Broken Idle Mixture Screw Removal Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Idle Mixture Screw Removal Tip

I looked in the tech tips and I didn't see anything like this in the broken idle mixture screw removal posts. It works great.

I had 2 broken mixture screws in the carbs from the E I just aquired. After spending a week and using every method, tool, and dirty word I had trying to get them out as I had in other carbs I finally broke down and ordered one of these.

A pin vise drill. The best $30 I've spent in a while.
    It took me all of 30 minutes to get those stubborn broken ends ot of there!
    I just chose a bit that fit through the oraface and began to gently drill away at it. The thing is hand operated so it doesn't just rip stuff up.

The aluminum is harder than the brass so it actually acts as a guide for the bit and keeps it digging at the brass and doesn't damage the carb body. When the bit came through inside the venturi the remainder of the tip just fell out.

Just thought you might want to add this to the tech tips.

This is where I ordered mine from but I'm sure there are other places to source them.

http://www.micromark.com/pin-vise-an...-set,7804.html
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Great tip! We'll see if we get any comments before moving this to the tech tips!
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

That is a good method, +1

There are a bunch of cheap knockoffs on Ebay of these, need to buy the drill bits separately though.
      Last edited by bikerphil; 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        That is a good method, +1

There are a bunch of cheap knockoffs on Ebay of these, need to buy the drill bits separately though.
        This one is pretty high quality. Anything on fleabay is a gamble.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That looks like a good tool Greg. I have been looking for a decent quality one for work. Thanks for the link.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

thank you very much! ! didn't know such drill exist
            79 XS11

Comment

aluminum is harder than the brass
              seems counter to what I would think. Is that true? Just asking.

Got a new project with this issue. Need to know.
              79SF
              XJ11
              78E

Comment

The cast is harder than the brass, the bit didn't even make a mark that I can see.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

They are both fairly soft. Brass is more brittle. Aluminum is more gummy. It's pretty easy to machine either. So you need to be fairly accurate. Just use the smallest drill you can, then work up from there.
                  80 SG XS1100
                  14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Actually it probably doesn't matter that much, your only talking about around 1/16" - 1/32".
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Nice find Greg

That will work for drilling jets also.

Maybe even save a 2:30 trip to the dentist
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                      X