Quick Counterbolt/clutch basket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Counterbolt/clutch basket question

I suspect I may have the infamous loose counterbolt problem. I am hearing an intermittent strange grinding/scraping noise coming from the right side of the engine (as I sit on it). It happens only when moving, and mostly at the point of throttling down. It is so intermittent that I can only reproduce the sound while on the road, which makes it nearly impossible to tell where it actually is. I feel no clutch slippage at all and it stays in gear just fine. Right now just the noise, and it started a few days ago so I parked it. I want to try and save the bolt before it gets destroyed.

I will drop the pan this weekend to ensure it's not the can chain guide. I will also check the tensioner as I put in a new timing chain during the rebuild.

The question I have is:
    Can I service/check the bolt without opening the crankcase? It looks to me like i should be able to remove the clutch basket and get at it without a complete teardown but I want to be sure before I start. The manuals are a bit vague and make it difficult to answer with the pics. Can someone confirm for me?
    1980 xs1100g "rat bike" rescued from PO @27,000mi.
    New rings, Valves, Timing Chain, Ported and Polished, Gasket Matched, Stage III Jet Kit w/47.5 pilots,

Hard to tell from your post but it sounds more like a bearing in the transmission has gone bad.

See if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Try running it through the gears on the center stand?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Pull the right engine side cover off and see what it looks like in there (the cover with the 3 allen head screws in it). Leave the allen screw alone just take the cover off and see if you see any scraping of anything inside the cover.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Gosh I hope its not a bearing. Just did a complete top end rebuild and finally got it back on the road. The problem is that it is intermittent, happening mostly, but not only in 4th when throttling up or down. I can prevent/stop it by adjusting my speed slightly. If I take it easy it doesn't make any noise at all, but who wants to take it easy on this bike? She wants to Go!

It sounds rotational to me, not like a chain slap, but I can't pinpoint it due to it being intermittent. I will do the center stand gear check as you suggest. I will also check everything on that side this weekend and report back. I am hoping that it is only the bolt..

Maybe I read too much before analyzing the real problem but who can blame me, you guys are just FULL of information and it's nice to know what I am getting into before I start!
        New rings, Valves, Timing Chain, Ported and Polished, Gasket Matched, Stage III Jet Kit w/47.5 pilots,

Comment

Will do that too Nate!

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            Pull the right engine side cover off and see what it looks like in there (the cover with the 3 allen head screws in it). Leave the allen screw alone just take the cover off and see if you see any scraping of anything inside the cover.
            HUH?
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Oh yeah, no one answered my question though....if it IS the bolt...can I address by pulling the clutch or will I have to perform a teardown?

Searched the forums and the manuals and the answer is not completely clear although I suspect that is how it is done.

Comment

If it's the bolt I think your talking about, yes it's accessable by removing the clutch. If that's what it is you'll need a new bolt.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I haven't done it yet, but can't you take the side cover off the bike without draining the oil as long as the bike is on the side stand?
                  Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                  The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.
                  bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                  Scarlet
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                  Hugo
                  Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    HUH?
                    Check the easy things first, it is sounds like a rubbing/grinding coming from the right side see if it is something under the alt cover.

Start with the simple things and move on the the more difficult! Takes a few seconds to pull the cover and look, nothing wrong move to the clutch cover.
                    Last edited by natemoen; 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                      I haven't done it yet, but can't you take the side cover off the bike without draining the oil as long as the bike is on the side stand?
                      Funny you mentioned that as I was wondering the same thing myself! If I can see oil in the window when it's on the side stand then I would have to say no. But I will check that too!

Comment

I have pulled the clutch cover many times on the side stand without draining the oil. Oil spillage is insignificant.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Are you talking about the small round cover down by your left ankle? Your comment is confusing about "the cover with the 3 allen head screws in it" because that the only cover I can think of and it is on the left side of the bike... hence Gregs comment...
                          HUH?
                          Check the easy things first, it is sounds like a rubbing/grinding coming from the right side see if it is something under the alt cover.

Start with the simple things and move on the the more difficult! Takes a few seconds to pull the cover and look, nothing wrong move to the clutch cover.
                          Again, the alt cover is on the left side of the bike, forward of the other little cover mentioned above.
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                            Are you talking about the small round cover down by your left ankle? Your comment is confusing about "the cover with the 3 allen head screws in it" because that the only cover I can think of and it is on the left side of the bike... hence Gregs comment...

Again, the alt cover is on the left side of the bike, forward of the other little cover mentioned above.
                            The alternator if on the RIGHT side Wade. The three allen screws threw me for a minute too but those are the screws that hold the stator coils in the cover.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

The alternator if on the RIGHT side Wade. The three allen screws threw me for a minute too but those are the screws that hold the stator coils in the cover.
                              Never mind, going to stay out of it, just going to muck things up even more if I keep talkin. **walks away**
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                              X