exhaust wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust wrap

i am trying to do some finishing touches on my bike, and one of the things that i didnt really do anything with was the exhaust. so i have finally made up my mind on what i want to do. i am going to wrap it with a white exhaust wrap and have chrome turnout tips. and for those that know what i have done with my bike i have ordered baffles as well. i was just wondering if anyone on here has used exhaust wrap. i will post pics as soon as i begin. all i have left to get are the new nuts for the exhaust flanges, mine are in pretty rough shape. then i can get started. as with everything that i have done to my bike, i have done all my research and know what i have to do to do the warp. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Wrap

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
    i am trying to do some finishing touches on my bike, and one of the things that i didnt really do anything with was the exhaust. so i have finally made up my mind on what i want to do. i am going to wrap it with a white exhaust wrap and have chrome turnout tips. and for those that know what i have done with my bike i have ordered baffles as well. i was just wondering if anyone on here has used exhaust wrap. i will post pics as soon as i begin. all i have left to get are the new nuts for the exhaust flanges, mine are in pretty rough shape. then i can get started. as with everything that i have done to my bike, i have done all my research and know what i have to do to do the warp. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    One of the +'s is insalation, the down side is the burn in is very stinky I have not used them myself, but have read of those who have. They keep the heat inside the exaust and off your legs, nice, but in an air colled motor, the faster the heat can escape the motor the better JIMHO, but I still hope many others here will pipe up with why I am "WRONG" and we can start "measuring Johnsons" again, oh what fun
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

That wrap pertains to the racers world and has more to do with holding heat in CERTAIN exhaust designs for scavenging effects. Secondly, I notice your location and with those exhaust wrapped, they'll rust under the wrap from drawing moisture when cooling off..I could give you a whole bunch of downside reason not too. Better to fine sand them and paint with a HIGH quality heat paint if too strapped for the bucks to have them powder coated.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

looks

Originally posted by motoman View Post
        That wrap pertains to the racers world and has more to do with holding heat in CERTAIN exhaust designs for scavenging effects. Secondly, I notice your location and with those exhaust wrapped, they'll rust under the wrap from drawing moisture when cooling off..I could give you a whole bunch of downside reason not too. Better to fine sand them and paint with a HIGH quality heat paint if too strapped for the bucks to have them powder coated.
        I'm doing the wrap for looks, to go with the style a bike that I made. I was thinking about painting them with high heat paint, then wrapping them. Would this work or would it affect anything.
        xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

I used to wrap the headers on my Hi-Per VW engines (air-cooled Bug) knowing they would rust to crap within 1 year up here in B.C. Because they were S&S thin-wall headers they weren't expensive to replace so it was a tradeoff to keep the heat down in the engine compartment. The wrap seemed to cause condensation/moisture under it, and really encouraged rusting. If I didn't wrap the headers, they lasted way way longer.
          Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

I warped the pipes on the 79 Special that I built last year. I used Lava Wrap, it's easier to work with and lasts longer than the fiberglass stuff.

Ride safe,
            Larry
            Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
            82 XJ1100
            80 XS1100G (Project bike)
            64 Yamaha YA-6
            77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
            See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Nice job indeed.
              Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
                I warped the pipes on the 79 Special that I built last year. I used Lava Wrap, it's easier to work with and lasts longer than the fiberglass stuff.
                Ride safe,
                Larry

Thats a sharp lookin bike!
                79F
                "Excelsior"
                Honda gl1100 handlebar
                Vetter IV fairing with speaker system
                OE headers,Jardine slipons
                Hid headlight 6000k
                Stock jets
                Shinko 712 F & R
                Oe hardbags and luggage rack
                TC fuse block
                K&n filter with oe airbox
                Raptor 660 Acct

Comment

To be honest I would check out a harley or forum for the best info on this subject. A lot of those guys use the wrap and have experience with installation. From what my buddy told me about his installation it is hard to get it tight enough to make a really nice job. The stink when starting the bike is really bad and the rust issue is why he no longer runs wrap.
                  Myself I have no experience with it and I have never been on a harley forum, but they do have a world full of members and many who are into choppers and wrapped exhaust and etc.
                  Not to say the guys here do not know about it, but you may get a better idea from a larger group. JAT
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I'm doing the wrap for looks, to go with the style a bike that I made. I was thinking about painting them with high heat paint, then wrapping them. Would this work or would it affect anything.
                    Ougha' be fine, just ride it a couple times prior to wrapping to 'set' the paint with a few heat and cool cycles.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                      To be honest I would check out a harley or forum for the best info on this subject. A lot of those guys use the wrap and have experience with installation. From what my buddy told me about his installation it is hard to get it tight enough to make a really nice job. The stink when starting the bike is really bad and the rust issue is why he no longer runs wrap.
                      Being a Harley owner too, I've been on various HD forums and yes, the wrap does stink when new and after getting wet and promotes rust under it. One thing to keep in mind, the tubing used on most XS exhaust systems isn't all that thick and rust-through could be a very real issue.
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

hi Nightengale,
                        If despite the warnings you want to wrap.
                        Soak the material in water and keep good tension on it as you wrap. You will need quite a lot as you overlap each turn. My experience was on 3 or 4 inch relatively straight pipes the tight curves are going to be more difficult. I always covered mine with Stainless tying wire which held it securely in place. Another option to consider is Ceramic coating. It comes in white and various other colours and looks nice too.
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

new exhaust tips

i was thinking of using the spray on coating for the wrap as well.
                          i just got in my exhaust tips in today, i am planning on wrapping the pipes up to the tip which starts around where the foot peg is.
                          tried the tips on for size, and to see how they look.

i like how they look. kind of hot rod looking.
                          xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Working...
                          X