Honda Coils Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Coils Modification

For those of you interested in coils with replaceable plug wires, good performance, and an easy fit on the XS1100, here is a brief how to for installing the Honda VF1000R coils. I want to give credit to the UK forum for documenting this mod years ago.
    First, these are 3 ohm coils, so if you have the 78-80 model bikes, you will need to remove the ballast resistor. Just pull the connectors out and plug the two connectors from the harness together.

Here is a close up of the coil with the part number stamped in it.

Next, remove the plug wires that came with the coils. Just unscrew the four caps.

You will need to pull pretty hard to get the caps off the old wires. When you do, you will see the seals inside the cap. The cap on the right in this photo shows the three components to the cap and its seal.

Let me make a clear notice here, before you go pulling wires from your existing coils, pay attention to which side coil feeds plugs 1 and 4, and which feeds plugs 2 and 3. Also note which coil is connected to the orange wire and which is connected to the grey wire. This will insure you get the right coil feeding the right cylinders when you reconnect the new coils.

Next is to make up some wires to connect the Honda coils to the factory harness. The connector I used at the coils is a ¼” female spade for 22-16 ga wire. I found a pack of about 25 at the local hardware store for $12.
    Now, the 78-80 models used bullet style connectors for all four wires. A double connector for both red/white wires, and one for the grey and another for the orange wire. The 81 models used a two wire plug connector. One connector has a red/white wire and a grey wire, the other has the red/white and the orange wire. Since this is an 80 model, you can see in this picture the bullet connector for the red/white connector and the installed ¼" spade connector. For the 81 model, I choose to cur the connector wires from the existing coils as I do not sell them or re-use them since they are questionable if I am replacing them.

You can also see in that picture the plug wires ready for installation in the coil. These in particular were already on the bike as it had been upgraded to the Mikes green coils before. I measure the length of wire needed to go form the number four plug to the left side coil front wire. This gives me the longest length required, and I cut all four wires that long. These had newer plug connectors, so I am reusing those.
    When I install the caps and seals on the “new” plug wires, I make sure there is plenty of exposed wire to push into the socket of the coil. These coils use a spike in the middle to poke into the wires core for the connection.

Just push the wire into the coil making sure you push it all the way onto the spike. Now push the seal down and tighten the cap onto the coil. Here is the coil ready to be installed.

On this bike, when the Mikes coils were installed the wires connecting to the orange and grey wires was put together using spade connectors, and the connectors were soldered together. So I had to add the ¼” female spade connector with it on the bike.

The mounting holes on the coils line up perfectly with the brackets on the XS11. You may find the bracket for the gas tank cover is a little wide. I just tightened the bolt to pull the tabs into the coils and then bent the bracket where the cover mounts out to compensate.
    It is a pretty simple modification. The coils are relatively easy to find for now and not very expensive, for now. I know the VF1000R used these coils, I believe some of the Magna line used them as well. I have not developed a full list of the Honda bikes that used the same coils.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

nice job on the tip
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I'm convinced now!
      Hopefully I won't be bidding against any of you guys on Ebay.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Just picked up a set on ebay for $43 shipped. Missing 1 plug wire tho. Who sells the screw on coil caps with the inserts? Will be making new wires with fresh NGK caps.
        1) Fire up Internet Explorer
        2) http://www.yahoo.com
        3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
        4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by Diskman01 View Post
          Just picked up a set on ebay for $43 shipped. Missing 1 plug wire tho. Who sells the screw on coil caps with the inserts? Will be making new wires with fresh NGK caps.
          Just surfing the Partzilla site and came across those very caps you're looking for:
          http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...OIL/parts.html

30501-428-003 CAP, SCREW $3.17
          30502-428-003 SEAL, RUBBER $1.09
          30503-428-003 WASHER, CAP $1.09

The Green Monster
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
          Got her in '11
          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
          Cold weather ride

Comment

I do not recall who I bought them before. George has the part numbers listed there. I just Google the part number and see who as them for a fair price.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I just paid for mine:

And I ordered a set of these to go with them:

SWMBO is gonna be mad, but I could be spending my(our) money on worse things!

The Green Monster
              Got him in '04.

Scarlet
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Just explain to her that these give much longer returns and much less risk of a lifelong disease or loss of apendages than many other alternative places you could spend the money.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                  Just surfing the Partzilla site and came across those very caps you're looking for:
                  http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...OIL/parts.html

30501-428-003 CAP, SCREW $3.17
                  30502-428-003 SEAL, RUBBER $1.09
                  30503-428-003 WASHER, CAP $1.09

Awesomesauce! Ordered!

Thanks!!
                  1) Fire up Internet Explorer
                  2) http://www.yahoo.com
                  3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
                  4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Will these fit the 80 special? Great find,thanks !Part # FW52-1R1,is that right? Eye's just aren't what they used to be.
                    FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                    1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                    1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

That is just the number on the coils from the MFG really. The Honda part no is 30510-MB0-703.

These coils work on any XS1100. AS noted, the way the wiring is set up on the 78-80 is similar to what I documented here. You will need to eliminate the ballast resistor.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Does anyone know what these Honda coils output voltage is?

My bike is running very good now with some deceleration popping in the exhaust, not backfiring. I was wondering if hotter coils would burn more of the gasses and stop the popping.

I was bidding on a set of used dyna coils but didn't win them. If I am going to buy coils then I want hotter ones, not just 3 ohm replacements....

Just another comment, the last tank of gas I got 35 MPG!
                        79 XS11

Comment

These are about the same as factory coils. I measured them at about 15k ohms on the secondary. I got a lot of that popping on decel until I bumped my mains from 110s to 120s.

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Mounted mine today!

I've got pics too.

Here they are all ready to go. I cut the old primary wires off the old stock coils and crimped on new female spade connectors with some heat shrink for protection.

These coils are just a hair skinnier than the stock ones, but like DG said, the mounting holes line perfect.

They needed just a little plastic shaved off the end so the bolt would go thru the SG frame neck cover bracket.
                            Instead of DG's method, I put about 4 washers on the shaft to fill in the space between the frame and the coil.

I mounted them with the primary leads facing rear.
                            They wouldn't clear the frame neck bracket if they faced front.

Here you can see the secondary(spark plug) leads and how they don't interfere at all.

Here's a top view showing the how primarys run on either side of the tipover switch.
                            (also you can see that I removed the ballast resistor and plugged the 2 wires together)

Now, if you want to see what is under that cap...

Here you can see the 'stab/point' that penetrates into the wire.

Here's a pic with the screw cap and the rubber grommet and plastic cup washer.

I liked the fact that these wires are hard core and pretty stiff copper.
                            They have a rubber and a tough plastic covers.

Now All I've got to do now is wait for my 4 NGK caps to arrive and I can spark her back to life. !!!

The Green Monster
                            Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                            Got her in '11
                            Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                            Cold weather ride

Comment

Nice Pics George! Yeah, my primary wires face rearward as well.

Did you check the length on those two short wires? I found the stock ones were to short to reach both 2 and 3 plugs.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X