First time working on multiple carbs on the Trashboat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    You need to unclip those wires and check them all better. If one is broken others most likely are too.
    I did, I unbent the holders, freeing all the wires, tugged each one.

Only the one had a break.
    79F
    "Excelsior"
    Honda gl1100 handlebar
    Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
    OE headers,Jardine slipons
    Hid headlight 6000k
    Stock jets
    Shinko 712 F & R
    Oe hardbags and luggage rack
    TC fuse block
    K&n filter with oe airbox
    Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

• Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Did you check that mechanical advance unit under the left ignition cover. The weights and springs can freeze up from sitting, keeping the timing from fully advancing at higher RPM, JAT
      +1...........that advance unit along with the pick-up coils and wires is bout the most overlooked component on the bike as far as running correctly IMO.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• It wasn't frozen at all. And the vacuum actuator would hold vacuum as well when I tested it.
        79F
        "Excelsior"
        Honda gl1100 handlebar
        Hid headlight 6000k
        Stock jets
        Shinko 712 F & R
        TC fuse block
        Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

• Maybe some holes in the carb diaphrams, JAT

Do you have the correct TCI box, should have 2H7 stamped on it.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

• I dunno about the tci box... old like the bike, I'd call it original, but I can't exactly know for sure without looking at it.

The carb diaphragms did have some pin holes in them
            I patched Em up, but I forget what I used... I remembered reading a fix on the forum. If I remember right the pin holes just wouldn't make it run as smooth as it can though, not stop at 5k and start trying to implode.

The main reason I took it to the shop, I ran into three people at a party I threw for a friend, all three owned XS's at a point in their lives and all three took them to the same place they recommended. Said the guys know the XS series of bike pretty darn well.

So I figured what can it hurt ( besides my wallet)
            Last edited by sparkfly88; 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM.
            79F
            "Excelsior"
            Honda gl1100 handlebar
            Hid headlight 6000k
            Stock jets
            Shinko 712 F & R
            TC fuse block
            Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

• My friend went to the shop today to pick up some saddlebags he bought, and he went for a ride following the Tech who was test riding my bike. Brought along the GOpro with him as well.

His vlx650 couldnt keep up to my xs1100 AT ALL it is an absolute monster.

The tech told me he let the carbs soak all weekend long, then used some sorta wire tool to clean every single passageway.
              Told me no. 4 carb butterfly is sticking a little bit and hes gonna change all the seals on the butterflies.

It runs like a total BEAST now, and the total price is at 280$ so far, which IMO is a little bit much, considering I took em apart 3 times and wouldnt call that 280$ worth of labor....but hey, it runs, and I'm thrilled about it.
              Video will be posted in a minute or two, keep watching for it to process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBHw7...ature=youtu.be
              79F
              "Excelsior"
              Honda gl1100 handlebar
              Hid headlight 6000k
              Stock jets
              Shinko 712 F & R
              TC fuse block
              Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

• My first go was about 300 bucks to let a mechanic do exactly what you say. I rode it for a bit and noticed the bike was idling high or hanging. As I bought that bike from new I knew it was not correct. Rode it a couple of days and took it back to be adjusted.
                Second 300 bucks later and I was still not running right and I was getting a bit perturbed but I took it back so he could do it again.
                200 more bucks and I was furious that the damn thing did not run right. I went back and he explained how he did all this work and he had it done on a dyno with all the latest gadgets and gizmoes and that it was absolutely correct.
                Now 800 bucks spent in total on the carbs alone I decided to look on the internet and see what I could find.
                I am now and forever more, a happy dude that I found this site. I learned all he had done wrong and why my bike ran the way it did. With the help of other forum members I got it running really sweet. At the moment there are 5 XS11's sitting in my driveway and only one needs carb attention. Will I be paying some dude to fix it?
                I am not trying to knock your mechanic at all but please learn how to do it yourself as you will change things from time to time that need synching or tuning. You do not want to spend that cash every time.
                I would like to point out to any lurker that the knowledge here is very very good and best thing to do is join the forum so you can ask questions. I would also like to point out that the savings anyone made by doing it yourself are wisely spent by making a donation to the site, if you gained knowledge from it.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

