Carb butterfly seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb butterfly seals

I'm in the process of doing a complete rebuild on the carbs for my 78 e model. Before I install the butterfly shaft seals should I soak them in silicone first to be proactive to fight drying out or just install them as is? The seals that are coming out are the originals and are hard and starting to leak. Any opinions?

Considering those are most likely the original seals, they had no coating, and lasted about 30 years, chances are you replacements will be fine for longer than you will own the bike.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
      Considering those are most likely the original seals, they had no coating, and lasted about 30 years, chances are you replacements will be fine for longer than you will own the bike.
      Hi DGXSER,
      OTOH, the replacement seals may be made from an inferior compound and the stuff they sell as gas these days eats elastomers.
      Lube 'em up, I'd say.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I second that. I dont own any currently but would probably go buy some o-ring lube.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

any seal that u fit should have a small smear of rubber grease on the seal
          and shaft, also check that they are the correct size
          apparently they come in 2 sizes, the last time I bought
          some they were slightly smaller on the outside diameter
          by around half a mm from memory.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X