Special Carbs on a Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Carbs on a Standard?

I found a set of carbs from a Special. I'd like to get them for my Standard. Will they bolt up? Minimal difficulty in the swap? I've read they should have less tee vents since the vents on Special are run through carb inlet housing, is that correct? Thanks for the help!
    1978 XS 1100...complete basket case = time and money!

Originally posted by XSive-11 View Post
    I found a set of carbs from a Special. I'd like to get them for my Standard. Will they bolt up? Minimal difficulty in the swap? I've read they should have less tee vents since the vents on Special are run through carb inlet housing, is that correct? Thanks for the help!
    Hi Lee,
    AFAIK any year or model XS11 carb rack will fit on any XS11.
    Be sure to plumb and jet them up according to the carb rack's year and model, NOT the bike's.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I found a set of carbs from a Special. I'd like to get them for my Standard. Will they bolt up? Minimal difficulty in the swap?
      Yes, there is no difference in carb mounting from Special to Standard, or year to year. Jetting and such can vary.

I've read they should have less tee vents since the vents on Special are run through carb inlet housing, is that correct? Thanks for the help!
      You have a couple issues combined here. The Special tank petcocks have no vaccum valve internal to them, this is why they use the OCTY vacuum valve. The Standard models have a vacuum valve built into each petcock.

The 1978 and 1979 model carbs used an external vent from the fuel bowl. There are separate Ts that operate as vents for the bowls. They are directly above the fuel inlet Ts. The 80-81 and XJ model carbs have an internal vent for the fuel bowl. If you look at the inlet bell, the 78-79 model has three holes in the inlet bell, the 80-81s have four holes, the added one is the bowl vent.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Working...
      X