XS1100 1, owner 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 1, owner 0

Well put gas in the tank, plumbing all was great, ran down into the bowls and No. 1 carb just PISSED it out, but not out the throat, out the bowl gasket!!! ^&%$%^#!!!!! gotta pull the carbs off now and see what the heck that is all about. The others all behaved fine. Very weird, that gasket went on just like the rest. Hmmmm, time for some aviation gasket #2 as a backup maybe??? It's supposed to be fuel resistant.
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

So if you want to get technical.... It's you 3, the carbs 1! Three outta four carbs ain't too bad odds! lol.

You'll get it figured out. Beats figuring it out now instead of having it all re-assembled and having your air box fill up with fuel... wondering which one it was.

I know not everyone has the spare parts I do, but I've got an old lawnmower gas tank mounted above an old head that has the carb boots still attached. I'll push the carbs into the boots and plug in the fuel lines to see if the carbs leak before I mount them to the bike.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Check the bowl. Not the toilet..the carb bowl. Not sure how new to you the bike is. I have a set of carbs did the same thing to me, turned out the PO of the carbs had a later style bowl on the earlier body. Due to the very slight diff in alignment of the enrichment jet, the bowl did not seat 100% and leaked. Swapped bowls out and fixed the slightly deformed tube, works great now.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

I've had a bowl that was very tight fitting and would sometimes get a little cocked when trying to put it in, i've since remembered everytime to make sure those suckers are firmly seated before I tighten those 4 screws down.
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

You should be able to get to the bowl screws without pulling the carbs. I've done it before on 1 and 4.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Update - Idiot puts 2 gaskets on one carb, leaves one with none

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            You should be able to get to the bowl screws without pulling the carbs. I've done it before on 1 and 4.
            Yeah, tried it BA, but no luck, so pulled the carbs. So once again, working with things on your mind doesn't work too well. Pulled the offending carb bowl off, and found NO gasket! Amazingly No. 4 carb had TWO gaskets.
            Moral of the story; start fresh, think straight, and keep a clear mind. Lesson learned, about to go put them back on and see what happens next.
            Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Hey, something like that has happened to all of us! At least it didn't cost you any money.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                Hey, something like that has happened to all of us! At least it didn't cost you any money.

Nope.. not me! BUT.. I have heard that a bike will run like crap and only get @ 15 MPG riding home if you forget to tighten the pilot jets all the way and one falls out into the bowl while you're riding. So I've heard...

Glad it was an easy enough fix. What absolutely drives me bonkers is when I clean the carbs, check for leaks, re-install them back on the bike, then go to clean up and see one of those little brass washers that SHOULD be sitting under one of the main jets.. or one of those little keepers that hold the needle valve seat in place on the later carbs laying there. I've made the determination to just drink lots of beer while I do carbs. Those mistakes have happened stone-cold sober, so at least drinking, I'll have some sort of excuse!
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Nope.. not me! BUT.. I have heard that a bike will run like crap and only get @ 15 MPG riding home if you forget to tighten the pilot jets all the way and one falls out into the bowl while you're riding. So I've heard...

Glad it was an easy enough fix. What absolutely drives me bonkers is when I clean the carbs, check for leaks, re-install them back on the bike, then go to clean up and see one of those little brass washers that SHOULD be sitting under one of the main jets.. or one of those little keepers that hold the needle valve seat in place on the later carbs laying there. I've made the determination to just drink lots of beer while I do carbs. Those mistakes have happened stone-cold sober, so at least drinking, I'll have some sort of excuse!
                  I'll use that one when I need to !
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                  80 XS 1100 SG
                  81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                  https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                  AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    you forget to tighten the pilot jets all the way and one falls out into the bowl while you're riding. So I've heard...
                    I've made the determination to just drink lots of beer while I do carbs. Those mistakes have happened stone-cold sober, so at least drinking, I'll have some sort of excuse!
                    I have done this before and I agree with your summation!
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Battle of Wills Continues.

So made up a jury-rigged setup today; gas tank on garbage can, carbs sitting below it on little stand. I had previously taken the offending carb bowl off and found the float a bit sticky, so cleaned/polished/honed/threatened the float pin and float and put it together. Hooked up the gas line to the bank of carbs on my jury rigged setup and turned it to on. Walked away for a few minutes and came back. ALL WAS GOOD ! Decided to leave it for 1/2 hr and then check again. &*^&*%!!!!! carb on the OTHER END now is dripping!!! WTF!!! So I emptied that carb of gas, shook that bank of carbs up and down a few to wiggle those floats and seats, then did it again with plenty of love taps on the offending carb (No. 4). It sat for 10 minutes with full gravity feed, with the tank way above the carbs at the height of a garbage can which gives it lots more gravity pressure than it would normally get. So far so good. After the 10 minutes I turned it to off and no leaks yet. If it was going to leak it would be with it set to on. I am hopeful, but you know these Japanese Wills of Iron. No surrender from them. Bastards.

Comment

If it helps you feel any better, years ago I cleaned the carbs on my current SH, did the bench test (leave bowls off, hook up gas with them upside down on the bench) no leaks. Put the bowls on, turn them right side up, hook up fuel wait ten minutes or so, no leaks. I'm golden, load them in the bike, turn on the fuel, I got two of them pissing gas everywhere.

Took them apart, clean them up, some black specs in the needle seats. Rerun all the test, no problems, mount the carbs, two more leaking.

So now I am ready to roll this thing down the hill and set it on fire. Third time is not a charm, repeat of the issue.

Finally, I figured it out, the auto style fuel lines I was using had the soft rubber core which got rubbed off on the fuel Ts and put small specs of rubber into the needle valves.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

I can totally relate to the roll it down the hill and set it on fire part.

Comment

Filters

Don't forget the inline filters so you don't get any of those black specs that make the carbs leak...
                            1980G Standard, Restored
                            Kerker 4 - 1
                            850 Rear End Mod
                            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                            Automatic CCT
                            1980GH Special, Restored
                            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Those pesky little spring loaded ends on the jets

Well No 4 started dripping again, so I took the float out and looked at the seat and jet one more time. THAT is when I noticed the little springloaded end on the jet was stuck in with gummed up old fuel. So much for meticulous cleaning, although it is easy to miss. Took a 32 cal. pistol shell, set the jet in it unpside down so the nitrile tip wouldn't be in the carb cleaner, and let it soak overnight. Came out this AM and the little spring loaded plunger popped out and is now working properly. Put the carb back together and fired the bike up. So far so good. Boy does she run sweet, and that is with just a bench synch with a wire feeler gauge. Sitting idling beautifully at 1050-1100 rpm with that great XS lope. Chokes work great too. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X