Wiring Harness ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spayne83 View Post
    While I am not completely sold on the benefits of crimping (I did read the whole thread), I also know when there are those that know more than I do, so I think that I will go with crimps since I can do that in the living room.

I'd rather not cut the insulation off of Lowe's connectors, so could anyone recommend a good place to get uninsulated connectors?
    Finding factory connectors can be a pain. Your best bet is to not waste gas running around to part stores and just buy them online.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by spayne83 View Post
      ...I'd rather not cut the insulation off of Lowe's connectors, so could anyone recommend a good place to get uninsulated connectors?
      They're hard to find, so just cut the insulation off what you have. There's no difference otherwise. To buy quality uninsulated connectors most places, you'll need to buy by the box, usually 100. Can get expensive....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Can anybody tell me if these butt connectors are worth buying?

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Insulated-...rimp+connector
        79 SF 3H3 Engine, 145/45 Mikuni Jets, El Cheapo Pod Filter Mod w/ EMGO Pods, Coil Repower w/ Dyna Coils, Accell Wires and Side Gapped Plugs, 78 Mech Advance, 4-2 Turnouts

Comment

Those will be fine, although you'll need a few of the larger/smaller sizes if doing major repairs. The main thing with these is having the right crimper; U-shaped opening, not football shaped.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I don't use butt connectors for anything. I twist the wires together, then solder them and shrink tube em. My idea is that the solder keeps corrosion from entering the wire strands. With any connector, if you don't solder them, corrosion can ruin the connection. It was argued earlier that soldering weakens the wire strands going into the connector, I've also noticed this. So when I solder, I make sure to use just enough to fill the connector crimp and leave it at that. I also hate when the solder goes into the wire jacket.
            "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
            X