drive shaft removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drive shaft removal

1980 1100 special: after i've peeled back the rubber boot and removed the 4 nuts holding the shaft to the drive are there any other pins/clips/etc. that need to be removed before the shaft can be pulled out? neither the oem nor clymers repair manuals specify.thanks for the help

The front driveshaft splines are held into the u-joint by a compressed internal clip. It will pop loose by itself and remain on the driveshaft when pulling the shaft rearward.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Part # 36 below...

2H7 (79)
      3H3

Comment

thanks for the help guys. does the spring clip reseat itself when the shaft is pushed back in? in other words, can i screw it up?

Comment

do i even need to unbolt the u-joint if all i want to do is remove the shaft to lube the front end of it?

Comment

You can install the driveshaft with the clip in it's natural position on the shaft, just tap it back into place, it will re-seat. And no, the U-joint doesn't need to be unbolted/removed to grease the front splines.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

thanks, phil

Comment

No problem Mark. Mind you it will be a bit tricky installing the driveshaft, getting the angle of the U-joint exactly straight with one hand while inserting the driveshaft with the other. It helps to look down the swingarm tube with a flashlight to get the U-joint in the correct position. Have a little patience and you will be rewarded, good luck!
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

i'll remember that as soon as i can get the shaft out! seems to be stuck in there. there's really no place to grab the rear end of it... does it take a real yank to dislodge it? any clues? anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by 650mark View Post
                    i'll remember that as soon as i can get the shaft out! seems to be stuck in there. there's really no place to grab the rear end of it... does it take a real yank to dislodge it? any clues? anybody?
                    Yes, it takes a good yank, I use a 90 degree hook screwdriver type tool and tapping on the base of the handle rearward to remove it. You could also wrap some good strong wire around it and yank it loose.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

- - - does it take a real yank to dislodge it? any clues? anybody?
                      Hi Mark,
                      no, a southron can do it too.
                      wrap the rear end spline in a protective cloth, clip a vise-grip on there and give the vise-grip a smack with a hammer.
                      BTW, when you pull the rear drive there's a little spring behind the splineshaft.
                      (part #37) Don't lose it.
                      Last edited by fredintoon; 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

GOT IT! took a real pull and a grunt, but out it came. lubed it up(the easy part) and now trying to get it back in. i can get it just started, i can feel that its going in as far as the spring clip and i can rotate the shaft and the trans is rotating as well but i can't seem to get it all the way in. does it take a good smack with a deadblow hammer to compress the spring clip or should it just slip right in?

Comment

GOT IT! took a real pull and a grunt, but out it came. lubed it up(the easy part) and now trying to get it back in. i can get it just started, i can feel that its going in as far as the spring clip and i can rotate the shaft and the trans is rotating as well but i can't seem to get it all the way in. does it take a good smack with a deadblow hammer to compress the spring clip or should it just slip right in?
                          If it is partially in the u-joint and the splines are lined up, tap/smack it back in.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

GOT IT AGAIN! just took a little more of a smack than i was using. all back together again and good for a long time now. thanks again for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                            X