Multiple electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple electrical problems

Hey everyone. Will try to keep short, but must explain situation. Have '80G with fairing and bags. All lights were working perfectly. Man pulled fron garage, low speed impact with T/Pole. Ruined front fairing, bent handlebar on left side at light switch area and wiring harness area near switch. Found and purchased Yamaha Pacifico factory fairing.

Ok, problems I have. 1. Installed fairing, headlight and aftermarket installed led lights (mounted on lower L & R corners of fairing above lowers mounting holes) inop even with bike running.(H/light was inop immed. after accident,figured broken bulb.) Replaced w/new bulb, no headlights. Running lights work fine. 2. All t/signals work, but front signals flash opposite of switch, turn L/side on and Right signal flashes and vice versa. Rears flash correctly. 3. When put brake on, signals stop flashing and go solid. 4. When warming bike up with choke or revving RPM's, small puffs of smoke at front of intake boots where it meets the engine.

Sorry so long, any help greatly appreciated. ( I do have nice colored wiring diagram, but all looks greek to me. I do have electronic multi tester if that helps me.) Thank You everyone for any help.

P.S. Have NOT replaced bars
    Last edited by dschmitta; 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM. Reason: forgot
    1980 xs1100g

Bummer about the 'close encounter'.....

Ok, wiring issues. The LED lights are polarity-sensitive, 'standard' lamps aren't. Make sure the ground and hot wires to the lamps are correct; try swapping them to see if that will clear that issue.

Headlight? If you have damage at the left-side switch, make sure power is coming out of it on the green (low beam) and yellow (high) wires; the plug for this is under the tank on the same side as the switch. Still no light? Do you have instrument lights? If not, look at your headlight relay (the bike is running when checking, right?). Got instrument lights? Then it's probably the reserve lighting unit. Check/clean all these connections.

Turn signals? Again, some swapped wires. Make sure you have the grounds connected to the lamp shells, not the filaments. If you pull the left lamp and the right side stops working or vice-versa, that's your problem. The flashers stopping flashing when applying the brake is either poor connections or low battery voltage.

Puffs at the intake boots? Bad gaskets most likely; remove and reseal with Yamabond or silicon. You do have the caps on the vacuum ports, right?
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35339

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Instrument lights work fine. will try swapping wires for LED's. Will check green and yellow for power. Since I have instrument lights, will check reserve lighting unit. will check grounds and pull lamp. Will check voltage and connections for battery and seal boots. Will use the thread u sent to help me. Should bike be running while I check these connections? Will puffs of smoke possibly catch fire while running to check connections? I know, what a PITA. Thanks for info, update what I find
        1980 xs1100g

Comment

Originally posted by dschmitta View Post
          Should bike be running while I check these connections? Will puffs of smoke possibly catch fire while running to check connections? I know, what a PITA. Thanks for info, update what I find
          The bike shouldn't need to be running, but you may need to start it to latch the headlight relay in. If you get low/no voltage somewhere, I'd check connections with power off and look for ohm values.

The 'puffs' shouldn't hurt anything, but does need to be fixed....

'82 XJ rebuild project
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

electrical

Will try to get u more info tomorrow, been raining hard for days. Also, will try to send some good pics for ya. Also, the factory cig lighter isn't even hooked up, just bare contacts
            1980 xs1100g

Comment

getting real frustrated. have been checking all wiring for days. just about ready to jumper the unit so I can ride. e/thing works except light. checked about everything I can think mof or see. any ideas. Do u know how to do bypass without ruining bike? Thanks

p.s. Getting fed up fast. everthing seems tight and working up to reserve unit. I just wanna ride.
              Last edited by dschmitta; 04-18-2013, 09:12 PM.
              1980 xs1100g

Comment

After reading this thread and after posting on the other thread about your question, I agree with Steve to check the handlebar switch for the High/Low beam switch. If the dash light (gauges) light up, then the relay is working, but if the headlight isn't then it's gotta be somewhere in between.
                Basically from the headlight relay thru the hi/lo switch thru the headlight plug to the fairing harness thru to the headlight.
                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.
                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                Scarlet
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                Hugo
                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                Cold weather ride

Comment

George is right; if the gauge lights are coming on, the headlight relay is working. So the problem will be in either the reserve lighting unit, the handlebar dimmer switch, or the wiring between these parts and the headlight. Check for voltage to the RLU on the blue/black wire from the relay. No voltage? There's the problem. Have voltage? Then check the blue/yellow wire coming out of the RLU for voltage. If this wire has voltage on it, the problem is in the dimmer switch/wiring to the light. No voltage? Then the RLU is defective or has poor connections. If you can rule out connections, then unplugging the RLU and tying the blue/black and blue/yellow wires at the RLU together will bypass the RLU and the light should work. If it still doesn't work, then the dimmer switch, light, or wiring to the light is bad...

With the fairing, make sure you have a good ground connection; no or poor ground and the light will not work...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Yeah Steve, I forgot about the RLU.
                    If the RLU was good, and his problem were elsewhere, wouldn't the RLU show the 'warning light' on the dash if his low beam wasn't getting power like it should?
                    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                    The Green Monster
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                    Got him in '04.
                    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                    Scarlet
                    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                    Got her in '11
                    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                    Hugo
                    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                    Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                      If the RLU was good, and his problem were elsewhere, wouldn't the RLU show the 'warning light' on the dash if his low beam wasn't getting power like it should?
                      It should, but that assumes the warning light is working and it's connections are good.... which is unknown at this point.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Not beaten yet!

thanks for all info. I will definately check e/thing in order. Was really frustrated last night, but I'm not beaten yet! Now it's personal, and I will find problem. /thanks again
                        1980 xs1100g

Comment

The main thing when checking electrical is be methodical! Start at the last point you know you have power and check going towards the non-functioning part. And don't assume it's only one thing wrong; many times an electrical failure can cause multiple component/connection failures so check everything until the problem is cleared. Even then, it sometimes pays to keep looking to make sure there isn't other damage that might show up later....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

new gremlins

thought i had her figured out, didn't. now what's going on is R/turn is blinking when engaged at handlebar as it should. L/turn signal is not blinking at all and dash signal indicator is on solid, even when signal isn't engaged? Now bike isn't charging. Went for ride and once batt used up, shut off. Slow charged fully battery and had cells checked, good. Started bike, showed 11.6 voltage at idle and same 11.6 at 3,4,5k. Any ideas? Thanks

P.S. The high beam indicator light also stays on, even when on low beam. It's not as bright, but it's definately there
                            Last edited by dschmitta; 08-03-2013, 12:34 PM. Reason: forgot item
                            1980 xs1100g

Comment

The left signal not blinking is probably poor connections. The turn indicator and high beam lights could be a bad ground in the headlight shell. The charging system is probably also poor connections.

I know this can be frustrating, but the best way to deal with it is go through each system, each and every connection, making sure it goes where it's supposed to and the connections are clean and conducting through them with little or no resistance.

Again, be methodical.....

'82 XJ rebuild project
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                              X