pilot screw is destroyed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pilot screw is destroyed...

So I know there have been some threads about this, but I've already gone through and tried the suggestions, to no avail... I've thought about just bringing the carb body to a local bike mechanic who'd be familiar with it and have him get it out for me, but my ego has me wanting to give it one last try... Tried to drill a small pilot hole in it and use a screw extractor bit, but all that happened was the extractor bit removed more of the pilot screw which is obviously made of warm butter... Any help you guys can give would be amazing, pictures always help, and recommendations for what kind of dremel bit I need, etc. Feeling like quite the silly man at the moment...
    81 XS11

Some have successfully removed stuck pilots but I'm not one of them.

What # carb is it? I'll see if I have one and you can just you can replace the body.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Certainly not trying to steal the thread here or step on any toes but .....noticed you mentioned you may have some individual carbs? I would be interested if you had a #3 with good float posts and such. This would be for the 78-79 style. #3 has the idle speed adj. on it. Thanks, Bob

Comment

I had a similar situation, only I broke the extractor off inside the mix screw. I wound up taking the carbs to a machinist. He milled the screw out to the minor diameter and I was able to use a small Stainless nail to pop out the remaining material in one chunk.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by TallBob View Post
          Certainly not trying to steal the thread here or step on any toes but .....noticed you mentioned you may have some individual carbs? I would be interested if you had a #3 with good float posts and such. This would be for the 78-79 style. #3 has the idle speed adj. on it. Thanks, Bob
          Sorry Bob. That #3 seems to be a problem child and I've used all the early ones I had.

A #1 carb body will work there also if you swap out the butterfly shaft.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            Some have successfully removed stuck pilots but I'm not one of them.

What # carb is it? I'll see if I have one and you can just you can replace the body.
            I believe it's the #4 carb, or #1... My pseudo dyslexia doesn't help much in this situation... It's the one to the far right of the bank (if you're looking down at the carbs while seated on the bike...). And I belieeeve the carbs are from an '81 midnight special... I actually have a spare body but I haven't been able to get the screws loose from the carb body's mounting points on the bracket... Already had to grind a large slot in the screws to get a big flathead screwdriver in but it has me feeling like quite the wimp... Any suggestions on this?
            81 XS11

Comment

Lots of penetrating oil. Not WD-40, but PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench. Spray and let it sit, spray some more, let it sit some more. I have learned that this is the only way to work on these carbs.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

If trying to drill out something stuck like this, I always use a left-handed drill bit. Worst case, I drill a hole; best case, the bit breaks the it loose.

That said, I'm always nervous about taking a drill to something like a carb body..

Maybe a combination of penetrating oil and gentle heat?
                82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                Website/Blog

Comment

You will have a tough time drilling out that screw without clamping the body in a vise and indicating that hole. That is how I have done a few. But I do have access to a Mill. DGXSR is right. A Machinist will get it out right and quick.
                  80 SG XS1100
                  14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Do you have a hand/hammer driven impact driver? They're great for getting out screws and such on these motorcycles.

If not, I got my second one at O'rielys for under $15.

Originally posted by GTalmageNOLA View Post
                    I believe it's the #4 carb, or #1... My pseudo dyslexia doesn't help much in this situation... It's the one to the far right of the bank (if you're looking down at the carbs while seated on the bike...). And I belieeeve the carbs are from an '81 midnight special... I actually have a spare body but I haven't been able to get the screws loose from the carb body's mounting points on the bracket... Already had to grind a large slot in the screws to get a big flathead screwdriver in but it has me feeling like quite the wimp... Any suggestions on this?
                    Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
                    1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
                    2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
                    2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

Originally posted by GTalmageNOLA View Post
                      I'll check and see what I have.

I've gotten those screws loose with a good pair if Channel Locks by grabbing the head and busting it loose or with a center punch and a small hammer on the edge of the head.

I hate those phillips screws, good idea to head down to the hardware store and get some allen bolts and replace them when you go back together with it.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I'm not sure but I thing I had the same problem. I hope my picture will help you.

83 XJ1100
                        06 FZ1 naked abarth

Comment

Originally posted by le_bucheron View Post
                          I'm not sure but I thing I had the same problem. I hope my picture will help you.

Ouch!........that housing will still work fine though. Not so much for the idle mix screw. If it hadn't been ground so deep, could of re-slotted it with a dremal and the small cut-off wheel......makes a perfect srewdriver slot. Square it off and re-slot it. Even if slot ends up into a couple threads down, it'll work fine.....BTDT.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

+1

Originally posted by Petersg_99 View Post
                            Do you have a hand/hammer driven impact driver? They're great for getting out screws and such on these motorcycles.

If not, I got my second one at O'rielys for under $15.
                            +1

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...&ved=0CK0BEMMf
                            1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                            1980 XS1100 Special
                            1990 V Max
                            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                            1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                            1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

I throw it in the scrap. I had a spare cabs set...
                              83 XJ1100
                              06 FZ1 naked abarth

Comment

Working...
                              X