Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heads off, removed offending valve, - it's bent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads off, removed offending valve, - it's bent.

Don't ask me how, I have NO idea other than when I was tapping on it to see what was up, I pinged it off the piston. There is no marks on the piston, the seat looks perfect, but the valve is done. I need a new/used intake valve so have a couple of questions.
    1) When you buy a new valve, is it already ground for the seat?
    2) Will a used intake valve suffice if someone has one and I lap it into the seat?
    3) Does Satan exist and he's now getting back at me for burning all those ants with a magnifying glass when I was a kid???
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

To answer your questions.
    1) sort of / mostly
    2) Yes
    3) Maybe

Sorry to hear about your 'mishap'.
    Luckily the intakes are easier to get than the exhausts.
    Used ones are okay AS LONG AS they are straight also.
    With either a new one, or used, lap it in and check for 360 deg coverage.

I put a new exhaust valve in my G about 2 years ago. Got it online for about $30. I'll try to find the site again. I think it was a Versah valve.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

Thanks George, I've been surfing a bit, and found a genuine Yam valve at partzilla.com for 19 bucks. I think that's pretty good. Don't know what shipping to Canaduh will be, but prob more than the valve.
      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

I don't remember, was it an intake, or an exhaust valve?

The valves are different sizes from a 78-79 and a 80 -81. Be sure you get the right one.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Here's the place I got mine: (cycle-re-cycle)
          http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/mo...ts/valves.html

$17.95 for an intake.

Form there site: "
          Canadian Sales

We offer US Postal Air mail (3-7 days) to Canada. Very heavy orders over (30lbs) made online may require a re-quote on shipping due to multiple boxes. Usually this means savings for you due to the high price of heavy Air mail packages. Usually it is rare to exceed this amount in a normal order. Usually it is rare to exceed this amount in a normal order. Also see Overseas or NON-USA Shipping"
          Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
          The Green Monster
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
          Got him in '04.
          bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
          Scarlet
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
          Got her in '11
          Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
          Hugo
          Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
          Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            I don't remember, was it an intake, or an exhaust valve?

The valves are different sizes from a 78-79 and a 80 -81. Be sure you get the right one.
            It's an intake for a 80 SG Special, didn't know they were different sizes for different years. Gonna check this out right now!

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
              Here's the place I got mine: (cycle-re-cycle)
              http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/mo...ts/valves.html

$17.95 for an intake.

Form there site: "
              Canadian Sales

We offer US Postal Air mail (3-7 days) to Canada. Very heavy orders over (30lbs) made online may require a re-quote on shipping due to multiple boxes. Usually this means savings for you due to the high price of heavy Air mail packages. Usually it is rare to exceed this amount in a normal order. Usually it is rare to exceed this amount in a normal order. Also see Overseas or NON-USA Shipping"
              Thanks George I will check out their shipping cost. The valve was $19 and change from partzilla, but the shipping was 29!!!!

Comment

How did it get bent, please.

Are these thing really delicate !

Glad I had my 79 for 56K and no problems.

Now my 81 ?

Thank You ! Don };~)
                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                80 XS650 G Special II
                https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                80 XS 1100 SG
                81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

The exhaust valves are the same throughout the models, but the intakes were changed in 1980.

1. Umm no, the seat is in your engine, so it will need to be lapped in to match the two together.

2. Yep, if it from a 1980 or 1981. not sure on the XJ valves.

3. This is a trick two part question...Part A is yes, definitely, I know as he has taken over my 16 yo son for the time being. Part B, if that is true then I am in for a major engine explosion some time soon!! Ants, how about seeing if it will burnt he fur off the neighbors cat? ( I always figured I was securing my place in heaven with that, cats are THE DEVIL). (Think Waterboy)
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Court, I'll send you a used intake valve from a 1980 standard head for the cost of shipping, if you PM me with an affirmative and an addy.
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      not sure on the XJ valves.
                      Except for the YICS ports, XJ heads ar the same as the 80 - 81 XS heads. I should have included them when I posted before.
                      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        The exhaust valves are the same throughout the models, but the intakes were changed in 1980.
                        Nope, the exhausts were larger too. The intakes went from 36mm (78-79) to 38mm (80-82), the exhaust got bumped from 31 to 32mm along with the intakes.

And before anyone asks, no, you can't install the larger valves in the early head as the chamber shape is different and the late valve stems will be too short...
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I noticed on that site that GLoweVA posted for valves that it doesn't list an exhaust valve for the early heads.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Pretty sure those early exhaust valves are NLA by any aftermarket companies and whatever was left over is now gone. The 750 and 850 use the same valves BTW.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
                              Court, I'll send you a used intake valve from a 1980 standard head for the cost of shipping, if you PM me with an affirmative and an addy.
                              PM sent senor!!! I'm SOL up here, it's not listed at all in the Canadian Yam dealers either. They told me it comes up NLA.

Comment

Working...
                              X