Some shots of my rattle can resto for collector plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That paint work looks awesome!!

One thing I do notice is your missing the YAMAHA emblem off the fork cover. Also a reflector off one of your shocks.

Your getting it there! Great work!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Rear shock disassembly??

Yes, I pulled the front fork cover emblem to touch it up, and Dave Hogue sent me a reflector for the shock which begs the question, "How do I disassemble the rear shock to put it on??? I know I have to take the top off, because no way will you turn that little nut with the rubber reflector holder in place!
      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
        Yes, I pulled the front fork cover emblem to touch it up, and Dave Hogue sent me a reflector for the shock which begs the question, "How do I disassemble the rear shock to put it on??? I know I have to take the top off, because no way will you turn that little nut with the rubber reflector holder in place!
        I made a spring compressor to disassemble rear shocks. There are units you can buy for about $40...

2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

The Progressive Suspension shock tool, pn 32-5508 works well for dis-assembly of the OEM shocks. I bought one for less than $30 because I'm not as ambitious as Phil.

Here are the instructions for use:
          http://www.progressivesuspension.com...Shock-Tool.pdf
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Looks pretty slick. I made two like Phil posted using his as a guide. I made a wooden one with four rods and a metal one with three rods. The four rod one works by far the best and it has to double capability of not hurting paint as much as the metal one I made will.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

So it works like a mcpherson strut compressor in a way. Ok assuming I compress the spring, where/how does it come apart? Snap ring? half collars? Anyone got a pic of one apart for the simple minded. Pretty *(&!! stupid I have to disassemble the whole shock in order to put a reflector on!
              Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Nice Paint

Man, Tom sure did a nice job on that tank and side pieces. I remember what they looked like before he got them.
                Phil
                1980 XS1100SG

Comment

So it works like a mcpherson strut compressor in a way. Ok assuming I compress the spring, where/how does it come apart? Snap ring? half collars? Anyone got a pic of one apart for the simple minded. Pretty *(&!! stupid I have to disassemble the whole shock in order to put a reflector on!
                  Like this, Courtney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rpZyddxVARc
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Ah, thanks Marty, so it IS half collars. Got it. Have it done by tomorrow evening.
                    Cheers!

Comment

Ah, thanks Marty, so it IS half collars. Got it. Have it done by tomorrow evening.
                      Cheers!

It may not have half collars, but once you compress the spring, you will have no trouble figuring out how to get it apart. After all, I did it!
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

That paint looks amazing,nice job.What a rip-off on insurance.I pay,I think,$54.00 a yr,with collision.Wait,your insurance pays all medical bills in an accident,right? Still very expensive.
                        FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                        1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                        1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Latest pics of my progress

Here I am a little farther along. I'll put the original picture in as well. As you can see, the sidecovers were all removed and buffed as was the grab rail, engine is painted except for valve cover which will be stripped and back to standard aluminum, have a set of buffed rear footpeg mounts to put on, remove the rear shocks to rebuild and put on reflectors, and going to paint the front fork legs aluminum color. Then it's put on the emblems, the new gloss black 4-1 header, carbs and airbox, and take some pics for the collector plates!

Comment

Looks awesome. Your doing some great work!
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

That paint job is simply gorgeous ...
                              Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
                              1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
                              2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
                              2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

Thanks Guys, cost me $50 dollars. . I taught the fellows daughter for two years, and they are a nice family. I think this was his way of saying thanks. Yesterday evening I pulled one shock, and its been sitting in Evaporust to get the rust flecks off the chrome top. After that, it'll be clearcoated in Rustoleum Engine Clear. BTW, that clearcoat likes to go on thick so you have to be careful. I heated it up along with the piece I was painting first so it sprays thin, and flows well on the piece. Worked much better since it's in the low 50's up here right now and I got runs the first time. Still chasing some demons, but it's coming along. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

Working...
                                X