Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

I figured I owe you guys an update.

The problem ended up being one exhaust header pipe (#3) which had rotted out right where the end goes into the head. It's double walled, so the inner pipe was ok but the outer pipe was rattling around. All I had to do was kick it and I could see it moving in and out. The rattling was due to vibration. WHEW!!! I was sweating the rebuild for a while there but all is still good.

I need to replace the headers soon. I could also see a pinhole leak in the inner pipe, which explains an occasional burp I could hear from the intake.

I took it off, welded it back together, cleaned it up with a right angle grinder, and put it back on. Now the occasional exhaust burp is gone. That should get me through this summer. I will deal with a new exhaust setup this upcoming winter.

Oh yeah, I replaced the clutch basket as well. It was kind of helpful to have this problem because while going behind the clutch basket, I discovered pretty worn springs. The clutch basket I purchased on Ebay was a lucky find as all plates and springs were in much better condition than my original. The PO must have replaced them before having the bike parted out.
    1980 xs1100g "rat bike" rescued from PO @27,000mi.
    New rings, Valves, Timing Chain, Ported and Polished, Gasket Matched, Stage III Jet Kit w/47.5 pilots,

Comment

Hmmm... Should have put new Barnett springs in there while you had it out, and you'd never have to worry about it again. Maybe you'll luck out though and the PO put them in that basket for you! lol.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Ha ha....... I was going to say that but I didn't want anyone thinking I was working For Barnett like some people accused me of working for Castrol a while back.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Ha ha....... I was going to say that but I didn't want anyone thinking I was working For Barnett like some people accused me of working for Castrol a while back.

I mainly accuse you of working for Bush Beer Co.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Barnet. Noted. There is still much work to do..
            1980 xs1100g "rat bike" rescued from PO @27,000mi.
            New rings, Valves, Timing Chain, Ported and Polished, Gasket Matched, Stage III Jet Kit w/47.5 pilots,

Comment

Working...
            X