing. It should be nice and smooth rolling.

From the video: The big Hyvo chain you were checking the stretch on is fine.

All your circlips are there. For some reason, that bearing only gets a half of one as well as the one going to the big gear behind that that runs your middle drive.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

And as a warning.. I hope you have a manual for re-assembly. The torques, along with the sequence are critical.. as well as the warnings for the liquid gasket material you use around the crank bearing journals. Also, check the little rubber O-ring where the oil pump feeds the top shell.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

All bearing are good, I currently have the case open with the bottom case layin there with both gear shafts in place nuetral allows me to spin the clutch shaft all the was around,,, when any gear is engaged the gear lock up and only spin slight amount. That's with no clutch installed so to my understanding these two gear shafts should spin together no matter the gear,,,, correct
                        And in nuetral should the middle drive gear be spinning?
                        78 E

Comment

I will post a video link that Mack made, does show which gear is which and such. I dont know if it will be of any use to you but here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvk9-...ature=youtu.be
                          2-79 XS1100 SF
                          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I was just watching that vid again and noticed that the shift return spring on the engine in the vid is real close to failing.

Just an observation.......carry on.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Another thing to look for with shifting issues. On the shifter side, the shifter pushes/pulls against little pins on left side of the shift drum . A starfish looking cover holds these pins in place. Sometimes they can get bent or dislodged and mess with shifting. In 2nd gear, all the lines and dots shown by the red lines should line up.

If everything looks good on that side, that shift drum that the nipples on the shift forks get guided by... On the other end of it is a star looking thick washer that a spring loaded detent pin rides on. I have had one get out of place and the circlip come off.

This will cause the forks to be in the wrong place when it's clicked into that detent spot and will cause gears meshing wrong.. neutral not being where it's supposed to etc...
                              Last edited by trbig; 07-14-2013, 06:32 PM.

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100

Comment

Don't know how but now I have the shafts spinning free in nuetral and third gear

On the upper shaft where shift fork 2 goes on that gear which is two actually are the teeth on those even or slight offset
                                78 E

Comment

Working...
                                X