No announcement yet.

1982 XS1100???? What is this bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything aside, if the bike runs strong and has no exhaust system or transmission issues, and you think it is worth the money, it just might be the bike for you. Check it out closely and determine if any repairs are things that you would want to do. IMO that amount for asking price would need to be for a bike that needs nothing to be done to it (if it is $USD).
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Seller is a LIAR, I'd steer clear.
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

hi Coutney,
        I am with Skids on this one.$1600 is an OK price if it is in good running condition with all the pieces. However if the battery is more than a week old and likewise for the tires I would take off a couple of 100 $$
        and a couple more for a March sale.
        Phil
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Thanks guys, I have a perfectly good xs, I wanted one that would be easy to put collector plates on. This is NOT the one, so I'll be passing. I missed a really good one last week that was factory stock for 1000.
          Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

So,let me get this right,are you saying that the paint isn't original?
            FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
            1999 Vulcan classic-sold
            1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
              Thanks guys, I have a perfectly good xs, I wanted one that would be easy to put collector plates on. This is NOT the one, so I'll be passing. I missed a really good one last week that was factory stock for 1000.
              Hi Courtney,
              what's izzybizzy's rules on collector plates? Here in SK all that's needed to get antique registration is that the vehicle has to be at least 30 years old and that you have a car registered in the Province.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Your collector bike has to be factory stock in very good/excellent shape, at least 25yrs old, and you also have to have another vehicle as your everyday driver.
                Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

So the big question is, does the bureaucracy have someone there that is knowledgeable about what was and wasn't "stock"?
                  And does your bureaucracy prohibit cars from being painted a color other than the one it came from the factory with? Or mufflers, or tires, or etc?
                  Have you asked anyone about a clarification of the wording of the rule?
                  Seems that there is a lot of wiggle room in the rule as stated.
                  CZ

Comment

Do you have Historical plates in Canada? Here in Ohio at least, you can get collector plates or you can get historical. I have Collector plates on my 1984 Cutlass, and historical on my SH (SG is not registered).

For the Cutlass, I had to show we had "a sizable investment" in the car to make it "collectable", that was a one time thing. I also have to prove annually that I have an alternate vehicle as a daily driver.

For the Historical, I just needed to fill out the application and show it is over 25 years old. It is a one time fee of $10 IIRC for as long as I own it, no annual registration or fee. No dated tag on it. However, officially it is solely "used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, etc" and not for general transportation. But I consider parking it at a local parking lot exhibition. I certainly get plenty of looks when I get off and on it. Of course maybe their just surprised I can swing my leg over it at my age.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

If you guys really want to know, here is the gov't website that explains it all.

http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic...ctor-vehicles#

Typical gov't stuff.

Comment

From what I read, paint color is not an issue, aftermarket parts would be, primarily the exhaust on these would be the toughest thing to get correct since they are unobtainable.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                          If you guys really want to know, here is the gov't website that explains it all.

http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic...ctor-vehicles#

Typical gov't stuff.
                          Go over to the right side of that page and read the "Related documents" page.
                          Now, what were you worrying about, again?
                          You've got enough wiggle room there to have a dance contest in.

"Don't worry, be happy" (Bobby McFerrin '88)

CZ

Comment

Yes read that and have a copy, it comes with the application when you download it. :-) There def. is wiggle room. I have corresponded with a group in Vancouver that are big Brit bike restorers, and they and the BMW group get hassled all the time by ICBC for period incorrect seats and especially pinstriping on tanks. It seems like it's a throw the dice kind of thing. At least you get to argue the point with ICBC.

Comment

It could also be that the other guys went in with an attitude, and pi$$ed off the powers that be.
                              From my own experience, loud pipes will definately make them start nit picking.
                              Might be worthwhile to borrow a set of stock pipes, get the inspection, and then put the after market ones back on, if they are not too loud.
                              Noise seems to be the biggest gripe of the non riding complainers, and there are more of them than there are of us, so guess who the man listens to?
                              Good luck

CZ

Comment

Working...
                              X