Wiring Harness ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Harness ID

Can anyone tell me what this wiring harness is from? It looks to have a fuse panel by the headlight, so I know it is not a 79 XS wiring harness.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310527030619...84.m1497.l2649
    79 SF 3H3 Engine, 145/45 Mikuni Jets, El Cheapo Pod Filter Mod w/ EMGO Pods, Coil Repower w/ Dyna Coils, Accell Wires and Side Gapped Plugs, 78 Mech Advance, 4-2 Turnouts

It's sold so I can't view it up close. Did you buy it?
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Unfortunately, yes. It looks like it has a handlebar mounted blade style fuse box.
      79 SF 3H3 Engine, 145/45 Mikuni Jets, El Cheapo Pod Filter Mod w/ EMGO Pods, Coil Repower w/ Dyna Coils, Accell Wires and Side Gapped Plugs, 78 Mech Advance, 4-2 Turnouts

Comment

Here are some pictures, don't know if that will help.

Comment

If you have your old harness still, and you follow the wiring diagram you should be able to make your own harness. If that harness is for a Yamaha, then most of the color coding will be the same as yours. They were real good about that. It's a good thing to have a chip fuse panel instead of the old tube style. Can you post some more pics?

I wired up a set of Virago gauge pods on my bike and completely rebuilt my wiring harness. When I was done the results were well worth it. My lights are brighter, everything works as intended, and I eliminated a lot of trouble making things about my original wiring in the process. But to answer your question, I have no idea what that harness came off of.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

My guess is that's it's from a much more modern bike with as many fuses as it has, is there a tag anywhere on it showing a part #?

Comment

I'll put up some pictures tonight, but I also have a XS650 (supposedly) harness as well, so I think the cobbled together harness is going to happen. Between the three, I should be able to make one working one.

Comment

Originally posted by spayne83 View Post
                I'll put up some pictures tonight, but I also have a XS650 (supposedly) harness as well, so I think the cobbled together harness is going to happen. Between the three, I should be able to make one working one.
                Hi Spencer,
                FYI; Clymer's books show 9 different XS650 wiring diagrams and 4 for the XS11.
                OTOH, if there's enough of your bike's original harness left undamaged
                that it'll work as a guide you can most likely knit yourself a new one quite easily.
                FWIW, the good expensive 100% crimps and crimping pliers are said to work better than Mr. Oldfashioned's solder and shrinksleeve methodology
                but the el-cheapo 70% if you are lucky crimps and pliers from the local auto store work worse.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I found out the hard way 2 years ago-most people selling a wiring harness for our bikes don't know what they have.I bought a harness from a cycle salvage shop and it was not for my bike.When i argued the woman told me that their people were experts but they could have made a mistake and a lot of times there is no refund.
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  xschop K & N air filter setup
                  Dynojet Recalibration kit
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

spayne83, probably the best route for ya, is to send Andreashweiss a PM and see if he has a harness for your bike, then you know it's not only the right one but it'll be in good shape also
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Maybe Honda VT250, VF500, maybe other Honda's too

Clicky

Clicky

HTH (though probably not )
                      Tom

Tom
                      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

After I get the bike running I'm going to pull off my harness and use the two I have as donors to repair it.

I'll be using the solder and heat shrink method as I already have everything and it is 100% guaranteed to work.

My main goal is to clean up the wiring and hide as much of it as I can as the bike is headed toward cafe land.

The VF500F is spot on as far as the case goes, but I'll need to pull up a wiring diagram to make sure.

Thanks for the help guys.
                        Last edited by spayne83; 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spayne83 View Post
                          ...I'll be using the solder and heat shrink method as I already have everything and it is 100% guaranteed to work..
                          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=solder
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Just a thought.

As the fuse box on our bikes is crap, is it possible that someone has fitted a Honda fusebox to an XS1100 wiring harness as a repair. If thats the case you may well have bought an XS1100 harness, check out the rest of it before writing off as a wrong'un.

Or maybe not

I agree on the crimping, I made a harness for my '66 Triumph by soldering and regret it now, luckily theres not many wires to change to crimped. The solder makes the wire just outside the terminal hard and prone to snapping.

Tom
                            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

While I am not completely sold on the benefits of crimping (I did read the whole thread), I also know when there are those that know more than I do, so I think that I will go with crimps since I can do that in the living room.

I'd rather not cut the insulation off of Lowe's connectors, so could anyone recommend a good place to get uninsulated connectors?

Comment

Working...
                              X