Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCT Woes

Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting here and you all seem to be pretty knowledgeable so I'm pretty sure someone here will be able to help. Here's the run down:

My 81 XS1100S had the CCT leak out of the front plastic cap and i was tired of looking at the oil spots under my bike after each ride. Looking on here, I found that the fix was as simple as pulling the CCT off, sealing it with the liquid gasket of my choice (Three Bond is what I went with), putting it back on and follow the procedure to re-adjust tension.

Everything went smoothly until after my first ride. There was no oil, but my cam chain was rattling around. I rode it back home with it rattling like a coffee can of loose change each time I had to stop and decided to tackle it the next day. My belief was I did not adjust the tensioner right.

Next day I get back out there, line up the timing plate, loosen the lock nut, loosen the keeper bolt and nothing noticeable happens. No sound, no nothing. Thinking maybe the plunger moved just slighty in, I retightened, turned the crank over a few times, and started up. No cam noise. Went for a ride, came to a stop, and the chain was rattling again. Went home, waited for it to cool, pulled the CCT off and noticed what looked like the plunger was slipping.

Thinking I stripped the bolt or something (and then really stripping it after tinkering some more), I decided to go for the ACCT option. I got one from a Raptor 660, and went through the installation process again. However, when I was installing the spring, the plunger (which I pushed in all the way) did not make the ratcheting sound I thought I was supposed to hear.

I turned it over by hand, everything seemed fine, stared it up, everything seemed fine, went for a ride and once the engine was good and warm the rattling sound came back.

I am now at a loss. I tried taking the spring back out and pushing the plunger in from the outside and I barely got one click out of it, so it is definitely against the chain guides. Could the guides be hanging up somewhere preventing them from applying adequate tension? Why is the noise coming only when the engine is warm? I thought maybe it's just time to replace the chain, but wouldn't it have been making noise before I took off the original CCT?

Thank you for any help with this one. Between this and the sticking brakes on my XS850S, I'm going nuts with no way to ride!

-Mike
    81 SH

Doesnt sound like it could be the cam chain from your description... any chance you could capture the sound and post a short vid clip?

I'd tell ya that if your chain was lose enough to make that kind of noise it would have jumped sprocket already and wrecked valves... someone might prove we wrong though.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

It really helps to know what is going on with the chain tension by taking off the valve cover. Pull up on the top center of the chain and you should have about 1/4" of slack if the tensioner is properly adjusted.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I'll see what I can do about checking chain tension and getting an audio or video recording of what's going on, but it may take a couple days - class and work don't allow a lot of spare time. Thanks for the input, guys.
        81 SH

Comment

Originally posted by metdrummer View Post
          I'll see what I can do about checking chain tension and getting an audio or video recording of what's going on, but it may take a couple days - class and work don't allow a lot of spare time. Thanks for the input, guys.
          The tensioner IS your problem! It's a poor excuse for a set-bolt, and will NOT hold. Several yrs. ago had the same issue. Set it, and all it took to shove it back in its previous position was a quick 2K rev on centerstand. Need to replace that with one of the many self tensions that are plug-n-play. If the stock tensioner was holding, until you found one the oil leak can easily be resolved with a plastic cap and hose clamp till you get a self tensioner. Another thing that happens at times using the stock tensioner is when the set bolt is tightened down against flat of shaft, the marks left allow it to 'walk' back to where it was. Temporarily what you might do is remove tensioner(don't forget to follow setting procedure), holding shaft so's it don't go hide somewhere, remove the bolt all the way which will shoot the shaft out since under spring pressure, and file the flat portion of shaft smooth, removing previous marks. Put it back together with tensioner held back with loc-bolt, re-install releasing tensioner shaft and see what happens. That's just temp. till getting a self tensioner. Just for safety sake, U might wanna remove valve cover and watch that everything doesn't move when removing/installing tensioner.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            ... That's just temp. till getting a self tensioner. Just for safety sake, U might wanna remove valve cover and watch that everything doesn't move when removing/installing tensioner.
            He said he did install a self tensioner. READ the entire post lol
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I suggest taking the valve cover off as was mentioned earlier. Then you can visually check the chain tension and verify that is the noise. And, you can somewhat look down the chain tunnel and see if anything may have come apart.

Also, I had a similar problem when I first got the SG and it ended up being loose bolts in the cam bearing caps. Didn't rattle until it warmed up.

Just sayin'
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

At least you did not bend all your intake valves like I did installing an ACCT, lol.
                1979 XS1100F
                2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

So I made some time this afternoon to work on the bike. Here's the lo-down:

1: Removed cam cover and checked chain tightness: like a drum. No slack so that tells me the ACCT is doing it's job.

2: While in there I checked the torque on all the cam shaft bolts and timing marks. Everything is 5X5.

3: Took a video of everything after I got it buttoned up again. Sound is the same except now it begins as soon as I start the bike. Video can be found here (Warning: I am no cinematographer! lol): http://youtu.be/5FVf5QBsSkY

Could this be valve shim noise? I doubt that would have such a quick onset. Not to mention I didn't notice any sound before I originally took off the CCT.

Thank you, everyone, for your help.
                  81 SH

Comment

Have you checked really good for an exhaust leak or for an internal exhaust pipe rattle.

Those down pipes are double walled and can break on the inside and rattle. Your noise sounds exhaust related in that vid. On the right hand side.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I've had that noise before on my Triple, and it was the CCT. I'd suggest u try a different ACCT and see if it fixes the issue. Plus, I would not run that bike any further till u get the issue resolved. Any slack on that chain, etc., and u'll find yourself in my shoes.
                      1979 XS1100F
                      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

What I was hearing is more of a scraping or sliding issue than a slapping issue. If I was hearing it correctly. To me is sounds like there is some misalignment of the chain guide somewhere.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Noise

I'd check the exhaust bolts as well as making sure your intake boot nipples are in good shape not cracked or leaking, just for good measure. I agree with dgxser that it sounds like a scrape not a slap. Alignment or wear on the rubber of the guide and bridge between the sprockets perhaps. How many miles in the motor? Did you look at the sprockets themselves for wear? The shims make a ticking sound when properly adjusted but as Steve will chime in I'm sure. The 80/81's shim tolerance was lowered to to reduce the clicking sound. Check them anyway but at this time, that isn't the problem your chasing.
                          mack
                          79 XS 1100 SF Special
                          HERMES
                          original owner
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                          SPICA
                          http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                          IOTA
                          https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                          https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                          Frankford, Ont, Canada
                          613-398-6186

Comment

Yes, that sounds abnormal.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

CCT Guide

Not sure if this will be of use to you, but have a look anyway.

mack
                              79 XS 1100 SF Special
                              HERMES
                              original owner
                              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                              SPICA
                              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                              IOTA
                              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                              Frankford, Ont, Canada
                              613-398-6186

Comment

Working...
                              X