• Well, it does seem like you found someone who knows what they are doing. Glad it will be a fine running beast for you.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

• Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                    My first go was about 300 bucks to let a mechanic do exactly what you say. I rode it for a bit and noticed the bike was idling high or hanging. As I bought that bike from new I knew it was not correct. Rode it a couple of days and took it back to be adjusted.
                    Second 300 bucks later and I was still not running right and I was getting a bit perturbed but I took it back so he could do it again.
                    200 more bucks and I was furious that the damn thing did not run right. I went back and he explained how he did all this work and he had it done on a dyno with all the latest gadgets and gizmoes and that it was absolutely correct.
                    Now 800 bucks spent in total on the carbs alone I decided to look on the internet and see what I could find.
                    I am now and forever more, a happy dude that I found this site. I learned all he had done wrong and why my bike ran the way it did. With the help of other forum members I got it running really sweet. At the moment there are 5 XS11's sitting in my driveway and only one needs carb attention. Will I be paying some dude to fix it?
                    I am not trying to knock your mechanic at all but please learn how to do it yourself as you will change things from time to time that need synching or tuning. You do not want to spend that cash every time.
                    I would like to point out to any lurker that the knowledge here is very very good and best thing to do is join the forum so you can ask questions. I would also like to point out that the savings anyone made by doing it yourself are wisely spent by making a donation to the site, if you gained knowledge from it.

Why did you keep dropping money into it if it wasnt right in the first place?
                    If I get it back any anything is still out of wack, it's going right back for them to fix, FREE.

I told them to not worry about anything else on the bike, just make the engine RUN like it should.
                    79F
                    "Excelsior"
                    Honda gl1100 handlebar
                    Hid headlight 6000k
                    Stock jets
                    Shinko 712 F & R
                    TC fuse block
                    Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

• Well, I just got it back today.

All day it ran great, I put 53 or so miles on it, then when I went to ride home all hell broke loose on it.

It goes past 5k no problem, but it wont cruise at all!!
                      Starts missing, backfireing...w/e

Ontop of that, they removed the detent balls on the choke lever of my carbs, and put a spring on it, so it snaps back...wtf
                      79F
                      "Excelsior"
                      Honda gl1100 handlebar
                      Hid headlight 6000k
                      Stock jets
                      Shinko 712 F & R
                      TC fuse block
                      Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

• Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
                        Why did you keep dropping money into it if it wasnt right in the first place?
                        If I get it back any anything is still out of wack, it's going right back for them to fix, FREE.

I told them to not worry about anything else on the bike, just make the engine RUN like it should.
                        I did it because I knew no better and the guy would not work on them for free after he did all the dyno tuning etc. You may find it hard to get them to do adjustments for free as well but you live in a different place than I do so I hope you have better luck.
                        2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

• Well they admitted to loosing the springs for the detent balls....

And they concur with me that there is still something wrong with it and they brought it right back into the shop to be worked on.
                          Now I sit and wait.
                          79F
                          "Excelsior"
                          Honda gl1100 handlebar
                          Hid headlight 6000k
                          Stock jets
                          Shinko 712 F & R
                          TC fuse block
                          Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

• Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
                            Well they admitted to loosing the springs for the detent balls....

And they concur with me that there is still something wrong with it and they brought it right back into the shop to be worked on.
                            Now I sit and wait.
                            Well, if they loose parts they better find replacements and not just rig something up....
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

• In suspense

As I have been dinking around with my carbs I have found this post and have been following your progress. I am very curious as to how this turns out for you. So please let us know how things turn out. Good luck.
                              Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

• Well, we ended up running out of time, so I took it to a shop.

They ended up getting it all sorted out.

The only problem I ended up having was my number 3 float getting stuck in ohio.

I changed exhausts since their work, so It feels rich, I ordered a colortune to really dial in the mixture.

I'll update with videos of the process.

I plan to use my Gopro HERO black and record the whole process of colortuning and syncing.
                                79F
                                "Excelsior"
                                Honda gl1100 handlebar
                                Hid headlight 6000k
                                Stock jets
                                Shinko 712 F & R
                                TC fuse block
                                Raptor 660 Acct