Some shots of my rattle can resto for collector plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some shots of my rattle can resto for collector plates

Well here are a few shots along the way; LOTS more to do. Have to remove rear footpeg holders and strip them, have to strip front forks and valve cover, and clutch sidecover is coming off for stripping. Still have to do the front fork emblem back to chrome as well as rear shocks. Motor is coming along alright though, and rear diff is done. Am also rebuilding carbs at the same time, as well as replacing headlight etc etc. Here is a before pic, and where I'm at today. I would have NEVER painted it if I'd known I could get collector plates if it was stock!!

Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Sorry but I may have not paid enough attention. What year is this supposed to be. Looks like you have a long road if you are going back to original to me. I do have extra parts if you need them too.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

It's an 80SG. I have the special tank and side covers being painted right now. Don't happen to have a spare exhaust nut kicking around do you?
      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Just replied to your other post as i have several extras here. Describe or Pm a picture to me and I will see what I have extra.
        2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

looks like your gonna need a seat,bars,airbox,and exaust to make it original,plus the other things you mentioned.it look like your getting there though,good job.
          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
          1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Thx Cuda, yes I have the seat and airbox already. Just got the tank and sidecovers back from the bodyshop, will post them next. I'm using a Jardine 4-1 header which is allowed for the collector plates; you can have any upgrades that were available within 2 yrs of the bikes manufacture, so Jardine header is good. I also will say the fork brace, case guards, and handlebars were available as well, so I should be good. (I hope, after all it IS the gov't)

Comment

how much of a break do you guys get with collector plates?

Here in Arizona I licensed my bike with normal plates til June (4 months) for $14.54, and my insurance for the year was around $65. It's hard for me to imagine getting much of a break on cost from that...
              Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
              1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
              2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
              2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

Shots of my tank and sidecovers

Here they are in plain black. Amazing shine. Done as a favor for cost of supplies; $50.00 !!! And that required 3 dents getting fixed on the tank, and the sidecovers being stripped and smoothed out.

So stoked!!

Comment

Originally posted by Petersg_99 View Post
                  how much of a break do you guys get with collector plates?

Here in Arizona I licensed my bike with normal plates til June (4 months) for $14.54, and my insurance for the year was around $65. It's hard for me to imagine getting much of a break on cost from that...
                  My usual insurance is 110 a month! With collector plates it's 15 a month, so you can see the incentive!

Comment

Oh boy those are gorgeous...
                    Guy

Comment

Holy insurance policies Batman! That's outrageous. You're not 18 are you?

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                      My usual insurance is 110 a month! With collector plates it's 15 a month, so you can see the incentive!
                      Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                        Man you get ripped off unless you are paying for some heavy coverage. Here in Alberta it is 135 bucks a year for each of my bikes, but I am going to contact Blue Circle and see what they can do for me as they will insure one rider for many bikes. As I have a few bikes and am the only rider in the house it only makes sense to get a cheaper rate if I can.
                        2-79 XS1100 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Petersg_99 View Post
                          Holy insurance policies Batman! That's outrageous. You're not 18 are you?
                          I'm 42 years North of that age. I remember being 18 though, man what a good year that was! Met my wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                            Man you get ripped off unless you are paying for some heavy coverage. Here in Alberta it is 135 bucks a year for each of my bikes, but I am going to contact Blue Circle and see what they can do for me as they will insure one rider for many bikes. As I have a few bikes and am the only rider in the house it only makes sense to get a cheaper rate if I can.
                            Doug, that is basic coverage with 2Million liability, NO collision or theft. ICBC has us by the privates for sure! What a rip off.

Comment

Good god! Im paying $90 a year.
                              Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                              Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                              Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                              Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                              Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                              K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                              X