1982 XS1100???? What is this bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 XS1100???? What is this bike?

This bike is sitting 60 miles from me for 1600 dollars. I never heard of an 82 XS before, especially one with this weird paint job. Is this factory? Is it a Venturer?

Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

It's not an '82 and it's not stock paint. It appears to be an XS11 standard. I can't really tell much more from the photo. The seat is custom as well.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

looking at the lines of the tank, i would say no it isnt a venturer.
      it certainly is an XS1100 standard with after market exhaust and
      what seems to be a nice paint job. 82 ??? get the vins and verify.
      for 1600 ? not cheap. not expensive.
      Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
      1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

Just got an email back from owner, says it IS all original paint, seat, but not exhaust. Says it already qualified for collector plates too, which is interesting because collector plates in BC are tough to get. Has to be all stock or period correct accessories only. Weird. Says previous owner had collector plates on it already????
        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

That's a '78 or '79 (by the sidecovers) and is not 'original'. Non-stock paint, seat, and exhaust for starters. The remainder appears to be OEM, but I'd check. The last year of XS11 production was '81, the '82 -84 canadian models were all XJ11s...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

It might have Venturer handlebars based on the height needed to clear the mongo-sized tank, but the tank does not look that big. The rack looks like a venturer rack, if the top assembly is adjustable towards the rider. I think it should have an OEM oil cooler if it is a Venturer.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

PS, the VIN on the frame neck should match the numbers on the engine (crank case?) by the clutch cover. Not all of the VIN numbers will be there, but I think the last 6? numbers should be consistent.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

My guess is a '79 by the look of the rear brake light.
                Definitely an earlier one. The Speedo and side covers but it as a 78/79.
                Another good indicator would be a kickstart. Ask if it has one.

Oh, and where's the RH mirror?
                Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                The Green Monster
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                Got him in '04.
                bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                Scarlet
                K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                Got her in '11
                Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                Hugo
                Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                Cold weather ride

Comment

Are you guys saying that a PO might have his facts all jumbled up and not really know what he was dealing with to the point of making claims that are impossible? Stop this blasphemy now!
                  "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

By the way, I think it is really cool how Yamaha anticipated the color scheme of a helmet that would come out over twenty years later and produce a bike with the same paint job.
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Ah, you guys are killin' me.

If this bike had collector plates, then my bike should be no prob!! My next thought is find a really nice original xs650 for the short jaunts I do. It'll get me the $15 dollars a month collector insurance too.

Comment

Not Original Paint

I tend to agree with others on the paint, never, ever have I seen one like it. AND, when you consider the helmet is matching to the scheme to the bike, it has to be a custom paint job, no doubt...
                        Current Rides:
                        02 GL1800 Wing
                        79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
                        81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Yeah, as others have said, '78 or '79 standard. NOT stock paint, maybe a custom dealer paint but not a factory paint.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That bike is def Not factory original paint... period.... and probably... " idles a bit rough and JUST needs a carb clean. And also probable JUST needs an oil / filter change because 2nd gear is feeling a bit notchy.." LOL
                            1978 XS1100E , 1979 Special, 1980 XS11 Standard, 1978 & 79 XS750.

2nd Gear is Waaayyyy Overrated !!

Comment

Definitely a 78-79 Standard. BTW, carrier rack is NOT correct for a Venturer anyways. The Venturer carrier rack bars run parrelel with bike. Seat base IS 78vintage, but has been redone/modified. Tank is a Standard but not Venturer. Paint IS custom, and definitely not from dealer. Actually that is a fairly nice example of an XSessive Frankenbike.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X