No announcement yet.

Unknown part left over after reassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^^ If that is what it is, you better pull that motor back apart and put it back in there.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Yup. Dont even think about running without it. Oil pressure wont get high enough somewhere.

I have not torn mine down to that point so luckily never forgot it and had to tear it down again

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

missing part

Thanks everyone for your replies! i am the one who owns this "81" 1100. my brother started the thread..
        It was only one part left over. the dimensions are approx 7/16" long and 3/8 diameter. a part from the crank case, makes sense. will check further

thanks again !!!!
        81 SH

Comment

missing part

Yep the bike stays in the garage! My oil pressure light goes off, but I assume that dosent mean the oil is getting to all areas. four weekends till big trip out west, have my work cut out for me!

Thanks everyone for your help
          81 SH

Comment

Originally posted by RJriver View Post
            Yep the bike stays in the garage! My oil pressure light goes off, but I assume that dosent mean the oil is getting to all areas. four weekends till big trip out west, have my work cut out for me!

That you do!......................done yet?
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I like how you gave him the FULL 6 minutes to get it done!

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Part next to a ruler

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                A ruler or something next to it for scale would have been helpful?

IT has a central hole like a jet, but not the full head like most of the jets on our carbs. So...even though it has a central hole, it may not be a necessary function? It almost looks like a set screw...like on the carb choke rod??

Good luck!?
                T.C.
                Thank you all for your feedback. I took your suggestions and have the part next to a ruler.

http://twitter.com/BigDodge440/statu...034496/photo/1

Comment

Yep, that's no carb jet......
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well, with the hints from the others, I looked at the microfiche, and part #13 on the 81H Crankcase fiche shows something like this screwing into the lower crankcase at the mains bearing journals sections...listed as 3 of them for the bike. It's a common part still used on bikes up to the 2011 Vstar engine!

2H7-15138-00-00 Labelled as a NOZZLE. I can't find any real good photos, the microfiche don't show it in enough detail, and a search for the Yamaha Part # just references the fiche. SO....it looks like what is used to help keep the oil pressure UP as it flows into the crankshaft!?

It appears to fit into the LOWER crankcase half, so after you pull the engine, you will "only" need to pull the lower crankcase half off to access it and find the missing hole that's missing it's nozzle! Good Luck!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

It's an oil flow limiter to keep most of the oil at the crankshaft rather that pumping more than necessary to the cams. You may be OK with out it in there but could cause bearing problems at high RPMs at the bottom end.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

damn i thought it was to the carbs. looks so familar. lol
                        79 SF

Wow, did I just give advice? should I be doing that?

1983 GL1100 bored to a 1300 sold
                        1976cb750 project gifted to brother
                        1979 xs1100s currently working on

Wanting to have that head turner that makes people shut up!

Comment

I knew it was not stock to the carbs, but got confused by the four pics. I have had one XS11 motor pulled down that far, but I was parting it out, not rebuilding, so I never noticed that in there.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                            A ruler or something next to it for scale would have been helpful?

IT has a central hole like a jet, but not the full head like most of the jets on our carbs. So...even though it has a central hole, it may not be a necessary function? It almost looks like a set screw...like on the carb choke rod??

Good luck!?
                            T.C.
                            Here is a couple of pictures next to a ruler. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

http://pic.twitter.com/zEC11jJ3hK

Comment

extra part

Originally posted by RJriver View Post

OK Bro, this link is for you. I know you are an avid outdoorsman, is this extra part from a.....drum roll.......

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0095009/ph...7634569610317/

Comment

Well... Was that it? I've never seen this part in our motors.
                                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100
                                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Working...
                                X